The best day to have your CHEAT meal

Rush8780

Rush8780

Awards
I was just wondering everyones opinion on whats the best day to have a once a week cheat meal. I have heard from tons of people always have your cheat meal on one of your weight training days. For me I am currently on a maintenance diet and I have my cheat meal on Saturday night with my wife and kids. Saturday for me is a NON-WEIGHT TRAINING day. Although i do perform HIIT training on this day just don't lift weights. Just asking some opinions and advice on if anyone thinks this really makes that big of a difference on fat gain and results. I don't want to do it if it messes up my weeks worth of hard training. Like i said i do perform 30 min of HIIT training, usually jump ropes or sprints. I just don't lift weights. Thanks everyone for the opinions and advice.

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
I personally like to schedule my refeeds or "cheats" on days with lagging body parts or grueling workouts. I try to do it after legs since I'm usually in the gym the longest and I'm spent and then the day after do back since that's what I'm trying to bring up

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
I prefer it on my big lift days as well but if your schedule is Saturday it's no biggie. Enjoy your weekend w/ the fam that's more important

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A cheat? If I go out with a friend or on a special occasion. A refeed, a day of a lagging body part, tough workout session, or day before a tough workout.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
It depends on how you cheat, i prefer off training days to let the extra cals/carbs aid in recovery...

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Leg day for me. I probably burn twice as many calories in the same amount of time as any other workout when I do legs.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Great read for you regarding this:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_cheat_meal_manifesto

Agree with this before a major bodypart or lagging bodypart day. Sometimes its a non-workout day sometimes its on a workout day. As long as you are consistent with a cheat once a week or two times a week or however you take them, that is all that matters.
Thank you for posting that. I read that when it first came out, but forgot to bookmark it and lost it!

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yea since my show I've had more cheat meals than ever. My metabolism is on fire. It's crazy lol I can't gain weight either, so I've been bumping my calories every two weeks by 100-200 until I gain weight.

That's a good read though

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It depends on how you cheat, i prefer off training days to let the extra cals/carbs aid in recovery...
This is what I do. The weekend = my off days, generally. I enjoy myself a bit on the weekends. It works out well. I recover, have fun, and am ready for a new training week by Monday.

If I know I'm going to have an intense training session, I just load up on BCAA's + electrolytes pre/intra and have extra carbs after. I can't really enjoy a feast or cheat meal before a training session, even if it's optimal. I prefer to do that on off days with friends / a date / etc.. All about that work/life balance lol

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
If i ever ate a cheat meal before a training session i would probably feel awful.

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
If i ever ate a cheat meal before a training session i would probably feel awful.
Depends on what type of food you consider a cheat right? I enjoy large quantities of fish and rice then a big bowl of clam chowder. I feel like a beast after :)

Rush8780

Rush8780

Awards
Yeah I agree, I got my buddies "getting out of the military" get together Tommorow now at a local pizza joint. Sucks cuz that's actually an off day from training for me, plus it's not my scheduled cheat meal, which will take away my Saturday night cheat

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Yeah I agree, I got my buddies "getting out of the military" get together Tommorow now at a local pizza joint. Sucks cuz that's actually an off day from training for me, plus it's not my scheduled cheat meal, which will take away my Saturday night cheat
So instead of saturday have it wednesday. move on with life and get back to it next saturday?
Where is the harm?

Rush8780

Rush8780

Awards
Yeah your right bro, even with it being a non- training day? My leg day is the next day tho

reps4jesus

reps4jesus

Awards
I personally like to schedule my refeeds or "cheats" on days with lagging body parts or grueling workouts. I try to do it after legs since I'm usually in the gym the longest and I'm spent and then the day after do back since that's what I'm trying to bring up
^ this is great advice

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah your right bro, even with it being a non- training day? My leg day is the next day tho
If you read the article and advice ITT, you would see people suggest a refeed or cheat the day before a tough workout. Assuming your leg day is hard, but I assume everyone's is.