Tips for helping reach caloric intake - Traveling Job

Lamik81

Awards
About me - I'm 5'10 170 as of now. My bf sits around 13-15% and I work out 3-4 times a week in a row then I'm back off to work. My TDEE is 2300 and BMR 1700. I've done a lot of reading and I manage to eat clean, however, I struggle to meet my caloric intake daily. I work for the airlines and I'm constantly stuck in airports.

Can anyone give me some advice on packing meals for the road. I know that seems like a pretty broad topic for help but I currently bring:

Sweet Potatoes
Cottage Cheese with Oats
Almonds
Turkey balls/Chicken Breast/Steak
Whole Wheat pasta
Protein Powder
Protein Bars
Broccoli

When I toss this all in MyFitnessPal, I'm always depressed at the end of the day and I'm below my TDEE. I know thats mostly on me due to not adding it all up prior to packing for travel. However, it seems finding meals that are high in nutrients and calories are also bulky and hard to pack. Can anyone point me to some receipe ideas that have high calories.

Thanks in advance

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Trail Mix, Granola, Hard Boiled Eggs, beef Jerky, String Cheese, Yogurt Packs, Nut Butters, Pasta/Rice, Banana's., Bagels.

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
Trail Mix, Granola, Hard Boiled Eggs, beef Jerky, String Cheese, Yogurt Packs, Nut Butters, Pasta/Rice, Banana's., Bagels.
This. Non perishable, calorie dense foods is what you want.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
I keep jugs of Protean in my car during college session to make sure I always have something on hand.

Levyii

Levyii

Awards
  • Established
Everything above are fantastic suggestions. If you aren't counting macros specifically, peanut butter will totally get you to your TDEE as it has almost 200 calories in 2 tbsp. Steak will have more fat in it than chicken or turkey and therefore more calories. If you aren't one of those who watches your red meat intake maybe increase the amount of steak you take with you. granola as mentioned above is great too, most of those calories come from sugars and carbs though so if that's something you are watching just be mindful of that. There are some protein bars out there (the names escape me) that have almost 400 calories to them as well. Maybe switch up the protein bars you take.

Lamik81

Awards
Thanks to everyone! I've just begun in the last 5 weeks or so monitoring my intake and looking to new goals. I guess in the process I haven't studied much on calories per gram from fat vs protein vs carbs. I set my p c f at 30 40 30 and might have steered myself to far from healthy fats. The other problem I'm having is making meals or what not that are pack able and compact: I know chili with turkey and kidney beans with a scoop of protein can go a long way, but any suggestions from others that are packing these kind of meals for on the road?

Levyii

Levyii

Awards
  • Established
Depends on if you have access to something to heat up meals or can eat them
Cold. I'll be honest, I've eaten cold chicken and broccoli in my car before. Cold pasta too. Sometimes I take a can of tuna and just eat straight from the can. I've eaten cold steak that I didn't precut before taking it with me ( not a pretty site to see a girl with 6oz of steak stabbed with a fork lol). All depends on your preferences.

wolfpack893

wolfpack893

Awards
  • Established
check out lentils, high in good carbs plus protein as well,

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Thanks to everyone! I've just begun in the last 5 weeks or so monitoring my intake and looking to new goals. I guess in the process I haven't studied much on calories per gram from fat vs protein vs carbs. I set my p c f at 30 40 30 and might have steered myself to far from healthy fats. The other problem I'm having is making meals or what not that are pack able and compact: I know chili with turkey and kidney beans with a scoop of protein can go a long way, but any suggestions from others that are packing these kind of meals for on the road?
Stick with the foods above. VERY portable and easy to take and non-perishable.

dkgreene88

dkgreene88

Awards
  • Established
All those foods mentioned look good. Keep a couple jugs of protean in there and your set to travel

Lamik81

Awards
I think I was neglecting fat intake and the calories it packs at 80-90 grams