• First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Alan Aragon Posted this on his FB wall
Pretty funny read:

Paleo is the Scientology of Diets | Six Pack Abs

Paleo can end up excluding nutritious foods for no other reason than its proponents think that we didn’t eat them a long time ago, and so we shouldn’t eat them now. Secondly, it’s dangerous for your financial future to be forking out big bucks for paleo-approved products, because such things usually don’t come cheap. Apparently that bulletproof coffee crap is paleo, and it costs a bloody fortune.

Nutrition expert Alan Aragon summed up paleo pretty nicely in an interview I did with him. He said the paleo diet, which is really just a form of low-carb dieting that its advocates presume our Stone Age, hunter-gatherer ancestors ate, is just another fad. “Paleo philosophy is wrong on a couple of different levels,” he told me. “They say our ancestors didn’t eat grains, and therefore we shouldn’t eat grains. First, our ancestors did eat grains. There is also the logical error that if our ancestors didn’t eat something we shouldn’t either. Well, our ancestors didn’t concern themselves with optimal nutrition, they just wanted to survive.”

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wonder if this is an actual critique or another strawman attack like his previous piece on it

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wonder if this is an actual critique or another strawman attack like his previous piece on it
It is. There's a lot of fallacious errors on Paleo and, not by coincidence, CrossFit "articles."

braskibra

braskibra

Awards

I think all that could have been condensed into about 5 pages. I understand his points but it seems like he's made it his personal mission to go after the paleo diet. To me, if it gets America even .1% healthier (ie takes someone eating horribly and gets them to make better food choices ) then I'm fine with it.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For what it is worth, this article isn't actually written by Alan, he just posted it.

braskibra

braskibra

Awards
For what it is worth, this article isn't actually written by Alan, he just posted it.

??

The NSCA article is written and titled Paleo: Claims vs Evidence by alan aragon

Idk just seems like hes beating a deadhorse

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
??

The NSCA article is written and titled Paleo: Claims vs Evidence by alan aragon

Idk just seems like hes beating a deadhorse
Ben is referring to the article linked in the OP.

Based off the title of the thread and that Aragon was pushing it on FB I had assumed he wrote it for the site. I didn't click the link so it was my fault for assuming the author.

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
That's funny...I literally just got done reading this stupid ass article and was about to start a thread on it when I saw The Solution already did.

The article is absolutely retarded and is just a baseless rant.

It's exactly a strawman attack. Gotta love his example of the "Disney Diet" (what the ****?).

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
I agree it's a stupid article, but is it even for real?? I figured it was a joke just to irritate all the paleo followers out there. Can't see how anyone would actually seriously use any of the points as a legitimate argument against paleo.