Alan Aragon Goes off on Paleo

  1. Elite Member
    The Solution's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    8,939
    Answers
    0

    Alan Aragon Goes off on Paleo


    Alan Aragon Posted this on his FB wall
    Pretty funny read:

    Paleo is the Scientology of Diets | Six Pack Abs

    Paleo can end up excluding nutritious foods for no other reason than its proponents think that we didn’t eat them a long time ago, and so we shouldn’t eat them now. Secondly, it’s dangerous for your financial future to be forking out big bucks for paleo-approved products, because such things usually don’t come cheap. Apparently that bulletproof coffee crap is paleo, and it costs a bloody fortune.


    Nutrition expert Alan Aragon summed up paleo pretty nicely in an interview I did with him. He said the paleo diet, which is really just a form of low-carb dieting that its advocates presume our Stone Age, hunter-gatherer ancestors ate, is just another fad. “Paleo philosophy is wrong on a couple of different levels,” he told me. “They say our ancestors didn’t eat grains, and therefore we shouldn’t eat grains. First, our ancestors did eat grains. There is also the logical error that if our ancestors didn’t eat something we shouldn’t either. Well, our ancestors didn’t concern themselves with optimal nutrition, they just wanted to survive.”
    Team Inov8 Elite Performance


  2. Pro Virili Parte
    JudoJosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8,815
    Answers
    0

    Wonder if this is an actual critique or another strawman attack like his previous piece on it
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  3. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,157
    Answers
    1

    Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    Wonder if this is an actual critique or another strawman attack like his previous piece on it
    It is. There's a lot of fallacious errors on Paleo and, not by coincidence, CrossFit "articles."
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

    •   
       

  4. New Member
    braskibra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    444
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    Wonder if this is an actual critique or another strawman attack like his previous piece on it
    interested for answer

  5. Pro Virili Parte
    JudoJosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8,815
    Answers
    0

    This is his past critique that I was referencing - http://www.nsca.com/uploadedFiles/NS...ook/Aragon.pdf
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  6. New Member
    braskibra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    444
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    This is his past critique that I was referencing - http://www.nsca.com/uploadedFiles/NS...ook/Aragon.pdf

    I think all that could have been condensed into about 5 pages. I understand his points but it seems like he's made it his personal mission to go after the paleo diet. To me, if it gets America even .1% healthier (ie takes someone eating horribly and gets them to make better food choices ) then I'm fine with it.

  7. Diamond Member
    bdcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10,174
    Answers
    2

    For what it is worth, this article isn't actually written by Alan, he just posted it.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com

  8. New Member
    braskibra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    444
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by bdcc View Post
    For what it is worth, this article isn't actually written by Alan, he just posted it.

    ??

    The NSCA article is written and titled Paleo: Claims vs Evidence by alan aragon

    Idk just seems like hes beating a deadhorse

  9. Pro Virili Parte
    JudoJosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8,815
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by braskibra View Post
    ??

    The NSCA article is written and titled Paleo: Claims vs Evidence by alan aragon

    Idk just seems like hes beating a deadhorse
    Ben is referring to the article linked in the OP.

    Based off the title of the thread and that Aragon was pushing it on FB I had assumed he wrote it for the site. I didn't click the link so it was my fault for assuming the author.
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  10. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator
    David Dunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    49
    Posts
    11,723
    Answers
    0

  11. New Member
    JXiiXViii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    63
    Answers
    0

    That's funny...I literally just got done reading this stupid ass article and was about to start a thread on it when I saw The Solution already did.

    The article is absolutely retarded and is just a baseless rant.

    Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    Wonder if this is an actual critique or another strawman attack like his previous piece on it
    It's exactly a strawman attack. Gotta love his example of the "Disney Diet" (what the ****?).

  12. New Member
    Johnston's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  172 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    365
    Answers
    0

    I agree it's a stupid article, but is it even for real?? I figured it was a joke just to irritate all the paleo followers out there. Can't see how anyone would actually seriously use any of the points as a legitimate argument against paleo.

  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Alan Aragon and Brad Schoenfeld recent research on protein
    By The Solution in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-23-2014, 07:50 PM
  2. interview with Alan Aragon on paleo diet
    By JudoJosh in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-06-2013, 08:08 AM
  3. HGH off / on - or always on.
    By Poobah in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-18-2005, 09:19 AM
  4. Taking a week oFF, on cycle...
    By bullfx in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-24-2004, 09:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in