IFBB pro Shelby Starnes on his cutting food intake

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
Okay before some people lose their mind after watching this keep in mind that his a nutritionist for A LOT of people that compete and he is known for being pretty healthy.Also mentioned this:
I'm honestly surprised to hear that you get most of your protein from shakes. Is there a reason for this or do you just find it easier to do while dieting? Do you also do the same thing during the off season or do you get more whole meals in the off season?
I do the same thing offseason. Cheaper, more convenient, works just fine.
There's nothing wrong with doing all whole foods if that's what someone prefers, but to say that it's better is just silly.

EWolfe08

EWolfe08

Awards
Yep. Those are about the exact same foods I eat. Minus the ezekiel bread, I almost eat all oats and sometimes brown or white rice as my carb sources.

I love the costco turkey burgers too. out of my 6 meals a day. 3 include whey/casein protein. one is my post workout shake 2 scoops whey. The two others are my protein pancakes which are 6 egg whites + 1 scoop whey. And 1 scoop Casein in my last one which is before bed.

Half the fun is trying all the different brands and flavors of protein!

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
Yep. Those are about the exact same foods I eat. Minus the ezekiel bread, I almost eat all oats and sometimes brown or white rice as my carb sources.I love the costco turkey burgers too. out of my 6 meals a day. 3 include whey/casein protein. one is my post workout shake 2 scoops whey. The two others are my protein pancakes which are 6 egg whites + 1 scoop whey. And 1 scoop Casein in my last one which is before bed. Half the fun is trying all the different brands and flavors of protein!
I gave up and stuck to one kind of protein but what I do is play with my food flavoring with seasoning, different types of cooking it, and adding things like splenda to random things (which shockingly comes out good a lot of times) lol.

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
Well I just bought 20lbs of whey instead of 5lbs by accident, so I've been having at least 4-5 scoops a day lol

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Its also something to note that whole foods contain far more micronutrients and vitamins/minerals than a very heavily whey processed powder ever will, but you should still strive for a mix of both if you need whey to help reach your protein intake. Especially bulking, when your kcals get very high it may help reduce bloat with liquid kcals (shakes)

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Shakes are cheaper and more convenient but they just don't fill me up.

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
Or cutting, smoothie fill you dafuk up. Throw in some blueberries yummm

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
Yep. Those are about the exact same foods I eat. Minus the ezekiel bread, I almost eat all oats and sometimes brown or white rice as my carb sources. I love the costco turkey burgers too. out of my 6 meals a day. 3 include whey/casein protein. one is my post workout shake 2 scoops whey. The two others are my protein pancakes which are 6 egg whites + 1 scoop whey. And 1 scoop Casein in my last one which is before bed. Half the fun is trying all the different brands and flavors of protein!
Is whole wheat bagels bad carb sources? I love them!

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
It is also very important what kind of whey protein you use. If you are using those cheap whey concentrate then ya I would not be a big fan of them. He covers this a good bit a couple of times (and one time his friend john meadow went into really good details about Whey protein) on how many times they use Whey protein, the type of process, and so on. I literally have tried over 2 dozen whey proteins and I keep going back to what I have been using constantly on side which is Muscle Feast. They do sales on their news letter sign-up and I can get 5lbs of pure whey protein isolate or 5lbs whey protein hydrolized for $54. Shipping last time was free I think on $150 so I picked up 3 of them. 81 servings each container so I'm set for a while.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
It is also very important what kind of whey protein you use. If you are using those cheap whey concentrate then ya I would not be a big fan of them. He covers this a good bit a couple of times (and one time his friend john meadow went into really good details about Whey protein) on how many times they use Whey protein, the type of process, and so on. I literally have tried over 2 dozen whey proteins and I keep going back to what I have been using constantly on side which is Muscle Feast. They do sales on their news letter sign-up and I can get 5lbs of pure whey protein isolate or 5lbs whey protein hydrolized for $54. Shipping last time was free I think on $150 so I picked up 3 of them. 81 servings each container so I'm set for a while.
Are you a rep?

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
I literally have tried over 2 dozen whey proteins and I keep going back to what I have been using constantly on side which is Muscle Feast.
I completely agree. Ever since I have tried Muscle Feast Whey it has now become pretty much the only Whey protein I will buy. Every now and then I will try another protein if it's on sale and most of the time I will give the tub away before I am finished with it :) I have not found anything that comes close to Muscle Feast Whey for me. I also really like the fact that it is naturally sweetened.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just ordered 15 pounds and it literally tastes like crap, but I'll get used to it. Like the fact it's naturally favored and zero fat.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There are a few pros that I've heard say they do just shakes. Yablon is another I can think of ATM.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
Just ordered 15 pounds and it literally tastes like crap, but I'll get used to it. Like the fact it's naturally favored and zero fat.
What protein (I'm guessing Whey Isolate) and what flavor did you get?

My favorite is the Chocolate 100% Whey with the Chocolate Whey Isolate being second. I have almost given up on trying any other Whey proteins. I didn't mind the vanilla Whey Isolate but it was nothing special and I have not tried any of the Strawberry.

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
Are you a rep?
Nope but been using them for 3-5 years straight now and seeing where all these other companies are going has made me stick with them. I mean look at their intra workout. 15g of BCAA, 1.5g of agmatine, citruline malate, and bunch of other stuff. Who else makes anything close to that with the price they offer (that is including the VIP price...if you top it with the sales they run all the time then even better). Been trying to get orbit to carry their products but not enough people have requested them :/
Buy some hershey's 100% dark coco and add 2-3 packs of splenda to your shake. You're welcomed ;)Or just do their chocolate flavored in much less water. Their chocolate flavor is absolutely amazing, the rest were good to ok.

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
There are a few pros that I've heard say they do just shakes. Yablon is another I can think of ATM.
I don't see anything wrong with using 3-4 shakes a day. Even john meadows said that he doesn't see anything wrong with it and he and shelby booth have doctors and nutritionist on their show; john interviews doctors and nutritionist on his website all the time also. You should eat your greens and other food with your other meals but saying that only eating whole foods is good or that protein from food is always better than shakes is absolutely crazy and makes no sense to me. Nobody can even back up or prove that 3-4 shakes a day are better to be replaced with whole foods.

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
Is whole wheat bagels bad carb sources? I love them!
From a pure health standpoint, yes they are a low quality food. I won't get into the debate of whether gluten is good or bad for us to consume, but just look at all the additives that are in your bagel and all bread products these days. Most are made with refined crop oils (soybean, canola, corn, etc.), potassium bromate (a known carcinogen: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1567851/), HFCS, and a bunch of other crap you can't even pronounce.

If you're looking to just take a IIFYM approach and want a carb source to fuel your lifting, then sure they can work, but I prefer sticking to cleaner carbs like rice and potatoes that aren't going to **** up my body in the long term.

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
If you're looking to just take a IIFYM approach and want a carb source to fuel your lifting, then sure they can work, but I prefer sticking to cleaner carbs like rice and potatoes that aren't going to **** up my body in the long term.
I prefer getting my carbs from oats, rice, and potatoes also but the whole thing on these foods ****ing up our bodies in the long run is something that bothers me a little. Our foods are becoming cleaner and better in quality than they have been before (ie 10 years ago, 20 years ago, 100 years ago,...you get the point). A lot of foods have nutrition being added to them but people don't think that those foods are cheap to super cheap to purchase and they are being made people that can not afford more. Now if you are one of those that just do not want to pay more then that is up to you but a lot of food companies try to make food as cheap as possible just because A LOT of people can not afford them.

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
Our foods are becoming cleaner and better in quality than they have been before (ie 10 years ago, 20 years ago, 100 years ago,...you get the point). A lot of foods have nutrition being added to them but people don't think that those foods are cheap to super cheap to purchase and they are being made people that can not afford more. Now if you are one of those that just do not want to pay more then that is up to you but a lot of food companies try to make food as cheap as possible just because A LOT of people can not afford them.
Sorry but I'm going to have to strongly disagree with you on this one.

1. Foods are definitely not cleaner today than they were in decades past. Why do you think the Standard American Diet is one of the most unhealthy diets in the entire world? Our grandparents and those before them didn't have CLOSE to the amount of dietary induced health problems that we have today. The food is mostly to blame.

All you have to do is look at the ingredients label on almost any packaged food and you will see a bunch of nonsense that you can't even pronounce.

Even the natural foods of today are less nutritious than they were years ago due to the soil degradation causing less vitamins and minerals to be able to get into the plants.

2. Do you honestly think the food companies give a **** about the consumer's health? They are trying to maximize profits and nothing else. You're right in that they are trying to make food cheaper, but that's just to benefit themselves because they know as Americans, we just want what's cheap and tastes good, not what's healthy. And how do they make food more affordable and more addictive? By using cheaper, low quality, and unhealthy chemicals that they call ingredients instead of real food.

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
Sorry but I'm going to have to strongly disagree with you on this one.

1. Foods are definitely not cleaner today than they were in decades past. Why do you think the Standard American Diet is one of the most unhealthy diets in the entire world? Our grandparents and those before them didn't have CLOSE to the amount of dietary induced health problems that we have today. The food is mostly to blame.
ummm...no it's our fault and not the food industry really. The world has speed up by a lot, everything has become more fast paced and people have started eating fast food more and more because of that. And the entire world?! I guess Africa and a bunch of other poor nations don't really count as a part of the world anymore do they? Also I'm pretty sure you haven't really lived in a lot of countries before knowing how their foods are. Just judging based on what you hear in the news. Also we are living a longer and longer life span so everything is improving.
But a shorter version is a decade ago the very first iphone wasn't even out yet. Take the internet out of people's hand and see how much they'll slow down. People want food fast so they can go on with whatever they are doing.

All you have to do is look at the ingredients label on almost any packaged food and you will see a bunch of nonsense that you can't even pronounce.

Even the natural foods of today are less nutritious than they were years ago due to the soil degradation causing less vitamins and minerals to be able to get into the plants.
Again cheaper foods more of them because they are cutting corners to make it cheaper and cheaper but also you can pay $7 for a loaf of amazing bread that is "super healthy" but who on here is going to pay $7 for a loaf of bread. People feel fancy when they pay $2.50 for a loaf of 7 grain bread.
2. Do you honestly think the food companies give a **** about the consumer's health? They are trying to maximize profits and nothing else. You're right in that they are trying to make food cheaper, but that's just to benefit themselves because they know as Americans, we just want what's cheap and tastes good, not what's healthy. And how do they make food more affordable and more addictive? By using cheaper, low quality, and unhealthy chemicals that they call ingredients instead of real food.
They are in it to make money. That is how business works. And you can't blame food company for people becoming addictite to f@$cking food. It's food for f@#ck sake! They are not shoving nicotine in them. Based on your analogy the lotion industry is to blame for all the kids masturbating so much.
I replied in bold in the quote. But basically it comes down to this. You want really high quality food, you have to pay for it. You can't complain why your $0.99 bread is ****ty and unhealthy. Just like I can't complain why a $30,000 car doesn't ride and perform like a $250,000 Lamborghini.