embarrassing problem...but someone help

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. New Member
    FitnessLuke's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  179 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    264
    Rep Power
    244
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    66.14%

    embarrassing problem...but someone help


    Okay so for the longest time ive had horrible gas problems. Im sure protein is the culprit for smell, but all the carbs and veggies mess me up. Especially when bulking. I want to be healthy with my greens, but seriously it gives continuous sulphur gas. Not good if im around my girl.. or when I spend the night with her.

    Ive tried probiotics, digestive enzymes, and gas x...with no real success.

    Im sure im not the only healthy eater with this problem. Has anyone been able to fix this bodybuilding problem

  2. Elite Member
    Driven2lift's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Age
    24
    Posts
    5,523
    Rep Power
    5293187
    Level
    86
    Lv. Percent
    17.29%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by FitnessLuke View Post
    Okay so for the longest time ive had horrible gas problems. Im sure protein is the culprit for smell, but all the carbs and veggies mess me up. Especially when bulking. I want to be healthy with my greens, but seriously it gives continuous sulphur gas. Not good if im around my girl.. or when I spend the night with her. Ive tried probiotics, digestive enzymes, and gas x...with no real success. Im sure im not the only healthy eater with this problem. Has anyone been able to fix this bodybuilding problem
    GDA's can really help but it takes some experimenting as some may actually make it worse. Recompadrol/Burn24 are worth trying.

    Digestive enzymes are good, take multiple with each meal.

    Antacids can cause as many problems as they solve, simethicone is a decent alternative for gas.
    Athletix Representative
    Orbit Nutrition Representative;
    Use the code SOCIAL for 10% off your order at Orbit!
  3. Elite Member
    Driven2lift's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Age
    24
    Posts
    5,523
    Rep Power
    5293187
    Level
    86
    Lv. Percent
    17.29%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Also avoid gassier vegetables like cabbage/Brussels sprouts (2 of my favourites)

    Everyone is effected differently by different carbs too so try to learn yourself. Rice does not sit well with me at all but oats are perfect
    Athletix Representative
    Orbit Nutrition Representative;
    Use the code SOCIAL for 10% off your order at Orbit!
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    jdg76's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,094
    Rep Power
    631917
    Level
    41
    Lv. Percent
    66%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by FitnessLuke View Post
    Okay so for the longest time ive had horrible gas problems. Im sure protein is the culprit for smell, but all the carbs and veggies mess me up. Especially when bulking. I want to be healthy with my greens, but seriously it gives continuous sulphur gas. Not good if im around my girl.. or when I spend the night with her.Ive tried probiotics, digestive enzymes, and gas x...with no real success. Im sure im not the only healthy eater with this problem. Has anyone been able to fix this bodybuilding problem
    Have you tried to single out what is causing it? Sometimes it comes down to one food that is the worse. I went through the same problem and finally figured out it was the oats that was doing it to me. I had been gradually adding in more to get my carbs up. Anytime I have over 2 cups/day for several days my bloat and gas gets bad. I cut them out, and back to normal..crazy! haha
    Come Follow along!!!

    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/256849-jdgs-26-week.html
  5. New Member
    FitnessLuke's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  179 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    264
    Rep Power
    244
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    66.14%

    Ive tried even tried lactase pills..I swear everytime I think I found my culprit food itll come back the next day.

    Really when I avoid carbs and veggies im good, but that isnt healthy at all.
  6. New Member
    FitnessLuke's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  179 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    264
    Rep Power
    244
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    66.14%

    I thought rice was the best carb that doesnt cause gas

    I now completely avoid oats due to the common association with gas.
  7. Elite Member
    Driven2lift's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Age
    24
    Posts
    5,523
    Rep Power
    5293187
    Level
    86
    Lv. Percent
    17.29%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by FitnessLuke View Post
    I thought rice was the best carb that doesnt cause gas I now completely avoid oats due to the common association with gas.
    Typically yes, but not in my case

    Like I said highly individual

    Try dropping your fibre slightly, there is no real evil from eating white breads/pastas/rice if you are counting the calories and staying active.
    Athletix Representative
    Orbit Nutrition Representative;
    Use the code SOCIAL for 10% off your order at Orbit!
  8. Senior Member
    funkd0c's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,646
    Rep Power
    31347
    Level
    33
    Lv. Percent
    3.6%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    How much peanut butter or legumes do you eat?
  9. New Member
    FitnessLuke's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  179 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    264
    Rep Power
    244
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    66.14%

    Well thats good I like my jasmine rice! Just wishbit had my whole grain

    And I probably eat a lot of peanut butter..
  10. New Member
    JXiiXViii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    29809
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    94.17%

    Do you eat wheat or dairy? Could potentially be a sensitivity to one of those. Gluten is a big offender for a lot of people even if they aren't fully aware.

    If you do eat either of those, try cutting them completely out for a few days and see if you notice any changes.

    For my carbs, all I do is white jasmine rice and potatoes of all varieties along with some fruit each day.

    You don't need "whole grains". That's a bunch of marketing bull****.

    Fruits and vegetables are a MUCH better source of fiber than any grain will ever be, not to mention way more nutritious.
  11. New Member
    FitnessLuke's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  179 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    264
    Rep Power
    244
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    66.14%

    Quote Originally Posted by JXiiXViii View Post
    Do you eat wheat or dairy? Could potentially be a sensitivity to one of those. Gluten is a big offender for a lot of people even if they aren't fully aware.

    If you do eat either of those, try cutting them completely out for a few days and see if you notice any changes.
    Yes both well probably milk a lot more then dairy
  12. CT3
    Advanced Member
    CT3's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Age
    29
    Posts
    588
    Rep Power
    104832
    Level
    24
    Lv. Percent
    39.35%

    A big morning glass of milk will give me the most horrible gas all day long. I have to run away from myself sometimes.
  13. New Member
    JXiiXViii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    29809
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    94.17%

    Quote Originally Posted by FitnessLuke View Post
    Yes both well probably milk a lot more then dairy
    Milk is dairy, isn't it? Or did you mean milk more than wheat?

    But yeah man it's possible one of those is causing the problem. I'd say either one is more likely to be giving you issues than protein and vegetables are.

    Start with cutting out wheat and dairy for like a week and see if you notice any improvement.
  14. New Member
    FitnessLuke's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  179 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    264
    Rep Power
    244
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    66.14%

    Quote Originally Posted by JXiiXViii View Post

    Milk is dairy, isn't it? Or did you mean milk more than wheat?

    But yeah man it's possible one of those is causing the problem. I'd say either one is more likely to be giving you issues than protein and vegetables are.

    Start with cutting out wheat and dairy for like a week and see if you notice any improvement.
    Yes thats what I meant...I drink a lottt of milk

    Ill cut out milk and see how things go, but does whey protein count as dairy?.. bc I reallly can not go to soy
  15. Professional Member
    fueledpassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,598
    Rep Power
    700184
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    81%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Beano. 2 tab a few minutes before meals.
  16. CT3
    Advanced Member
    CT3's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Age
    29
    Posts
    588
    Rep Power
    104832
    Level
    24
    Lv. Percent
    39.35%

    I think it's the milk. Like I said it does me terrible when I drink it. Whey does not bother me.
  17. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    The Solution's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    9,949
    Rep Power
    6875836
    Level
    97
    Lv. Percent
    71.72%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by FitnessLuke View Post
    Okay so for the longest time ive had horrible gas problems. Im sure protein is the culprit for smell, but all the carbs and veggies mess me up. Especially when bulking. I want to be healthy with my greens, but seriously it gives continuous sulphur gas. Not good if im around my girl.. or when I spend the night with her.

    Ive tried probiotics, digestive enzymes, and gas x...with no real success.

    Im sure im not the only healthy eater with this problem. Has anyone been able to fix this bodybuilding problem
    Do you have an allergy to something you eat?
    have you tried eliminating foods?
    Team Inov8 Elite Performance
  18. New Member
    JXiiXViii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    29809
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    94.17%

    Quote Originally Posted by FitnessLuke View Post
    Yes thats what I meant...I drink a lottt of milk

    Ill cut out milk and see how things go, but does whey protein count as dairy?.. bc I reallly can not go to soy
    Yeah whey technically counts as dairy too, but some people can do whey that can't do other dairy so it depends on you individually. I believe whey isolate is more easily digested than concentrate for people with dairy intolerances (someone correct me if I'm wrong), so maybe try that first?

    If you don't notice any improvement, the next thing would be to cut out ALL dairy including whey just to see how you respond.

    I don't mess with soy either. You could do a pea/rice protein blend which is actually what I use. I use the custom mix generator from true nutrition and do 70% gemma (pea) and 30% rice. If you look at the research for that exact blend, it actually is comparable to whey when it comes to amino acid profiles. Someone on the forums over there did a big analysis of all the proteins and that mix was almost identical to whey.

    I would still get rid of all gluten though even if you only eat it sparingly. It causes a whole host of digestive issues.
  19. New Member
    FitnessLuke's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  179 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    264
    Rep Power
    244
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    66.14%

    I have tried eliminating foods but can never get a solid pinpoint bc every time I think its gone it comes back.

    So ill try all dairy, im guessing no greek yogurt either?

    As for gluten I know wheat bread is gluten, but what other foods contain it.

    Beano is so so...I may need to use higher dose though and combine digestive enzymes

    Arnt digestive enzymes terrible for your stomach though?
  20. Elite Member
    Driven2lift's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Age
    24
    Posts
    5,523
    Rep Power
    5293187
    Level
    86
    Lv. Percent
    17.29%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    A good digestive enzyme is no issue for your stomach.

    Gluten is in a whole lot of foods now unfortunately. Avoid all grains, and wheat for a while

    Yes GY is dairy so cut it a while
    Athletix Representative
    Orbit Nutrition Representative;
    Use the code SOCIAL for 10% off your order at Orbit!
  21. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    The Solution's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    9,949
    Rep Power
    6875836
    Level
    97
    Lv. Percent
    71.72%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by FitnessLuke View Post
    I have tried eliminating foods but can never get a solid pinpoint bc every time I think its gone it comes back.

    So ill try all dairy, im guessing no greek yogurt either?

    As for gluten I know wheat bread is gluten, but what other foods contain it.

    Beano is so so...I may need to use higher dose though and combine digestive enzymes

    Arnt digestive enzymes terrible for your stomach though?
    Do 1 thing at a time NOT multiple
    do dairy for a week then reintroduce
    then do gluten and reintroduce.
    Team Inov8 Elite Performance
  22. New Member
    JXiiXViii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    29809
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    94.17%

    Quote Originally Posted by FitnessLuke View Post
    I have tried eliminating foods but can never get a solid pinpoint bc every time I think its gone it comes back.

    So ill try all dairy, im guessing no greek yogurt either?

    As for gluten I know wheat bread is gluten, but what other foods contain it.

    Beano is so so...I may need to use higher dose though and combine digestive enzymes

    Arnt digestive enzymes terrible for your stomach though?
    Yeah Greek Yogurt is dairy too.

    Just check ingredient labels if you're unsure. If you see anything that says wheat, wheat flour, etc. then it has gluten obviously and you want to avoid it. Even things you wouldn't expect to have gluten end up having it, which is yet another reason to avoid packaged foods in general.

    Here's what I would honestly recommend for you. To keep things simple, only eat foods that are 1 ingredient. This means any of the following:

    Meat of all kinds
    Eggs
    Fruits
    Vegetables
    Nuts/nut butters (not peanuts though for now)
    White jasmine rice (White rice is much easier on the digestive system than brown rice - I still don't know why everyone hails brown rice as such a "healthy" food. It sucks IMO)
    Potatoes (all varieties)
    Water
    Coconut oil
    Olive oil
    Seasonings (salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, etc.)

    The recipes you can make with all of the above foods are endless, and those are really all you need to support your daily nutrition. I would venture to say that if you stuck to foods on that list, your digestive issues would subside or at least be much better than they are currently.

    It will take some time, so be patient and don't get discouraged if you aren't completely better after a few days. Try it for a week or 2 and then go from there.
  23. New Member
    rhoadx's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    181
    Rep Power
    503919
    Level
    31
    Lv. Percent
    95.29%
    Achievements Activity Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by The Solution View Post
    Do 1 thing at a time NOT multiple do dairy for a week then reintroduce then do gluten and reintroduce.
    Agree with this. Try just dairy first. Cottage cheese gets me sometimes... Probably due to the high casein content. With whey I'm ok but back when I drank casein shakes, I would get real gassy from them. Also iirc milk is 80% casein
  24. New Member
    SA22C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    8
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    15.33%

    Brother if you're anything like myself, you eat too fast! Try eating slower. If you gulp air down when you eat, it has to come out somewhere and if you don't burp much it comes out your arse. I eat a lot of veggies as well and they make me gassy but if i don't eat so fast which is hard , it does help aye. Cheers mate.
  25. New Member
    FitnessLuke's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  179 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    264
    Rep Power
    244
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    66.14%

    Quote Originally Posted by Driven2lift View Post
    A good digestive enzyme is no issue for your stomach.

    Gluten is in a whole lot of foods now unfortunately. Avoid all grains, and wheat for a while

    Yes GY is dairy so cut it a while
    That is deff true sometimes I conscience ly eat slower, but other times life gets in the way. Its crazy how my whole life taught me whole grains were good, but now thats not the case
  26. Professional Member
    hardknock's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,205
    Rep Power
    18667
    Level
    40
    Lv. Percent
    32.87%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by JXiiXViii View Post
    Do you eat wheat or dairy? Could potentially be a sensitivity to one of those. Gluten is a big offender for a lot of people even if they aren't fully aware.

    If you do eat either of those, try cutting them completely out for a few days and see if you notice any changes.

    For my carbs, all I do is white jasmine rice and potatoes of all varieties along with some fruit each day.

    You don't need "whole grains". That's a bunch of marketing bull****.

    Fruits and vegetables are a MUCH better source of fiber than any grain will ever be, not to mention way more nutritious.
    Interested in why eating whole grains have no health benefit, in your opinion?
    ---The internet is the father of the electronic lynch-mob---
  27. New Member
    JXiiXViii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    29809
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    94.17%

    Quote Originally Posted by hardknock View Post
    Interested in why eating whole grains have no health benefit, in your opinion?
    The entire whole grain thing is based on a false presumption.

    Basically, those who started perpetuating the myth (the grain companies who managed to get it into the health and fitness community), use this notion:

    Whole grains contain fiber, and fiber is good for us, so therefore whole grains must be good for us too.

    Yes fiber is good for us, but using that logic is like saying "tomatoes are good for you, and a Whopper from BK has tomatoes, so therefore a Whopper must be good for you too." A bit more extreme yes, but that's the logic they are trying to use (and from a business standpoint, they did a hell of a job at it because now everyone bought into the whole thing).

    Nevermind the fact that whole grains are rough on a lot of people's digestive systems sending off inflammatory responses, or that they contain phytic acid and lectins which are both anti-nutrients that rob the digestive system of other nutrients.

    Perhaps the aspect that sticks out to me the most though, is that a lot of them aren't even that great of a fiber source. Take brown rice for example, the king of the "healthy whole grain" world for whatever reason:

    1 cup of cooked brown rice only provides about 3.5 grams of fiber, or around 14% of your daily value. This same cup is also over 44 grams of carbs and about 216 calories.

    On the other hand, letís look at the fiber content of these other foods:

    1 cup of raspberries has 8 grams of fiber (32% of your daily value) and only 64 calories.

    1 cup of blueberries has 3.5 grams of fiber (about 14% daily value) and only 84 calories.

    1 cup of spinach has over 17% of your daily value and only 41 calories.

    1 orange has around 13% of your daily value of fiber and only 60-75 calories (depending on size).

    Not to mention all of the foods above are PACKED with way more vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants than brown rice.

    So by getting our fiber from fruits and vegetables as we should be, we're getting more fiber with less of a caloric load, along with all the benefits of the other nutrients in the foods.

    Brown rice and other grains just don't even come close. There's literally nothing in whole grains that we can't get from other, healthier foods.

    I eat rice myself, but I only do white jasmine rice and I eat it strictly for the carbs. White rice is just the starchy inside of brown rice (they mill the bran off of it which is the part that causes issues in a lot of people and the part where the anti-nutrients are at).

    It tastes better, is way easier on the GI system, and it's super versatile as well.
  28. New Member
    FitnessLuke's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  179 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    264
    Rep Power
    244
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    66.14%

    Quote Originally Posted by JXiiXViii View Post

    The entire whole grain thing is based on a false presumption.

    Basically, those who started perpetuating the myth (the grain companies who managed to get it into the health and fitness community), use this notion:

    Whole grains contain fiber, and fiber is good for us, so therefore whole grains must be good for us too.

    Yes fiber is good for us, but using that logic is like saying "tomatoes are good for you, and a Whopper from BK has tomatoes, so therefore a Whopper must be good for you too." A bit more extreme yes, but that's the logic they are trying to use (and from a business standpoint, they did a hell of a job at it because now everyone bought into the whole thing).

    Nevermind the fact that whole grains are rough on a lot of people's digestive systems sending off inflammatory responses, or that they contain phytic acid and lectins which are both anti-nutrients that rob the digestive system of other nutrients.

    Perhaps the aspect that sticks out to me the most though, is that a lot of them aren't even that great of a fiber source. Take brown rice for example, the king of the "healthy whole grain" world for whatever reason:

    1 cup of cooked brown rice only provides about 3.5 grams of fiber, or around 14% of your daily value. This same cup is also over 44 grams of carbs and about 216 calories.

    On the other hand, letís look at the fiber content of these other foods:

    1 cup of raspberries has 8 grams of fiber (32% of your daily value) and only 64 calories.

    1 cup of blueberries has 3.5 grams of fiber (about 14% daily value) and only 84 calories.

    1 cup of spinach has over 17% of your daily value and only 41 calories.

    1 orange has around 13% of your daily value of fiber and only 60-75 calories (depending on size).

    Not to mention all of the foods above are PACKED with way more vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants than brown rice.

    So by getting our fiber from fruits and vegetables as we should be, we're getting more fiber with less of a caloric load, along with all the benefits of the other nutrients in the foods.

    Brown rice and other grains just don't even come close. There's literally nothing in whole grains that we can't get from other, healthier foods.

    I eat rice myself, but I only do white jasmine rice and I eat it strictly for the carbs. White rice is just the starchy inside of brown rice (they mill the bran off of it which is the part that causes issues in a lot of people and the part where the anti-nutrients are at).

    It tastes better, is way easier on the GI system, and it's super versatile as well.
    Okay so seriously brown rice isnt as healthy?? Wth I always thought I was doing good by eating brown over white bc whites more processed.
  29. Professional Member
    fueledpassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,598
    Rep Power
    700184
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    81%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Not that I disagree with u, because I dont. But fruits wouldnt be a good example to compare to rice because its carbs are fructose, which is the worst kind for fat gain. Unless u are running while eating ur blueberries, that fructose usually gets procesed by the liver into fatty acis and then placed into the fat compartment.

    Brown rice, while possibly having inflammatory responses in the gut, usually contributes to the lean compartment and not fat stores. So from a body sculpting perspective, the pros of a single cup of brown rice outweighs the one time inflammatory response to it, imo.
  30. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,200
    Rep Power
    945903
    Level
    92
    Lv. Percent
    21.75%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

    Quote Originally Posted by FitnessLuke View Post
    Okay so seriously brown rice isnt as healthy?? Wth I always thought I was doing good by eating brown over white bc whites more processed.
    Healthy is a subjective term, but, IMO, brown rice isn't optimal. High PRAL and anti-nutrients make it a no go for me. That and I don't like the taste of it.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  31. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    The Solution's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    9,949
    Rep Power
    6875836
    Level
    97
    Lv. Percent
    71.72%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    Not that I disagree with u, because I dont. But fruits wouldnt be a good example to compare to rice because its carbs are fructose, which is the worst kind for fat gain. Unless u are running while eating ur blueberries, that fructose usually gets procesed by the liver into fatty acis and then placed into the fat compartment.

    Brown rice, while possibly having inflammatory responses in the gut, usually contributes to the lean compartment and not fat stores. So from a body sculpting perspective, the pros of a single cup of brown rice outweighs the one time inflammatory response to it, imo.
    Would love to see someone get fat off blueberries when not in a surplus.
    would be hard to fathom.

    Blueberries are one of the better fruits you can eat loaded with antioxidents and there is research leading to showing them increasing fatloss

    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0419170112.htm
    Team Inov8 Elite Performance
  32. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,200
    Rep Power
    945903
    Level
    92
    Lv. Percent
    21.75%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

    Quote Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    Not that I disagree with u, because I dont. But fruits wouldnt be a good example to compare to rice because its carbs are fructose, which is the worst kind for fat gain. Unless u are running while eating ur blueberries, that fructose usually gets procesed by the liver into fatty acis and then placed into the fat compartment. Brown rice, while possibly having inflammatory responses in the gut, usually contributes to the lean compartment and not fat stores. So from a body sculpting perspective, the pros of a single cup of brown rice outweighs the one time inflammatory response to it, imo.
    The amount of fructose per fruit varies immensely and, if anything, brown rice would be more likely to contribute to fat stores as it'll keep insulin elevated for longer.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  33. New Member
    FitnessLuke's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  179 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    264
    Rep Power
    244
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    66.14%

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post

    The amount of fructose per fruit varies immensely and, if anything, brown rice would be more likely to contribute to fat stores as it'll keep insulin elevated for longer.
    Well given the lower glycemic index would promote stable insulin levels for longer. I mean dextrose for example skyrockets insulin quickly and not nearly as long as brown rice, but come on it is common sense dexrose can easily lead to fat storage.

    Or correct me if im wrong..?
  34. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,200
    Rep Power
    945903
    Level
    92
    Lv. Percent
    21.75%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

    Quote Originally Posted by FitnessLuke View Post
    Well given the lower glycemic index would promote stable insulin levels for longer. I mean dextrose for example skyrockets insulin quickly and not nearly as long as brown rice, but come on it is common sense dexrose can easily lead to fat storage. Or correct me if im wrong..?
    Here's the forgotten part about low GI carbs: they keep insulin elevated above baseline for hours. Insulin is a storage hormone and keeping it elevated throughout the day is going to promote fat storage or, at the very least, minimize fat loss. Also, despite common belief, the bodies preferred fuel source is not glucose; it's free fatty acids.

    Everything is contextual as you can easily use high GI carbs with zero detriment to BF.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  35. New Member
    JXiiXViii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    29809
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    94.17%

    Quote Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    Not that I disagree with u, because I dont. But fruits wouldnt be a good example to compare to rice because its carbs are fructose, which is the worst kind for fat gain. Unless u are running while eating ur blueberries, that fructose usually gets procesed by the liver into fatty acis and then placed into the fat compartment.

    Brown rice, while possibly having inflammatory responses in the gut, usually contributes to the lean compartment and not fat stores. So from a body sculpting perspective, the pros of a single cup of brown rice outweighs the one time inflammatory response to it, imo.
    It's much more complicated than that though. The body doesn't just immediately take fructose and convert it into fatty acids for no reason. While there is some fructose in fruit, all fruit is actually a mix of both fructose and glucose. It would be almost impossible for someone to eat enough whole fruit in a day to where the fructose would be converted into fatty acids and cause a problem.

    The real issue with fructose comes from people consuming **** like high fructose corn syrup and other sugary foods/drinks. Not only is it easy to overdo it on calories from fructose when it's in that form, but you also get the massive blood sugar spike that you don't get with whole fruit.

    Quote Originally Posted by FitnessLuke View Post
    Well given the lower glycemic index would promote stable insulin levels for longer. I mean dextrose for example skyrockets insulin quickly and not nearly as long as brown rice, but come on it is common sense dexrose can easily lead to fat storage.

    Or correct me if im wrong..?
    Dextrose is pure corn sugar, so yes it spikes the hell out of your blood sugar. I'm not recommending dextrose though. And people that do consume it usually only do so intra or post workout where your body can deal with the insulin spike.

    If someone were just consuming dextrose throughout the day, I would have to ask what on earth is wrong with them.

    But getting to your point about the glycemic index, most fruits are actually lower on the glycemic index, and more importantly, the glycemic load is lower than brown rice is. Fruit is bound with fiber which negates the blood sugar spike you would normally get from consuming straight fructose/glucose.

    Check out this chart and you will see: http://www.health.harvard.edu/newswe..._100_foods.htm

    Just look at fruits compared to brown rice and most of the fruits are a bit lower in both categories (glycemic index and load).
  36. Professional Member
    fueledpassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,598
    Rep Power
    700184
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    81%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    My point was to compare a glucose-based healthy example to brown rice. Something useful for a bodybuilder or fitness person.

    No one is gonna restore glycogen stores from fruits because of their poor metabolic pathways.

    I'd rather do without too much fructose though. Nature's candy. I can easily get that fiber and nutrients from sweet & red potatoes, fibrous veggies and meats.

    I agree that breads should be avoided especially when cutting but sometimes a bagel is fantastic first thing in the morning when carbing up.

    And as a reminder, if it doesnt prompt insulin release, it doesnt go to muscle cells unless we're talking about Leucine.
  37. Professional Member
    fueledpassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,598
    Rep Power
    700184
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    81%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    And white rice has an even stronger correlation of insulin release. For those using jasmine rice, while it is delicious, I recommend u to try Basmati, which is a longer grain white rice (can also get it in brown) and it is much lower on glycemic index than Jasmine.

    I get terrible blood sugar swings on Jasmine but mainly because I eat two servings (320kcals) at a time usually. Broccoli helps this though.
  38. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    The Solution's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    9,949
    Rep Power
    6875836
    Level
    97
    Lv. Percent
    71.72%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    My point was to compare a glucose-based healthy example to brown rice. Something useful for a bodybuilder or fitness person.
    .
    Brown rice is basically voided of all nutrients, as is white rice.
    and almost NOBODY eats rice at a meal by itself, so the overall GI of that meal will be very reduced if you have white or brown given you eat a protein or fat with that source. (nobody just has a carb source at a meal hence why the GI scale is very skeptical because the overall GI in general at meals will be half it not lower due to combination of foods)
    Rice is not useful, its just another carb source you can use to fit into your kcals. Potatoes may be better because they are more micronutrient dense

    The key factor is meeting the caloric surplus/deficit and including all forms of foods to help reach micronutrients, protein, fiber, and fat minimums in the given day.
    Team Inov8 Elite Performance
  39. New Member
    JXiiXViii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    29809
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    94.17%

    Quote Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    My point was to compare a glucose-based healthy example to brown rice. Something useful for a bodybuilder or fitness person.

    No one is gonna restore glycogen stores from fruits because of their poor metabolic pathways.

    I'd rather do without too much fructose though. Nature's candy. I can easily get that fiber and nutrients from sweet & red potatoes, fibrous veggies and meats.

    I agree that breads should be avoided especially when cutting but sometimes a bagel is fantastic first thing in the morning when carbing up.

    And as a reminder, if it doesnt prompt insulin release, it doesnt go to muscle cells unless we're talking about Leucine.
    Totally agree that fruits aren't very effective at restoring glycogen stores. I don't use them for that reason though. That's where my white rice and potatoes come in.

    I also agree that vegetables are in most cases a better place to get your fiber, but there's still nothing wrong with fruit in my opinion. Especially berries which are some of the most nutritious foods we can eat. Sure you can overeat fruit to where fructose could become a problem, but the average person isn't going to come close to that by eating a few pieces a day or a few cups of berries.

    Regarding the bread thing, it should be avoided for more reasons than just body composition. Aside from the gluten which causes enough problems on it's own, bread is extremely refined and has all sorts of garbage in it (refined crop oils, high fructose corn syrup, potassium bromate, and a ton of additives you can't even pronounce). Modern bread serves no purpose in a healthy diet. I'm not saying once in a while it will hurt, but most people eat the crap way more than they should.

    Getting back to the brown rice thing though, ultimately people need to look at the purpose each food plays in our overall diet.

    Rice, whether it's white, brown, or whatever, is a starchy carb. It's only purpose in the diet of a bodybuilder or fitness person is to restore muscle glycogen and fuel workouts. No more, no less. For most people, white rice is going to be way easier on the GI system than brown rice, and most agree it tastes better too. You also avoid the inflammatory response from brown rice and it's anti-nutrient properties by choosing white instead.

    Eating brown rice for it's "nutrient profile" (which isn't even very impressive) is like choosing spinach over another plant because it has more protein. Nobody would do that because we get our protein from meat and eggs which are superior sources.

    Quote Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    And white rice has an even stronger correlation of insulin release. For those using jasmine rice, while it is delicious, I recommend u to try Basmati, which is a longer grain white rice (can also get it in brown) and it is much lower on glycemic index than Jasmine.

    I get terrible blood sugar swings on Jasmine but mainly because I eat two servings (320kcals) at a time usually. Broccoli helps this though.
    Yeah I've tried basmati recently because Whole Foods was out of my jasmine rice, and I wasn't crazy too about it. It was alright, but I prefer jasmine much more.

    Bringing up the glycemic issue, The Solution hit the nail on the head. Sure white rice may be a little higher on the index, but unless you're eating straight white rice by itself, that load is lowered by a large amount by the fiber, fat, and protein you're consuming with your meal.

    Like you said, broccoli helps with the blood sugar swings due to it's fiber content, which is because it's lowering the glycemic load of the rice.
  40. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    The Solution's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    9,949
    Rep Power
    6875836
    Level
    97
    Lv. Percent
    71.72%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by JXiiXViii View Post
    I also agree that vegetables are in most cases a better place to get your fiber, but there's still nothing wrong with fruit in my opinion. Especially berries which are some of the most nutritious foods we can eat. Sure you can overeat fruit to where fructose could become a problem, but the average person isn't going to come close to that by eating a few pieces a day or a few cups of berries.

    Regarding the bread thing, it should be avoided for more reasons than just body composition. Aside from the gluten which causes enough problems on it's own, bread is extremely refined and has all sorts of garbage in it (refined crop oils, high fructose corn syrup, potassium bromate, and a ton of additives you can't even pronounce). Modern bread serves no purpose in a healthy diet. I'm not saying once in a while it will hurt, but most people eat the crap way more than they should.

    Getting back to the brown rice thing though, ultimately people need to look at the purpose each food plays in our overall diet.

    Rice, whether it's white, brown, or whatever, is a starchy carb. It's only purpose in the diet of a bodybuilder or fitness person is to restore muscle glycogen and fuel workouts. No more, no less. For most people, white rice is going to be way easier on the GI system than brown rice, and most agree it tastes better too. You also avoid the inflammatory response from brown rice and it's anti-nutrient properties by choosing white instead.

    Eating brown rice for it's "nutrient profile" (which isn't even very impressive) is like choosing spinach over another plant because it has more protein. Nobody would do that because we get our protein from meat and eggs which are superior sources.
    Spot on.
    Berries wont hurt a damn thing, especially because no one is dumb enough to get the majority of their intake from fruits in the first place. Again that varies on goal and your amount of kcals. When my carbs get low my main sources are fruits/veggies because they are satisfying and help curb hunger and also provide antioxidents and lots of vitamins/minerals which are very rare in a caloric deficit. Sure i still throw in potatoes for vitamins/potassium, which i enjoy much more than rice because rice is void of all nutrients in essence.

    Agree 100% on the white> Brown ill take white anyday.
    Team Inov8 Elite Performance
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. SOMEONE HELP ME OUT HERE
    By MXBT187 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-09-2005, 06:46 PM
  2. powder directions, can someone help?
    By Grifter in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-11-2005, 03:28 AM
  3. Totally ignorant question but please help...
    By jpriar in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-16-2005, 09:09 PM
  4. I'm an idiot. Someone help me out here
    By DmitryWI in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-24-2004, 10:27 AM
  5. Someone Help, Please!
    By deaconbill in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-11-2002, 06:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in