Training and dieting

wokko

wokko

Awards
Don't quite know how to word this but I'll try... Basically I'm trying to get back into training and eating healthy again and need help on correct nutrition and training scheme. I weight: 72.2 kg I have a fat percentage calliper where you test the bit off fat an inch above your hip bone and I got a fat percentage off 4.9%? I personally think this is wrong. But I did try another way and it concluded the same result. I have also wore a heart rate monitor over a 24 hour period to see the calories burned on two separate days and the results where: Cals burned when working *builder* *8am till 4pm* and then training after: 3850 Cals burned on just a work day without training: 2900 I'd like to tone up but I also think I should build my Abs and especially my pigeon chest lol so any advice would be welcomed. If you want to ask questions in order to help you give me better advice then ask away thanks:)

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Post a picture
If your fat percentage is 4.9 based off what you used (which i am going to guess is 100% totally wrong) why would yo uneed to tone up if you are that lean? You should focus on building some size/muscle if you are truly that lean

post a picture and read these links:

Eat in a caloric surplus, meaning eating more kcals than you need to maintain in order to gain muscle, size, and strength.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/macronutrient-intake-for-mass-gains-qa.html
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/training-frequency-for-mass-gains.html
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/cardio-and-mass-gains.html

Philosophies, Macro intake, training , and cardio articles for you to understand and help set up what you need to do before moving forward towards more supplements or advanced workout routines.

EWolfe08

EWolfe08

Awards
Don't quite know how to word this but I'll try... Basically I'm trying to get back into training and eating healthy again and need help on correct nutrition and training scheme. I weight: 72.2 kg I have a fat percentage calliper where you test the bit off fat an inch above your hip bone and I got a fat percentage off 4.9%? I personally think this is wrong. But I did try another way and it concluded the same result. I have also wore a heart rate monitor over a 24 hour period to see the calories burned on two separate days and the results where: Cals burned when working *builder* *8am till 4pm* and then training after: 3850 Cals burned on just a work day without training: 2900 I'd like to tone up but I also think I should build my Abs and especially my pigeon chest lol so any advice would be welcomed. If you want to ask questions in order to help you give me better advice then ask away thanks:)
I wouldn't worry too much about what the calipers are reading, if anything go get a hydrostatic test done. Your best bet is to find a good Coach/Trainer.

wokko

wokko

Awards
I wouldn't worry too much about what the calipers are reading, if anything go get a hydrostatic test done. Your best bet is to find a good Coach/Trainer.
Iv heard that the hydrostatic test is pricey plus I know people who haven't used them and got great results regardless so that shows there is no need for that type off testing. And yeah that would be a good idea but I'd much rather save the money and gain as much knowledge myself with help from sites like this.

EWolfe08

EWolfe08

Awards
Iv heard that the hydrostatic test is pricey plus I know people who haven't used them and got great results regardless so that shows there is no need for that type off testing. And yeah that would be a good idea but I'd much rather save the money and gain as much knowledge myself with help from sites like this.
No, it's like $30-40 well worth it. And of course you can get results lol. bodyfat testing is just one method of tracking your progress, it doesn't create results it simply gives u a baseline of where you are at. Obviously it will benefit you if you're reading ur at 5% and asking people if that's correct, it will educate you. Every pro athlete and bodybuilder has a coach and benefits greatly from them, I have a coach, I wouldn't do a competition without one. Gaining knowledge on a site like this and having a trusted coach are two different things, not to be confused.

wokko

wokko

Awards
No, it's like $30-40 well worth it. And of course you can get results lol. bodyfat testing is just one method of tracking your progress, it doesn't create results it simply gives u a baseline of where you are at. Obviously it will benefit you if you're reading ur at 5% and asking people if that's correct, it will educate you. Every pro athlete and bodybuilder has a coach and benefits greatly from them, I have a coach, I wouldn't do a competition without one. Gaining knowledge on a site like this and having a trusted coach are two different things, not to be confused.
Well I had gathered that I was wrong hence why I asked on here. I posted a picture and got a more realistic and accurate result off 12% body fat. And as far a having a coach I'd love to be able to afford that also but money for me is a concern so I have to think about priorities and In my eyes nutrition is priority so that at the minute.

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
Well I had gathered that I was wrong hence why I asked on here. I posted a picture and got a more realistic and accurate result off 12% body fat. And as far a having a coach I'd love to be able to afford that also but money for me is a concern so I have to think about priorities and In my eyes nutrition is priority so that at the minute.
Read all the links The Solution posted and that will give you a good starting point for nutrition. Actually, Lyle McDonald's whole blog (body recomposition) is great if you want to learn all about the nutrition side of things, so read as much of it as you can.

Other than that, follow a good program. I really like 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/how_to_build_pure_strength

Do that with the Boring But Big assistance template here: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_boring_but_big_3month_challenge

Follow those to the letter, eat properly (following the links already posted) and you will grow.

wokko

wokko

Awards
Read all the links The Solution posted and that will give you a good starting point for nutrition. Actually, Lyle McDonald's whole blog (body recomposition) is great if you want to learn all about the nutrition side of things, so read as much of it as you can. Other than that, follow a good program. I really like 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/how_to_build_pure_strength Do that with the Boring But Big assistance template here: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_boring_but_big_3month_challenge Follow those to the letter, eat properly (following the links already posted) and you will grow.
I read some off the links he posted and as a relative beginner to this it was a hard read for me, to in depth and scientific. I just need some basic theory's and starting points. I will have a read off the articles you posted though thankyou

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I read some off the links he posted and as a relative beginner to this it was a hard read for me, to in depth and scientific. I just need some basic theory's and starting points. I will have a read off the articles you posted though thankyou
You want simple?
-Eat more if you want to build muscle
-Eat less and/or train more if you want to lose fat
-Find a proven workout program you enjoy and stick to it

If you want it all done for you, just go to bb.com and use one of their 12 week trainers that fits your goals. They lay everything out for you in children's terms.

wokko

wokko

Awards
You want simple? -Eat more if you want to build muscle -Eat less and/or train more if you want to lose fat -Find a proven workout program you enjoy and stick to it If you want it all done for you, just go to bb.com and use one of their 12 week trainers that fits your goals. They lay everything out for you in children's terms.
Hey man I wasn't trying to be rude and ungrateful . No need for comments like that

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Hey man I wasn't trying to be rude and ungrateful . No need for comments like that
It wasn't meant to be a nasty comment or a stab at you. You said you wanted simple and that you have very minimal knowledge. It's fact that those are the simplest tips you'll find and that one of the pre designed programs would suit your level of knowledge greatly since it'll take much of the guess work out and will allow you to try at least one proven diet and training style. After you've done one and see how your body reacted, you can experiment further.

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
Yeah some of it can be a bit scientific, but try reading through them a few times and you will start to get it.

I'll give you a very simple guideline though to start:

Since you're looking to put on size, take your bodyweight and multiply it by 16.

That's how many calories you want to aim for each day as a starting point (minimum).

Try to follow roughly a 40/30/30 carb/protein/fat ratio.

After a few weeks, see if you're gaining weight and pay attention to how your strength is coming along in the gym.

If you're putting on weight and getting stronger, stick to around that caloric level until you notice the progress slowing down. At that point, start to increase calories more.

I would highly recommend you follow the workout program I linked to above too. It helps to follow an already written program that tons of people have already seen success with as opposed to just trying to do your own thing with no rhyme or reason behind it.

I've tried a good amount of programs and 5/3/1 is by far my favorite and the one I've seen the most progress with.

wokko

wokko

Awards
Yeah some of it can be a bit scientific, but try reading through them a few times and you will start to get it. I'll give you a very simple guideline though to start: Since you're looking to put on size, take your bodyweight and multiply it by 16. That's how many calories you want to aim for each day as a starting point (minimum). Try to follow roughly a 40/30/30 carb/protein/fat ratio. After a few weeks, see if you're gaining weight and pay attention to how your strength is coming along in the gym. If you're putting on weight and getting stronger, stick to around that caloric level until you notice the progress slowing down. At that point, start to increase calories more. I would highly recommend you follow the workout program I linked to above too. It helps to follow an already written program that tons of people have already seen success with as opposed to just trying to do your own thing with no rhyme or reason behind it. I've tried a good amount of programs and 5/3/1 is by far my favorite and the one I've seen the most progress with.
Oh yeah I was never intending on scrapping the knowledge giving to me, I was going to have another read when my knowledge of training had increased:) and thankyou this was more off the information i was looking for thankyou. I shall have a read of the articles you posted as well and take as much as I can from them.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Yeah some of it can be a bit scientific, but try reading through them a few times and you will start to get it.

I'll give you a very simple guideline though to start:

Since you're looking to put on size, take your bodyweight and multiply it by 16.

That's how many calories you want to aim for each day as a starting point (minimum).

Try to follow roughly a 40/30/30 carb/protein/fat ratio.

After a few weeks, see if you're gaining weight and pay attention to how your strength is coming along in the gym.

If you're putting on weight and getting stronger, stick to around that caloric level until you notice the progress slowing down. At that point, start to increase calories more.

I would highly recommend you follow the workout program I linked to above too. It helps to follow an already written program that tons of people have already seen success with as opposed to just trying to do your own thing with no rhyme or reason behind it.

I've tried a good amount of programs and 5/3/1 is by far my favorite and the one I've seen the most progress with.
Ratios are pointless
1g/lb of protein
at least 20% of intake from fat and rest carbs. simple.
Continue to increase where your mood/energy/progression in the gym increases and focus on 1 the mirror than the scale #2

Progressive overload is the #1 concept for a new trainee

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
Ratios are pointless
1g/lb of protein
at least 20% of intake from fat and rest carbs. simple.
Continue to increase where your mood/energy/progression in the gym increases and focus on 1 the mirror than the scale #2

Progressive overload is the #1 concept for a new trainee
Well the ratio is just a starting point to give him some direction. 30% generally puts you a little over 1g per pound of bodyweight on a bulking caloric intake, so it's just a reference. But yeah you can look at it either way OP. I suppose looking at it as 1g per pound is a little easier.

wokko

wokko

Awards
Well the ratio is just a starting point to give him some direction. 30% generally puts you a little over 1g per pound of bodyweight on a bulking caloric intake, so it's just a reference. But yeah you can look at it either way OP. I suppose looking at it as 1g per pound is a little easier.
What does OP mean I'm intrigued...thanks for the help guys I'm taking notes!?

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
What does OP mean I'm intrigued...thanks for the help guys I'm taking notes!?
Just an abbreviation for "Original Poster" meaning I was directing that towards you (the person who started the thread).