bulletproof coffee

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
Anyone still doing this? and what results have you experienced from it. Body composition, energy, focus etc...

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Anyone still doing this? and what results have you experienced from it. Body composition, energy, focus etc...
i use coconut oil in my coffee everyday, especially since i'm not eating carbs in the morning....helps get in some extra healthy fat...but I hardly ever buy grass fed butter

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
i use coconut oil in my coffee everyday, especially since i'm not eating carbs in the morning....helps get in some extra healthy fat...but I hardly ever buy grass fed butter
Thing is I always thought bulletproof coffee sounded like the stupidest thing, but since switching to I F, I don't want to even think about eating breakfast and am now trying to figure out what I'm gonna do to add the calories once growing season comes. I know it's no longer fasting but it wouldn't be sitting heavy on my stomach making me feel sluggish for workouts ( I workout in the mornings) plus I was was wandering about the energy it's reported to give

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
Well it's not IF if you have it, as you're having a calorie laden drink and therefore breaking your fast (so it's basically a coffee/fat breakfast), but I can see the advantage over having a stomach full of food pre-workout. That said, I don't know if the way your body processes the MCT's in coconut oil, if technically you're still working out 'fasted', or if anything over 50 calories or so means that you're not?

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
Well it's not IF if you have it, as you're having a calorie laden drink and therefore breaking your fast (so it's basically a coffee/fat breakfast), but I can see the advantage over having a stomach full of food pre-workout. That said, I don't know if the way your body processes the MCT's in coconut oil, if technically you're still working out 'fasted', or if anything over 50 calories or so means that you're not?
Oh I know it's not fasted anymore. But honestly since doing I f I can't stomach the thought of working out with food beforehand. Also for the first time in my life I actually struggle to get my calories in, this is causing me to drop weight too fast and loosing strength and muscle

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It is nonsense but if you enjoy it more power to ya

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes.

Body composition is the result of weeks and months of diet/exercise, not a coffee drink. It can help though in terms of energy and glucose control.

Energy is longer and more sustained. Appetite is suppressed for me. Focus is better.

Overall, I like the concept. The wife tried it, she liked it as well dealing with 2 kids under 5.

I don't use his coffee, I use an organic columbian. I use grass fed non salted butter for texture and calories (adjust for your goals), and still use MCT oil.

To me, its much better than a standard cup of coffee.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
I didnt want to blow through the whole thread that was posted. But from what I gather is it coffee with oil (fat) added to it?

If so, for the last 2-3 months I just started doing it with coconut oil. I use Organic fresh ground coffee I brew myself, and add 1 TBSP of organic coconut oil.
For me the energy from the coffee seems to last a lot longer where I only need one mug or however much my cup holds. I cant really attribute leaning out to this as I dropped 500kcal from my "bulk" diet.

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
The secret lies in the caprylic acid (C8) and capric acid (C10) of the MCT. Given that coconut oil is only about 60% MCT's, pure MCT oil is optimal, but nothing wrong with coconut oil if that's easier to get your hands on... it's invariably cheaper anyway.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
The secret lies in the caprylic acid (C8) and capric acid (C10) of the MCT. Given that coconut oil is only about 60% MCT's, pure MCT oil is optimal, but nothing wrong with coconut oil if that's easier to get your hands on... it's invariably cheaper anyway.
Oh, well I will do MCT instead. I have some pretty much always in my fridge. Thank you!

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
I agree it's nothing magical (nothing is!), but it does work, and no one can argue MCT's are damn good for you! MCT falls in to the 'must have' category as far as I'm concerned, for anyone. Given how much importance most people put on their whey shakes and waxy maize bull****, it's all backwards I tell ya!

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I agree it's nothing magical (nothing is!), but it does work, and no one can argue MCT's are damn good for you! MCT falls in to the 'must have' category as far as I'm concerned, for anyone. Given how much importance most people put on their whey shakes and waxy maize bull****, it's all backwards I tell ya!
It doesn't work. Articles on the internet say so. :D

berkeleyguy

Awards
I've been reading that coffee adds to cortisol. Comments?

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
[SIP] HOW DARE YOU SUGGEST COFFEE ADDS TO CORTISOL!! :AR15firing: :aargh:

MyKH3LL

MyKH3LL

Awards
Yes.

Body composition is the result of weeks and months of diet/exercise, not a coffee drink. It can help though in terms of energy and glucose control.

Energy is longer and more sustained. Appetite is suppressed for me. Focus is better.
I have it every morning with 1 TBSP of MCT and anywhere between 50 - 80 g of Grass Fed (no salt) Butter (depending on how 'hungry' I feel when I wake up)

I swear by the stuff, it is amazing. I still buy the actual Bulletproof Coffee by Upgraded Self and use NOW foods MCT.

The underlined and bold bits above echo my sentiments exactly.

JD261985

Banned
Awards
Maybe it's just me but coconut oil and MCT oil make me extremely horny within 15 minutes of taking it. Anyone else get this? But it also makes my stomach upset so I use it for as long as I can and then take a break from it.

MyKH3LL

MyKH3LL

Awards
Maybe it's just me but coconut oil and MCT oil make me extremely horny within 15 minutes of taking it. Anyone else get this? But it also makes my stomach upset so I use it for as long as I can and then take a break from it.
Yeah, if you overdo the MCT it can wreak havoc on your guts. I definitely recommend easing into it over a week or two.

I don't know if it's a direct result of the coconut/MCT oil but I definitely notice my libido is up when I'm eating adequate good fats...

Someone with a really dirty mind (like mine) could take that last sentence to a dark, dark place.

ironyogi

ironyogi

Awards
I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the butter aspect here. I understand MCT's and/or Coconut oil, but butter?

I just don't know. Do you see it is as an essential part of this blend, or could you get similar results with just the mct's/coconut oil?

MyKH3LL

MyKH3LL

Awards
I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the butter aspect here. I understand MCT's and/or Coconut oil, but butter?

I just don't know. Do you see it is as an essential part of this blend, or could you get similar results with just the mct's/coconut oil?
Well the basis of the Bulletproof diet (not just the coffee) is a high (quality) fat intake and ultimately, the focus is on the quality of food, the minimization of toxins etc., the idea behind the butter is to be a source of protein without destroying the quality of the proteins like milk does, from memory but also serves a massive good fat hit first thing in the morning, when combined with the MCT oil is enough to keep you feeling full for hours, effectively helping you push your 'fast' out for longer and provides you with 'endless' energy, focus and the the nutrition your brain needs to keep firing strong without hitting that wall or getting the typical early morning brain fog.

In the bulletproof diet I suppose the grass fed butter is also the source of calcium as milk and cheese doesn't really have much place in the diet. It's more on the red end of the scale and therefore, recommended to be avoided.