Carbohydrate refeed questions

dpk33

Banned
Awards
Im currently 165, 14%bf. Im cutting at 2150 calories (180g carbs, 190g protein, 75g fat) daily. In my case would a carb refeed be optimal?

If so, when is the best time to do one? Workout day? Off day?

How much carbs should I aim for on my refeed day?

Can I use lots of juice and sugars to help me get my carbs for the day?

Is it alright to put myself around maintenance/a slight surplus for just the refeed day?

aceroni

Awards
Im currently 165, 14%bf. Im cutting at 2150 calories (180g carbs, 190g protein, 75g fat) daily. In my case would a carb refeed be optimal?

Is it alright to put myself around maintenance/a slight surplus for just the refeed day?
How long have you actually been dieting?

I'd reefed after a heavy leg day.

You can do juice for breakfast or post workout but I would focus on complex carbs.

As far as the surplus I don't think it would hurt, but I usually drop my protein and fats on high carb days

dpk33

Banned
Awards
How long have you actually been dieting?

I'd reefed after a heavy leg day.

You can do juice for breakfast or post workout but I would focus on complex carbs.

As far as the surplus I don't think it would hurt, but I usually drop my protein and fats on high carb days
Oh I forgot to mention. I've been cutting for just under 2 months and I started at around 180.

So focus on complex carbs, but simple carbs are acceptable around a workout as well? Btw are refeeds completely useless during an off day?

aceroni

Awards
You could definitely do one then.
They're not useless on an off day but I like to get blood flow to my muscles then have a really high carb meal

dpk33

Banned
Awards
You could definitely do one then.
They're not useless on an off day but I like to get blood flow to my muscles then have a really high carb meal
Is this just personal preference or is there a benefit? Just wondering

aceroni

Awards
I think you'll get better recovery from that workout. I could be wrong, but it just makes sense.

EWolfe08

EWolfe08

Awards
If I understand right, you've been on strict diet for 8 weeks, at 180 carbs. Then I definitely think a refeed would benefit you. I would aim for 400-500 carbs on the refeed day (it should be surplus!) keep them as clean as possible, however a little sugar/cheat meal won't hurt. If this was during a prep I would say no, but for general leaning out then go for it. Refeed on a workout day would be idea, but not essential. imo.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established

I personally have a 4 day split. I would personally do a refeed once a week on a workout day. Middle of the week. Reason? Anabolic effect of refeed for 3 to 4 days after one refeed. This means I can do it on leg day and it will last till the end of my split. Once under 11% I would refeed every 5 days. Then once under 10% I would do a refeed every 4 days.

As for amount. ..... what works best for you? 100 g more carbs is a good place to start. Adjust from there.

Yes you can use lots of juice. Although...nothing like a sweet potato with a chocolate bar melted in the middle haha! Ice cream as well!

To answer the last bit...what works for you? No definit answer here.

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
Although...nothing like a sweet potato with a chocolate bar melted in the middle haha! Ice cream as well!
Try melting a dark chocolate bar on the stove and mixing in some white jasmine rice and then mixing that with a bowl of vanilla ice cream and a little almond milk.

It's the best thing in the world...

I've actually been using an organic dark mint chocolate bar that I get from Whole Foods recently and it's amazing.