Are salted peanuts good to eat when trying to lose weight?

SamJH

SamJH

Awards
Hi guys just wanted to know if salted peanuts are ok to eat when trying to lose weight?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Anything that fits your caloric allotment is fine.

The sodium may lead to water retention but no fat gain as long as you stay in a caloric deficit

SamJH

SamJH

Awards
Cardio or weights to cut down my body fat percentage?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Cardio or weights to cut down my body fat percentage?
Again as long as you are in a caloric deficit compared to your TDEE you will lose weight, I like to start out with just weight training to help retaining muscle.
High intensity weight sessions are essentially cardio as well if you keep heart rate up.

Cardio can be added on top once weight loss slows or stalls.

vujade

vujade

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nuts are great to eat while dieting. As LNG as you don't go crazy with them.
They are calorie dense, so the calories add up quickly.
My suggestion is to either weigh them out or count them so you Leno how much
Calories your taking in.

I eat an ounce of lightly salter almonds every day when cutting

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
Nuts are great to eat while dieting. As LNG as you don't go crazy with them.
They are calorie dense, so the calories add up quickly.
My suggestion is to either weigh them out or count them so you Leno how much
Calories your taking in.

I eat an ounce of lightly salter almonds every day when cutting
They may be calorie dense, but it's all protein and fat. So it's easy to go keto with nuts as a staple food

vujade

vujade

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
They may be calorie dense, but it's all protein and fat. So it's easy to go keto with nuts as a staple food
I agree completely. Ive use them when I'm on a Keto diet

I just meant that because they are calorie dense, its easy to over eat them and take
in too many calories for the day if your not paying attention.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I agree completely. Ive use them when I'm on a Keto diet

I just meant that because they are calorie dense, its easy to over eat them and take
in too many calories for the day if your not paying attention.
Been there! Ended up eating many calories of them over my allotment on a particularly tough project at work

PuZo

Awards
  • Established
I think they usually recommend a handful? You don't need a lot of them which is good.

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
As mentioned, peanuts are exceptionally dense in calories and fat. That said, if you enjoy eating them I would certainly think you'd be able to fit an ounce or two into your target macros. A single ounce (~28 nuts) runs close to 170 calories though, so it would be particularly easy to overeat should you fail to dish out a measured serving and bury the container in the yard.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
if you can only eat the correct amount... good luck w that :p

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Peanuts ftw

Am. J. Clin. Nutr., 2013

A randomized trial on the effects of flavorings on the health benefits of daily peanut consumption

Jones, JB; Provost, M; Keaver, L; Breen, C; Ludy, MJ; Mattes, RD
BACKGROUND: Chronic peanut consumption is associated with health benefits. To encourage consumption, peanuts are marketed with various flavorings, but questions have been raised as to whether seasonings offset the benefits of peanuts alone.
OBJECTIVE: This study sought to determine whether flavorings on peanuts affect health benefits over 12 wk.
DESIGN: In a randomized, parallel-group trial, 151 participants received 42 g peanuts/d as 14-g servings of 3 different flavors (n = 50) or a single flavor (n = 25-26/group). Anthropometric indexes, blood pressure, and heart rate were measured biweekly. Cardiovascular disease risk factors (serum lipids, insulin, glucose, and cortisol) were assessed monthly.
RESULTS: No single added flavor differentially altered body weight, body fat, body mass index, heart rate, or blood indexes in the total sample. Participants at greater risk of cardiovascular disease had significantly greater mean (±SE) reductions in diastolic blood pressure (-5.0 ± 1.7 mm Hg compared with -0.7 ± 0.6 mm Hg), cholesterol (-12.1 ± 8.5 mg/dL compared with +5.6 ± 2.0 mg/dL), and triglycerides (-31.7 ± 15.8 mg/dL compared with +2.3 ± 3.0 mg/dL) (n = 27, 24, and 15 respectively; P < 0.01) than did those at lower risk, who did not have significantly different cholesterol or triglyceride concentrations. Consumption of a variety of flavors led to greater weight gain (0.9 ± 0.3 kg) than did individual flavors alone (0.5 ± 0.2 kg) (P < 0.05), but increases in fat and lean masses were not significant.
CONCLUSIONS: Regardless of flavoring, peanut consumption offered significant benefits to participants with elevated serum lipids and blood pressure. Sensory variety led to a small, but significant, increase in body weight in comparison with ingestion of a single flavor but no change in fat mass. This trial was registered at clinicaltrials.gov as NCT01886326.

More nuts

Regular intake of High-Oleic peanuts improves fat oxidation and body composition in Overweight/Obese men pursuing a Caloric-Restricted diet.

AuthorsAlves RD, et al. Show all Journal
Obesity (Silver Spring). 2014 Mar 18. doi: 10.1002/oby.20746. [Epub ahead of print]

Affiliation
Abstract
Objective: Evaluate the effect of high-oleic and conventional peanuts within a hypocaloric-diet on energy metabolism and body composition. Design and methods: This 4-week randomized clinical trial included males with BMI of 29.7 ± 2.4 kg/m(2) and aged between 18-50 years. Participants were assigned to the groups: control (CT, n=22) that followed a hypocaloric-diet; conventional peanuts (CVP, n=22) or high-oleic peanuts (HOP, n=21) that received the hypocaloric-diet including (not adding) 56 g/day of peanuts. Glucose and fat oxidation, and body fatness and lean mass were the main outcomes. Results: Body weight and composition did not differ between groups. However, within group total body fat (kg) reduced with CVP and HOP, with a significant decrease in body fat percentage in HOP. While total lean mass (kg) decreased in CT, total lean mass (%) increased in HOP. Truncal lean mass decreased in the CT. At baseline, HOP had greater postprandial fat oxidation than the CVP. After 4-weeks, fasting fat oxidation increased in CVP and HOP. Fat oxidation increased in CT and HOP during the 200 minutes after meal intake compared to the fasting condition.

Conclusion: Regular peanut consumption, especially the high-oleic type, within a hypocaloric-diet increased fat oxidation and reduced body fatness in overweigh and obese men.

Beefeater71

Beefeater71

Awards
Salt isn't good for you period. Get use to unsalted. Sodium is in most things we eat.()Processed foods)

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
Salt isn't good for you period. Get use to unsalted. Sodium is in most things we eat.()Processed foods)
Sodium also isn't the Devil and actually serves many purposes in the body. Sodium is necessary for muscle contraction, the functioning if nerves, and many other body processes. I

Ristonian

Ristonian

Awards
Peanuts contain aflatoxins which are carcinogenic.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Peanuts contain aflatoxins which are carcinogenic.
You live in Africa brah?

Toxicol. Sci., 2013 vol. 135(1) pp. 251-9
Global risk assessment of aflatoxins in maize and peanuts: are regulatory standards adequately protective?
Wu, F; Stacy, SL; Kensler, TW
The aflatoxins are a group of fungal metabolites that contaminate a variety of staple crops, including maize and peanuts, and cause an array of acute and chronic human health effects. Aflatoxin B1 in particular is a potent liver carcinogen, and hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) risk is multiplicatively higher for individuals exposed to both aflatoxin and chronic infection with hepatitis B virus (HBV). In this work, we sought to answer the question: do current aflatoxin regulatory standards around the world adequately protect human health? Depending upon the level of protection desired, the answer to this question varies. Currently, most nations have a maximum tolerable level of total aflatoxins in maize and peanuts ranging from 4 to 20ng/g. If the level of protection desired is that aflatoxin exposures would not increase lifetime HCC risk by more than 1 in 100,000 cases in the population, then most current regulatory standards are not adequately protective even if enforced, especially in low-income countries where large amounts of maize and peanuts are consumed and HBV prevalence is high. At the protection level of 1 in 10,000 lifetime HCC cases in the population, however, almost all aflatoxin regulations worldwide are adequately protective, with the exception of several nations in Africa and Latin America.