becoming a nutritionist..... - AnabolicMinds.com

becoming a nutritionist.....

1. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

becoming a nutritionist.....

I'm recently debating the idea of becoming either certified or to get a bachelor's. The problem is I work full time on tugboats. Work one week on one week off. So a few questions would be maybe a cert would be quicker? Also what could you do with a cert? Seems that most states and mine included need you to have a bachelor's degree in nutrition. So what the heck would a cert do? Seems kinda pointless....
    Anybody that could she'd some light on this would be much appreciated.

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'5"  275 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I'm kinda in the same situation .... except I am not working at all at the moment. I've worked over 20 years in a career that has pretty much dried up in my area so I am sorta forced into career change. I have always wanted to be involved in the fitness/nutrition industry somehow. Figuring out how to get in is the hardest part as far as I can see. What cert do you get? Is a cert really going to get you anywhere? Go back to college and spend the time to get a degree? (I'm 43 so its been a long time since I was in college). Add all this to the fact that we are in a horrible economy now so finding any work is a challenge. So .... I don't really have any advice for you .... I would like to hear what others have to say in response to your post. Never give up is all I know .... that's whats keeping me going at this point.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  68 lbs.

Useful sharing,.
    •   

4. Pro Virili Parte

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

If you want a cert check out Berardi. Only thin I would suggest is you checm with your local state laws. Some states require you be a RD in order to give nutrition advice
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  5. Elite Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    If you want a cert check out Berardi. Only thin I would suggest is you checm with your local state laws. Some states require you be a RD in order to give nutrition advice
    I have this and would recommend it.

OP your PMs are full I was going to send you more info on it. Clear it and PM me if you'd like more info or have questions (anyone else with questions about the Precision Nutrition cert can PM as well).
    PES Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.

Depends on the state, every one is different. In general, you can usually take a course (even online) to be certified as a "nutritionist." While you'll definitely learn a lot and will be able to start consulting, this doesn't have any weight as far as being accredited. For accreditation most states require you to get a bachelor's and become a Registered Dietician or Dietetic Technician, both of which vary by state as well. Do a search on each and decide if you want to go through all of the schooling and the required (usually 9 month) internship. Instead you could do an intensive course to become a nutritionist and, if you have any entrepreneurial skills, you could build a business around that.
    BOOM!
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.

I'm going to school to be an RD.

Check your state laws and see what's required.

Nutrition is a pretty complicated science so I honestly don't think you'd benefit much from a 6 month certification or anything.
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Sry such a late reply. My state law requires a degree. So since that is the case here in ga. Couldn't I still use that for diet help? I mean most bodybuilders and personal trainers give diet consultation without a degree.... but I guess if that was the case I wouldn't really need a cert except only for a selling point to clients. Lol
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Look into the issa master trainer program or they're exercise science associate degree program both of which can be completed online are accredited and include a course on fitness nutrition. Not to pricey either. Not saying its the best option out there but not a bad one. If I'm not mistaken nutrition is a doctorate program and that's 8 years of school (4 for your bs in chemistry, 2 for your ms in biochem and another 2 for your PhD)
    The Swole Stoner
  10. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Look into the issa master trainer program or they're exercise science associate degree program both of which can be completed online are accredited and include a course on fitness nutrition. Not to pricey either. Not saying its the best option out there but not a bad one. If I'm not mistaken nutrition is a doctorate program and that's 8 years of school (4 for your bs in chemistry, 2 for your ms in biochem and another 2 for your PhD)
    There's generally specific nutrition programs. The courses will include o chem, biochem, etc., but they're used to fulfill the curriculum for a BS in nutrition and/or food science.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Ahh good to know if I ever get around to getting back in school
    The Swole Stoner
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

almost graduated with my nutrition science degree, the school i am going through cant certify me as an RD but im not sure i really want to be one anyway
    *185th U.S. Air Force*

Similar Forum Threads

1. Becoming a Trainer/Nutritionist
    By TeamT10 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-05-2011, 05:25 PM
  2. what is to become of anabolicarchive?
    By dez/null in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-17-2003, 04:18 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-28-2003, 02:28 PM
  4. how do you become a member
    By Judo Tom in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-30-2002, 12:11 PM
  5. How do you become a ....
    By bpdaddy in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2