Problem with Alcohol (serious)

TrashCanman14

Awards
Hey guys,

I'm having an issue that I really need some feedback on. I'm 30 now, and never drank until college. In college I was in a frat and partied hard for all four years (only weekends). After I graduated I kept this lifestyle up for a bit and then just moved into more of a social drinker / would have more than a few on rare occasions.

I am now finding that if I have even 2 beers, I feel awful the next day. Not hungover mind you, but just *depressed* *anxious* *unmotivated*. The effect lasts anywhere from 24 hours - a few days. If I have a night of drinking really hard (NYE or something) I am a wreck for the better half of a week.

The obvious answer is to limit my drinking to 1 drink..I know that, but I am interested in WHAT is happening. This never happened in the past. I don't want to fix it (I won't miss alcohol) but I am worried it is a sign of something else. Normally I am a very happy person. Any ideas?

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Rather a forum my personal opinion would be to sit down and talk this over with your doctor. Only he/she can truly give you a list of options that directly apply to your life, lifestyle, and past medical history.

TrashCanman14

Awards
Thanks themovement. I think giving up booze entirely is probably the best course of action.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thanks themovement. I think giving up booze entirely is probably the best course of action.
To be honest with ya I think thats the best option. Its an extra expense that isnt truly adding a benefit w/o side effects later. Yet again not a Dr., Nor can I tell you what to do. dont want to sound like an A-hole lol but I would give away anything left around and put that cash towards a great dinner later this month.

tjbruno

tjbruno

Awards
sounds like you feel guilty afterwards

TrashCanman14

Awards
To be honest with ya I think thats the best option. Its an extra expense that isnt truly adding a benefit w/o side effects later. Yet again not a Dr., Nor can I tell you what to do. dont want to sound like an A-hole lol but I would give away anything left around and put that cash towards a great dinner later this month.
Not an a-hole comment at all! I think you are exactly right. Maybe my body is aging and can't deal with it anymore. I really think its just that I do it rarely now and am very healthy...so I can feel the difference. It just doesn't align with my goals anymore. Its sad because most of my friends are still party animals, but I guess its time to make new ones.

TrashCanman14

Awards
sounds like you feel guilty afterwards
That's a really big part of it. Yeah I feel guilty, depressed, second guess everything I said or did (even if not drunk)...its a pretty f'd situation. Feels a lot like when I was coming off gear on taking a hefty does of clomid (years ago and completely off booze). Like I said, I'm normally as happy as they come.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Not an a-hole comment at all! I think you are exactly right. Maybe my body is aging and can't deal with it anymore. I really think its just that I do it rarely now and am very healthy...so I can feel the difference. It just doesn't align with my goals anymore. Its sad because most of my friends are still party animals, but I guess its time to make new ones.
Hey man, as the times change so do we. The AM community is here for ya in mental support hopefully they will provide outlets for ya that wont temp or put your in bad situations.

TrashCanman14

Awards
Hey man, as the times change so do we. The AM community is here for ya in mental support hopefully they will provide outlets for ya that wont temp or put your in bad situations.
Thanks brotha man!

aw1981

Awards
Alcohol has a particularly unpleasant effect on me when I have a minimal amount of food in my stomach.

TrashCanman14

Awards
Alcohol has a particularly unpleasant effect on me when I have a minimal amount of food in my stomach.
Same here. Although the effect is more pronounced when I have a minimal amount of food, it is present regardless.

polackpl

polackpl

Awards
Alcohol is already a depressant - you should stay away from it as much as you can
It does produce all your symptoms ... like in most people (on a smaller scale)
But your placebo of freaking out and panicking magnifes the effect
Stop drinking for yourself

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey guys,

I'm having an issue that I really need some feedback on. I'm 30 now, and never drank until college. In college I was in a frat and partied hard for all four years (only weekends). After I graduated I kept this lifestyle up for a bit and then just moved into more of a social drinker / would have more than a few on rare occasions.

I am now finding that if I have even 2 beers, I feel awful the next day. Not hungover mind you, but just *depressed* *anxious* *unmotivated*. The effect lasts anywhere from 24 hours - a few days. If I have a night of drinking really hard (NYE or something) I am a wreck for the better half of a week.

The obvious answer is to limit my drinking to 1 drink..I know that, but I am interested in WHAT is happening. This never happened in the past. I don't want to fix it (I won't miss alcohol) but I am worried it is a sign of something else. Normally I am a very happy person. Any ideas?
This could be an effect on your e2 or serotonin, which are both heavily influenced by alcohol intake. Everybody is different, but as you get older, you body has a harder time adjusting. That is why you always hear about people getting hangovers when they get older and never were bothered when they were younger. Alcohol is in play with everything- your liver, blood sugar levels, brain, etc..

If you are knowing that you will be drinking, I would take this and see if it helps you:
5-htp
vitamin D and B
milk thistle

...or you could abstain or look at marijuana as a social option.

BTW- you are not alone in this. It is a running joke whenever we all get together and go out for a big night that we'll all be feeling normal by Wednesday. Kind of puts things into perspective for how willing you are to party.

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
Alcohol is a gaba antagonist. And too much gaba and gaba withdrawal can lead to depression. look up phenibut and some of the side effects too much of that can cause. Feel better man. And if booze is something that your body can't handle its not a bad thing. You can always have a cranberry juice for your period. ( Departed reference lol)

TrashCanman14

Awards
Alcohol is a gaba antagonist. And too much gaba and gaba withdrawal can lead to depression. look up phenibut and some of the side effects too much of that can cause. Feel better man. And if booze is something that your body can't handle its not a bad thing. You can always have a cranberry juice for your period. ( Departed reference lol)
Sonofabitch. You just hit the nail on the head. Once in a while I'll take Phenibut and get something similar. Once in a VERY long while I'll take both Phenibut and alcohol. The hangover kicks my ass into the ground. I'll never do that again and will abstain from massive alcohol binges too.

I appreciate the advice but I'd rather just not drink than throw more pills down the hatch when I do. Drinking is just fundamentally not aligned with my goals in life at this point. Sucks getting older.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
This sounds more mental than physiological; unless your gaba sensitive.

TrashCanman14

Awards
This sounds more mental than physiological; unless your gaba sensitive.
I thinks it a sensitivity. My mood is very normal and stable without booze. Whenever I introduce it I have problems. I'm great without it.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There is something to it because phenibut is absolute poison to me. I take a minimal dose like 500mg and I am useless for 3 days. Alcohol doesn't have that effect, but I know a lot of people that it does. Drink on Saturday and everything starts feeling normal by Wed.

steak taco

steak taco

Awards
Your not alone. I've been noticing this myself over last year or so. In the not so distant past I could drink with the best of them. Not anymore because like Kisaj said I feel like complete ass until Wednesday. I went to a small BBQ this weekend and had 4 beers over a 5 hour period and felt horrendous by the time I got home. Ended up laying down and taking nap on couch from 7pm-9pm :( Weird thing is it wasn't like I was ever even buzzed where I should of felt like this or had hangover I was just exhausted and super unmotivated. I'm going to my doc on Friday for TRT check in and will ask for input. Once I know I will share. I'm in the same boat where I'm old enough to move on from the partying but would like to have a beer or two without feeling like death.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Trust me that I know this is not the answer, but if I know I am going out drinking or a social event, I take an extra 2 pumps of Formeron and it helps a ton. My only issues are related to e2 and I feel it the next day.

juiceyyy91

Awards
Hey guys,

I have an idea, just don't drink!! I am a recovering heroin addict, sounds like you have addictive behavior towards alcohol. You have just one then your a wreck cuz u all of a sudden stop. Its all in your head bro, just stay away from the booze and you will not have this issue. Trust me you think that is rough? try being a heroin addict. Lol.. but like I said just stay away from the booze ans stay away from people who drink, it will only enable you.

juiceyyy91

Awards
Drugs and alcohol only cause problems, I have experienced this first hand on many occasions.. lol

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
I used to drink heavy ..... I mean heavy. I could put away an 18 pack and a bottle of Jim Beam daily after work. Then I began this fitness / bodybuilding journey. Slowly I started replacing bad behavior patterns/habits with good ones. Once you start to see results in the gym and muscle beginning to grow where flab once was it gets easier to stay away from the alcohol. Knowing that alcohol will destroy your gains is the best reason out there to abstain or at the very least keep it in very rare moderation. I like a cold beer on a hot day like any guy but If I do indulge I keep it to one or two at the most and rarely more than once a month these days. The muscle I've built over the past 8 years is far outweighs the enjoyment from that bottle ..... just a thought.

steak taco

steak taco

Awards
Sorry guys, I totally forgot to ask my doc about this on Friday.

ShaneSolomon

ShaneSolomon

Awards
I used to drink heavy ..... I mean heavy. I could put away an 18 pack and a bottle of Jim Beam daily after work. Then I began this fitness / bodybuilding journey. Slowly I started replacing bad behavior patterns/habits with good ones. Once you start to see results in the gym and muscle beginning to grow where flab once was it gets easier to stay away from the alcohol. Knowing that alcohol will destroy your gains is the best reason out there to abstain or at the very least keep it in very rare moderation. I like a cold beer on a hot day like any guy but If I do indulge I keep it to one or two at the most and rarely more than once a month these days. The muscle I've built over the past 8 years is far outweighs the enjoyment from that bottle ..... just a thought.

^ I agree with the idea this guy is getting across. I went through a similar experience of binge drinking then started training.

I read in a nutrition book awhile ago that higher levels of Glutamine reduce your desires and cravings for alcohol. And, I believe that is true because once I changed my lifestyle and redirected my efforts towards training I lost a TON of interest in booze. I still try new beers here and there, because it interests me. However, I wouldn't be too down on yourself or anything. Like previous replies stated... I'd get into your Doc and see what options you have/what they recommend!
Good luck man!