using expired mass gainer protein?

FitnessLuke

Awards
Ordered some mass gainer for dirt cheap...10 bucks for 4.5 lbs 20 servings, 32 grams of protein total carb 49 grams. I am actually just using this as a meal replacement bc it appears very healthy compared to weight gainers. So got it for a steal, but discovered it expires in march..any warnings about comsuming expired protein?

FitnessLuke

Awards
Oh and just consumed some and it tasted great considerig its a gainer. Like not clumpy and taste is decent. Doesnt taste expired..ha

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
personally I wouldn't eat it if it was like a couple yrs expired. that's if its unopened. if its opened and expired by much I just throw it out...
nothing worse than rancid protein.

FitnessLuke

Awards
Its scivation mass gainer

It expires march, 2014...so its like just now expiring.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
Its scivation mass gainer

It expires march, 2014...so its like just now expiring.
If it wasn't opened i'm sure it is fine. I've had expired protein (about 3 months expired) before and it was fine.

FitnessLuke

Awards
If it wasn't opened i'm sure it is fine. I've had expired protein (about 3 months expired) before and it was fine.
Okay good to know I should have all this used up by then...got 60 servings worth....if it wasnt so bulky id put the other two containers in my fridge

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
dude its fine. as long as it mixes well and doesn't taste funny, you'll be fine. the companies are required to date them but in most cases they're fine for at least another 6 months. its also depends on how they are stored too. if they're sitting on a shelf in the sun all day at the store chances are the date might hold more value. but if it was in a cool warehouse or in your closet there's nothing to worry about!

FitnessLuke

Awards
dude its fine. as long as it mixes well and doesn't taste funny, you'll be fine. the companies are required to date them but in most cases they're fine for at least another 6 months. its also depends on how they are stored too. if they're sitting on a shelf in the sun all day at the store chances are the date might hold more value. but if it was in a cool warehouse or in your closet there's nothing to worry about!
Thanks man I am going with your advice.. Took two servings today and no stomach ache so I am guessing its all good

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yea, you're totally fine. Most of the time those dates are for retailers to make sure they're pulled from shelves. They'll be good for many more months.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
if only steak weren't so expensive

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
hahahah yes! well it still is tons of fun, beats cutting any day