Impact of Metformin on bodybuilding?

maxram

maxram

Awards
Hi, I'm relatively new here and i didn't know where this should go.

I just started bodybulding (age 28) but had to stop after getting sick last year with stomach problems (never eat Balut if you're not used to it!)

It was by chance that my doctor discovered through my labworks that I'm predisposed to diabetes type 2 and insulin resistance was showing with my high FBS but normal 1hr and 2hr blood glucose test. I'm getting 140 mg/dl average for 3 days.

So I'm now taking metformin. I know it can help with weight loss a little by making the body use up its glycogen stores.

However i read that it can also decrease androgen production. I tried searching on the net though the usual data comes up for only those with polycystic ovaries for women. I was wondering if it has an effect on men and is anyone here on metformin?

Thank you

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
metformin is a class of drugs typically used as a glucose disposal agent (GDA). it can lower insulin secretion and improve insulin resistance.
people find it very useful for glycogen supercompensation, as well as disposing of excess glucose wich can help inducing ketosis. it will not effect hormone production to any degree that will harm your lifting goals if at all.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
metformin is a class of drugs typically used as a glucose disposal agent (GDA). it can lower insulin secretion and improve insulin resistance.
people find it very useful for glycogen supercompensation, as well as disposing of excess glucose wich can help inducing ketosis. it will not effect hormone production to any degree that will harm your lifting goals if at all.
It slightly does effect hormone production.

If you need it, take it. But speak to your doctor about your concerns and possible herbal alternatives

I developed recompadrol based off my uncles needs (type 2 diabetic) but the MOAs carry over go bodybuilding. Look into it.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'm going to resurrect this thread.

I've been experimenting with metformin very recently and it is honestly great stuff. I've done buffets, junk food, clean food, high carbs, moderate carbs. I even used it to drop me into ketosis. I wont be doing the cheats anymore, as I know health wise it can't be good, but I haven't gained any fat at all lol and the pumps on arm day after a carb up have been out of this world. Just what I've found. Think it would be great for a refeed.