How do you carb/cal cycle? - AnabolicMinds.com

How do you carb/cal cycle?

  1. New Member
    ChefJoey's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    356
    Rep Power
    47012

    Reputation

    How do you carb/cal cycle?


    Looking to make a serious attempt at carb cycling for the first time.

    I've never quite had a heavy interest but after hearing so many positive results I've decided to do it for at least a couple months.

    I'm hovering around 170# and 10-12% so ideally I would like to lean up a bit without dropping significant weight. Not overly concerned with gaining weight.

    Would be curious to hear some stories and diet plans from you guys.

    Cheers.

  2. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    The Solution's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    9,321
    Rep Power
    6496557

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Keep macros pretty much identical daily maybe drop 25-30g carbs on non workout days
    Massive swings may really hamper recovery and may also crush you on off days, the thing that matters most is the caloric deficit, major swings are not necessary, but they can work, but in the end as long as your in a deficit you will still lose just depends on how you want to do things and personal preference (For instance UD 2.0 and massiive swings from PSMF to refeeds)
    Team Inov8 Elite Performance
  3. New Member
    ChefJoey's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    356
    Rep Power
    47012

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by The Solution View Post
    Keep macros pretty much identical daily maybe drop 25-30g carbs on non workout days
    Massive swings may really hamper recovery and may also crush you on off days, the thing that matters most is the caloric deficit, major swings are not necessary, but they can work, but in the end as long as your in a deficit you will still lose just depends on how you want to do things and personal preference (For instance UD 2.0 and massiive swings from PSMF to refeeds)
    So you're saying keep macros the same each day, in a deficit, and drop carbs 20-30g on off days?

    My maintenance is right about 2500 and that's what I've been eating at the last couple months and weight has been steady.

    I thought carb cycling would be more like keeping cals the same but eating high carb on workout days (300g) and low carbs on off days (150g)?

    I've been looking into this for awhile and feel it may be an eating style I'd adopt indefinitely, but need to figure out exactly how I'm setting it up.
    •   
       

  4. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    The Solution's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    9,321
    Rep Power
    6496557

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Like i said above, PERSONAL PREFERENCE on how you want to do it.

    if you instantly eat the same thing everyday, then jack carbs up to 300g on workout days and 150g on normal days you just added 150g of carbs which is 600 kcals and that wont really aid your weightloss because you just increased your total kcal amount.

    your not factoring your 2500 kcals into the picture, the total amount of kcals is what matters for weightloss, not cycling your calories or carbs, if you are eating in a deficit you will lose weight, and when you stall you either have to drop kcals, increase refeeds, or increase cardio.
    Depending on leaness, what your already doing, your volume, your frequency of training, and many other factors that make a major difference in the big picture of weightloss/fatloss.

    like i posted above you could eat 300g of carbs on workout days and 150g on off days, but if your kcals still = 2500 then it wont aid your weightloss because you said you stalled. If you want to drop kcals to 2400 since you stalled and eat that everyday i bet the ball will start rolling again because you increased the deficit slowly. which is key to weightloss and retaining muscle and not trying to lose a lot of strength when dieting.
    Team Inov8 Elite Performance
  5. New Member
    ChefJoey's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    356
    Rep Power
    47012

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by The Solution View Post
    Like i said above, PERSONAL PREFERENCE on how you want to do it.

    if you instantly eat the same thing everyday, then jack carbs up to 300g on workout days and 150g on normal days you just added 150g of carbs which is 600 kcals and that wont really aid your weightloss because you just increased your total kcal amount.

    your not factoring your 2500 kcals into the picture, the total amount of kcals is what matters for weightloss, not cycling your calories or carbs, if you are eating in a deficit you will lose weight, and when you stall you either have to drop kcals, increase refeeds, or increase cardio.
    Depending on leaness, what your already doing, your volume, your frequency of training, and many other factors that make a major difference in the big picture of weightloss/fatloss.
    Yeah, I understand the calorie equation in it all.

    On lifting days, I'd be raising my carbs up to 300 but dropping fats to keep the same overall cals for the day.

    Was more or less setting this thread up to hear how people set up their diet and approached it I guess.
  6. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    The Solution's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    9,321
    Rep Power
    6496557

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by ChefJoey View Post
    Yeah, I understand the calorie equation in it all.

    On lifting days, I'd be raising my carbs up to 300 but dropping fats to keep the same overall cals for the day.

    Was more or less setting this thread up to hear how people set up their diet and approached it I guess.
    You just set it up yourself,
    There are countless articles on carb cycling by layne, shelyb etc right on google and you can look them up.
    Also you could read Lyle's Ultimate Diet 2.0 which is an amazing book and highly suggest it.
    Team Inov8 Elite Performance
  7. Senior Member
    xR1pp3Rx's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  222 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,477
    Rep Power
    970762

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    the most effective carb cycleing plan ive followed was the zero impact diet by jack owac.
    it starts u off the first month 2 no carb/low carb days, and 1 carb day.
    the second and 3rd month you switch to 1 on 1 off for carb days.
    after the 3rd month you should be ready to return to the carbs everyday routine with the insulin resistance of a 10 yr old.
    FINAFLEX forum rep
    visit our website at finaflex.com
  8. Elite Member
    hvactech's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,439
    Rep Power
    2612247

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by xR1pp3Rx View Post
    the most effective carb cycleing plan ive followed was the zero impact diet by jack owac.
    it starts u off the first month 2 no carb/low carb days, and 1 carb day.
    the second and 3rd month you switch to 1 on 1 off for carb days.
    after the 3rd month you should be ready to return to the carbs everyday routine with the insulin resistance of a 10 yr old.
    12 weeks of carb manipulation! Id go insane
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  9. Senior Member
    xR1pp3Rx's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  222 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,477
    Rep Power
    970762

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
    12 weeks of carb manipulation! Id go insane
    cooking was tedious... but results were gtg. also anyone can handle a couple days of no carbs.. its when people drop into ketosis that the mind starts to freak out a bit..so you could probably do this style diet and not be too bothered.. whereas the strict keto style diet might make u loose yo mind.
    FINAFLEX forum rep
    visit our website at finaflex.com
  10. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    The Solution's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    9,321
    Rep Power
    6496557

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by xR1pp3Rx View Post
    cooking was tedious... but results were gtg. also anyone can handle a couple days of no carbs.. its when people drop into ketosis that the mind starts to freak out a bit..so you could probably do this style diet and not be too bothered.. whereas the strict keto style diet might make u loose yo mind.
    UD 2.0 may do the same on PSMF then massive refeeds.
    Team Inov8 Elite Performance
  11. New Member
    ChefJoey's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    356
    Rep Power
    47012

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by xR1pp3Rx View Post

    cooking was tedious... but results were gtg. also anyone can handle a couple days of no carbs.. its when people drop into ketosis that the mind starts to freak out a bit..so you could probably do this style diet and not be too bothered.. whereas the strict keto style diet might make u loose yo mind.
    So far I've been keeping cals below maintainence and cycling carbs on lift-off days.

    I lift 3 days a week so those are my "high" carb days (around 250) and then my 4 other off days I keep carbs below 150 and increase fats to keep overall cals the same 7 days a week.

    Too soon to tell as its only been a week but I thought low carb days would drive me crazy but I've barely even noticed.
  12. New Member
    johntpatterso's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    101
    Rep Power
    1174

    Reputation

    i keep my carbs pretty low all the time. training days i shoot for 200-250g carbs. rest days i up the fats a little and go 100-150g carbs. then i usually have a higher carb day (leg day) that's 300-350g carbs once a week. This method has been working well for me
  13. Senior Member
    xR1pp3Rx's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  222 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,477
    Rep Power
    970762

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by The Solution View Post
    UD 2.0 may do the same on PSMF then massive refeeds.
    believe me.. like I said, zero impact was far too labor intensive. also I prefer a CKD over all other diets. UD2.0 is good for the masses but I even more prefer its paternal parent body opus when it gets down to the nutz and bolts.
    FINAFLEX forum rep
    visit our website at finaflex.com
  14. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    The Solution's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    9,321
    Rep Power
    6496557

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by xR1pp3Rx View Post
    believe me.. like I said, zero impact was far too labor intensive. also I prefer a CKD over all other diets. UD2.0 is good for the masses but I even more prefer its paternal parent body opus when it gets down to the nutz and bolts.
    I feel you on that, my first contest prep i worked as a landscaper, and i was walking almost 7-8 miles a day on top of cardio and low kcals on a diet (lowest i got was 2,000) because of how much NEAT (non exercise activity) i racked up, still all that walking takes a toll on your legs. some days i would wake up not wanting to walk or get out of bed it was so damn bad.
    Team Inov8 Elite Performance
  15. New Member
    ChefJoey's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    356
    Rep Power
    47012

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by ChefJoey View Post

    So far I've been keeping cals below maintainence and cycling carbs on lift-off days.

    I lift 3 days a week so those are my "high" carb days (around 250) and then my 4 other off days I keep carbs below 150 and increase fats to keep overall cals the same 7 days a week.

    Too soon to tell as its only been a week but I thought low carb days would drive me crazy but I've barely even noticed.
    Doing this for about 8 days now and already seeing some slimming in the waist and chest. Not too difficult to follow when you get a rhythm.

    Going to be experiencing with some load days as even my "high" days barely crack 200g/carbs. Likely introduce one a week on a heavy lift day.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. how do you consume your cycle support??
    By flw in forum Supplements
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-04-2008, 04:45 PM
  2. How do you think the pro's cycle... they dont
    By BOVEY in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-31-2006, 04:08 PM
  3. how do you combat abdominal fullness on-cycle???
    By s.norman in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-19-2005, 11:04 AM
  4. Future cycle plans, how do you like them?
    By meathead1987 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-11-2004, 08:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in