New guy here

2011Roush

2011Roush

Awards
Hello everyone I've been lurking for a few months just reading and absorbing all the info I can. I will give a little background first I am 36 years old and 5'8" tall. I started my quest December 16th last year and weighed in at 197# I first started eating right and joined my local gym with all the other wackos January first. I currently workout with weights 3 days a week with cardio before my workout and a after cool down. I also do 1 day strictly cardio of running 3-4 miles. I have been using my fitness pal to help me track my calories daily. As of today I am down to 177# and I feel years younger. I have figured my tdee and it says 2500 calories for maintenance I am on my feet all day for work walking all over the shop. So my goal for this year is this....... I am at 177# 18%bf according to a caliper test. Is it possible to get to 190 10% by December 31st this year? If it is does anyone have any advice to help me with this quest. I feel it is a obtainable goal but I am new to all this.

2011Roush

2011Roush

Awards
Man 30 views and no one has any advice..... not even a "your an idiot for joining a gym an January 1st".

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
You want to gain weight and lose considerable BF%. It would not be easy, but the harder you try the better you will look by then regardless.

Myfitnesspal is great, keep tracking at all times and judge results in the mirror just as much as on the scale if not more.

If muscle gain is a prime goal here I would reverse your workout timing routine. Weights before cardio will enhance both your fat loss and strength gain. You don't want to be tired when you tackle the iron.

Are you using a particular split or training program?
What are your macros and dietary choices looking like?

The more details we get the more advice we can give you brother.

Congrats on getting a start on your goals so far

2011Roush

2011Roush

Awards
You want to gain weight and lose considerable BF%. It would not be easy, but the harder you try the better you will look by then regardless.

Myfitnesspal is great, keep tracking at all times and judge results in the mirror just as much as on the scale if not more.

If muscle gain is a prime goal here I would reverse your workout timing routine. Weights before cardio will enhance both your fat loss and strength gain. You don't want to be tired when you tackle the iron.

Are you using a particular split or training program?
What are your macros and dietary choices looking like?

The more details we get the more advice we can give you brother.

Congrats on getting a start on your goals so far
Thank you that's a great point. I will start hitting the weights before my cardio, I never looked at it that way. As far as training I found a beginner workout online that I figured would get me going. I do chest and triceps on Monday, back and biceps on Wednesday, legs and shoulders on Friday. I'm off work Tuesday and Thursday so I get some cardio in on my days off. As far as macros are concerned if you would of asked me that 3 months ago I would of told you it was short for macaroni and cheese.....after reading up on the forum I'm beginning to understand them and how important they are to me making my goals. I am still learning what my specific needs will be. My diet I feel is great. I haven't drank a bit of alcohol since new years eve and don't plan to very often. I eat scrambled eggs with spinach, bell peppers, onion, & wheat toast in the morning. Lunch is either chicken, steamed broccoli, & Brown rice or a similar meal I bring from home. I have several snacks thought the day apple, banana, pecans, whatever I have at home to bring. And last but not least dinner my wife always had a good meal ready when I get home. She can not do gluten or dairy so we don't eat out.... ever.

ChefJoey

ChefJoey

Awards
Thank you that's a great point. I will start hitting the weights before my cardio, I never looked at it that way.

As far as training I found a beginner workout online that I figured would get me going. I do chest and triceps on Monday, back and biceps on Wednesday, legs and shoulders on Friday. I'm off work Tuesday and Thursday so I get some cardio in on my days off.

As far as macros are concerned if you would of asked me that 3 months ago I would of told you it was short for macaroni and cheese.....after reading up on the forum I'm beginning to understand them and how important they are to me making my goals. I am still learning what my specific needs will be.

My diet I feel is great. I haven't drank a bit of alcohol since new years eve and don't plan to very often. I eat scrambled eggs with spinach, bell peppers, onion, & wheat toast in the morning. Lunch is either chicken, steamed broccoli, & Brown rice or a similar meal I bring from home. I have several snacks thought the day apple, banana, pecans, whatever I have at home to bring. And last but not least dinner my wife always had a good meal ready when I get home. She can not do gluten or dairy so we don't eat out.... ever.
Paragraphs brother lol

I think your goal is a very difficult one to be honest. Gaining 13 pounds while losing 8% of BF is extremely difficult even for an expert and may lead you splitting in two directions if you know what I mean.

I would suggest working on cutting down a bit and really figuring out what works for you from a nutritional point. The weights will always be there but I believe it needs to start in the kitchen. 18% BF is still quite a bit (no offense) so if you plan on adding 13 pounds, that number is only going to go up as its nearly impossible for most to add muscle and not add some fat.

Care to lay out the specifics of your beginner routine?

2011Roush

2011Roush

Awards
Paragraphs brother lol

I think your goal is a very difficult one to be honest. Gaining 13 pounds while losing 8% of BF is extremely difficult even for an expert and may lead you splitting in two directions if you know what I mean.

I would suggest working on cutting down a bit and really figuring out what works for you from a nutritional point. The weights will always be there but I believe it needs to start in the kitchen. 18% BF is still quite a bit (no offense) so if you plan on adding 13 pounds, that number is only going to go up as its nearly impossible for most to add muscle and not add some fat.

Care to lay out the specifics of your beginner routine?
Lol thanks I typed all that from my phone.

Here is my workout I'm using now. I'm 8 weeks into it it recommended to go 12 weeks with this particular workout.

Monday 3 sets of 10 on all below
Bb bench
Db flies
Chest press machine
Close grip bench
Skull crushers
Rope tricep pull downs

Wednesday
Dead lift
Pull ups
Bb rows
Ez curl bar curls
Hammer curls
Db preacher curls

Friday
Standing calf raises
Squats
Leg press
Military press
Arnold press
Db lateral raises

That pretty much sums it up. It is working but I don't know if I should switch it up after the 12 weeks is up.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
After the 12 weeks I would change it in some fashion. Either a whole new program or put a new emphasis on your current lifts, ie. lift closer to 1RM or lift lighter with higher repetitions.
I am a fan of the PHAT routine, check that out and see what you think.
Another good beginner program is DC
Or for fat loss I have enjoyed GVT

Diet looks pretty clean just keep under your TDEE until you're where you want to be for leanness then slowly bulk from there is my advice.

If possible shift your carbs to the peri workout period as much as possible.

2011Roush

2011Roush

Awards
After the 12 weeks I would change it in some fashion. Either a whole new program or put a new emphasis on your current lifts, ie. lift closer to 1RM or lift lighter with higher repetitions.
I am a fan of the PHAT routine, check that out and see what you think.
Another good beginner program is DC
Or for fat loss I have enjoyed GVT

Diet looks pretty clean just keep under your TDEE until you're where you want to be for leanness then slowly bulk from there is my advice.

If possible shift your carbs to the peri workout period as much as possible.
I looked at the PHAT routine it looks like a great next step. I have 3 weeks left then I'll need to decide which one to go with.
I've been keeping my calories below TDEE and weight is still coming off. I'm down to 176 this morning. So on my carbs should I try and consume any carbs for the day before the workout? I workout in the mornings dye to my work schedule.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
I looked at the PHAT routine it looks like a great next step. I have 3 weeks left then I'll need to decide which one to go with.
I've been keeping my calories below TDEE and weight is still coming off. I'm down to 176 this morning. So on my carbs should I try and consume any carbs for the day before the workout? I workout in the mornings dye to my work schedule.
Differences won't be huge as long as you hit your daily macros brother. For the mist optimal timing that is the way to go though, I keep 60% of my daily carbs to the post-workout period when they are more likely to be used to replenish muscle glycogen than form adipose tissue. (While GLUT-4 is still stimulated from exercise, and Insulin sensitivity is optimal)

2011Roush

2011Roush

Awards
Differences won't be huge as long as you hit your daily macros brother. For the mist optimal timing that is the way to go though, I keep 60% of my daily carbs to the post-workout period when they are more likely to be used to replenish muscle glycogen than form adipose tissue. (While GLUT-4 is still stimulated from exercise, and Insulin sensitivity is optimal)
I've been keeping about 60% of my carbs to post workout like you recommended. It seems to be going well. I'm still shedding weight so I guess my body isn't done losing fat. I was down to 173 this morning. I really don't want to lose anymore but I'm ok with it if that's what my body thinks is right.

I've read I should up my calories to 3000 to start gaining. What is everyone thoughts on that? I've very happy with the progress I've made in 10 weeks just trying to set my new set of goals.