my doctor told me not to drink protein shakes??!

Markos4

Awards
So i went to the doctor today and since i got high blood pressure(its not that high though)she asked me what my nutrition was like, i told her im bulking and i take protein shakes three times a day and she told me to only drink one and eat more food and told me to stop taking creatine because i could get a heart attack.my question is.. js all of this really true??

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No.

Get a more intelligent doctor.

In fact I think most of the research on creatine and hearts is positive and not negative. Not to mention you already have creatine in your body and get it from some foods.

Still, get a more intelligent doctor.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
So i went to the doctor today and since i got high blood pressure(its not that high though)she asked me what my nutrition was like, i told her im bulking and i take protein shakes three times a day and she told me to only drink one and eat more food and told me to stop taking creatine because i could get a heart attack.my question is.. js all of this really true??
I'm beginning to think your a troll. The doctor is probably telling you this because you're 17.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I'm beginning to think your a troll. The doctor is probably telling you this because you're 17.
Yep. If you're for real, let's get your doctors name so we can do a little research on him/her. I love it when doctors give diet and supplement advice.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yep. If you're for real, let's get your doctors name so we can do a little research on him/her. I love it when doctors give diet and supplement advice.
He may not be lying. It has happened to me. Especially with the...idk..protien scare?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Some doctors dont have a problem with supplemental protein but with not knowing the additives in the blend.

Bring in the label and ask why it should be avoided.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Oh I forgot about you. You are training to become Mr. Olympia. Bro, there's a small possibility that on this path you've chosen, doctors may tell you that some unhealthy decisions are being made on your part. Just a heads up.

Markos4

Awards
Some doctors dont have a problem with supplemental protein but with not knowing the additives in the blend.

Bring in the label and ask why it should be avoided.
Im not a troll guys,and i asked her why and she said that it has some contaminants in it and the only one that is regulated by a 3rd party law are muscle milk and iso pure and she also said that i could get a hearg attack becaise of those contaminants and fhat creatine and protein make the kidneys work too hard and that might be the reason why i have high blood pressure

Markos4

Awards
Oh I forgot about you. You are training to become Mr. Olympia. Bro, there's a small possibility that on this path you've chosen, doctors may tell you that some unhealthy decisions are being made on your part. Just a heads up.
And yea. I know that bro, but i didn't know they would even say something bad about whey protein

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
And yea. I know that bro, but i didn't know they would even say something bad about whey protein
No. I would already be looking for a new doctor in your case. But that's my answer for everything.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You don't have to worry about heart attacks and kidney/liver problems until you've been on gear for a decade or so. Not in your teens from protein and creatine.

PuZo

Awards
  • Established
As long as you are active, drink enough water, and are generally healthy, you are fine.

Markos4

Awards
As long as you are active, drink enough water, and are generally healthy, you are fine.
Yea i told her i drink alot of water and she said something might be wrong with my kidneys cuz i been having high blood pressure for the last 4 months already but they just called me from the clinic after checking my blood and they said my kidneys are okay so idk what shes going to say next time i see her.lol

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
Before we bash the 'intelligence' of the OP's doctor, we might pause to recognize that there is a kernel of good advice there.
Leaving aside the unnecessary creatine-phobia, the advice that a 17yr old limit themselves to one shake a day and to eat real food is hardly ridiculous.

Markos4

Awards
Before we bash the 'intelligence' of the OP's doctor, we might pause to recognize that there is a kernel of good advice there.
Leaving aside the unnecessary creatine-phobia, the advice that a 17yr old limit themselves to one shake a day and to eat real food is hardly ridiculous.
Yea i guess. Btw guys why do y'all think my blood pressure is high??

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
veaderko

veaderko

Awards
I dont trust any doctor that their solution is to disagree with anything that has been proven to be safe. Along with any doctor that their cure comes from a company that makes money off of people being sick.

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
I dont trust any doctor that their solution is to disagree with anything that has been proven to be safe. Along with any doctor that their cure comes from a company that makes money off of people being sick.
Not to pick a fight, but supplement companies make their money off of people believing they 'need' their products to achieve their fitness goals. Not really all that different

Markos4

Awards
Not to pick a fight, but supplement companies make their money off of people believing they 'need' their products to achieve their fitness goals. Not really all that different
But the question is: do supplements really have side effects?? I dont think they do like my doctor says that my kidneys might be malfunctioning because of protein shakes.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My doctor told me the same.. But none of these doctors (I'm assuming your doc is a family practitioner) know anything about powdered protein.

I did have a few proteins in my urine that made my doc tell me to stop taking them.
The bottom line is if taken responsibly powdered protein is an amazing supplement. But of course real food is always better.

Markos4

Awards
My doctor told me the same.. But none of these doctors (I'm assuming your doc is a family practitioner) know anything about powdered protein.

I did have a few proteins in my urine that made my doc tell me to stop taking them.
The bottom line is if taken responsibly powdered protein is an amazing supplement. But of course real food is always better.
Exactly! I completely agree with you, my urines color seems healthy so im good i guess and yea she is a family doctor. Also guys ive been taking arginine and my bp still the same after taking 7 grams every day for like 3 weeks already.idk why

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I cant . I just can't anymore. You guys are broskifying my mind. I. Must. Go. Away. Now.

Markos4

Awards
I cant . I just can't anymore. You guys are broskifying my mind. I. Must. Go. Away. Now.
Why?haha im just looking for help and i read arginine lowers ur bp, so i thought it'd be good for me and for the pumps.lol

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Was it Dr. Quinn medicine woman?

Markos4

Awards
Was it Dr. Quinn medicine woman?
Hahahaha her last name is actually quinn lol jk. Btw i forgot to tell yall that i even talk to another doctor and she said she was working as nutritionist for the texans(football team) and she told me not to tske creatine because it doesn't do anything and you just pee it, it doesn't get absorbed by your body.. i aint lying she really said that.

Markos4

Awards
And she also gave me some papers abojt foods i should eat b4 my workout,carbs,etc..

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
Hahahaha her last name is actually quinn lol jk. Btw i forgot to tell yall that i even talk to another doctor and she said she was working as nutritionist for the texans(football team) and she told me not to tske creatine because it doesn't do anything and you just pee it, it doesn't get absorbed by your body.. i aint lying she really said that.
I know that it is popular on this board to bash doctors, but look at the situation from her perspective.

You are 17 years old, presenting with elevated BP with no apparent other causes (that you have told us).
Your doc's attempt to get you off of supplements--which, I must point out, are SUPPLEMENTS (you don't need them)--and on to regular food, is not outrageous.
As a high school coach, I don't advise that my athletes use creatine.
Unlike your doc, I don't believe that "it doesn't do anything", but I will agree that its ergogenic benefits are mixed and that, when dealing with a growing body, aren't entirely worth it.

Remember, your doc is in the business of getting you healthy--apparently she has some concerns on this front that should be heard out.

Markos4

Awards
I know that it is popular on this board to bash doctors, but look at the situation from her perspective.

You are 17 years old, presenting with elevated BP with no apparent other causes (that you have told us).
Your doc's attempt to get you off of supplements--which, I must point out, are SUPPLEMENTS (you don't need them)--and on to regular food, is not outrageous.
Unlike your doc, I don't believe that "it doesn't do anything", but I will agree that its ergogenic benefits are mixed and that, when dealing with a growing body, aren't entirely worth it.

Remember, your doc is in the business of getting you healthy--apparently she has some concerns on this front that should be heard out.
Yea, i guess ill limit myself to two shakes per day and ima stop taking creatine for 2 months,and if my bp goes down,then we will know for sure that creatine was the cause.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established

I agree. Also something to note...If your a person with a high protien diet you can have elevated liver enzymes, excess creatnine and high bp. These are part of dealing with a high protein diet and nitrogen from excess. Harmless. He could see that and think something is wrong. Doctors don't usually deal with fitness junkies.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
I agree. Also something to note...If your a person with a high protien diet you can have elevated liver enzymes, excess creatnine and high bp. These are part of dealing with a high protein diet and nitrogen from excess. Harmless. He could see that and think something is wrong. Doctors don't usually deal with fitness junkies.
hence why I said he is probably bulking too fast!!

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Urine color, healthiness, kidney failure, argingine to lower bp.... I must read a physiology book to reset my mind now. I quit. I just quit as well.

Markos4

Awards
hence why I said he is probably bulking too fast!!
No im not guys, i just started bulking 2 weeks ago,and i hadnt taken any supplements in 2-3 months( i dont take anything but bcaas when cutting).

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
WTF are you guys talking about bulking too fast? I have never heard of someone saying that. Don't worry about your BP your young it will fix itself. Are you guys just saying he is gaining more fat instead of muscle? Even if he is who cares you can always cut fat later and he will learn next time.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Please post a complete list of what you are taking. I am saying a complete list including your daily diet....

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
WTF are you guys talking about bulking too fast? I have never heard of someone saying that. Don't worry about your BP your young it will fix itself. Are you guys just saying he is gaining more fat instead of muscle? Even if he is who cares you can always cut fat later and he will learn next time.
bulking you're probably eating more and saltier foods. You're also probably hitting the gym harder and have higher adrenaline levels. Fat is also probably increased when bulking. that's what I'm talking bout.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
....and whats the problem with telling a 17 yo pre-hypertensive(According to JNC 7) male to lay off the protein shakes and focus on diet?

Seriously...saying a doctor knows nothing because he/she says to get off protein shakes is a bit of a stretch, and if anything enforcing a culture that relies on supplements rather then basics.

At 17 you make gains like clockwork. You dont need supplements at 17...you need to learn your body, learn how it reacts to different foods, macro splits, meal timing, etc. Focus on the basics...basics build champions.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
....and whats the problem with telling a 17 yo pre-hypertensive(According to JNC 7) male to lay off the protein shakes and focus on diet?

Seriously...saying a doctor knows nothing because he/she says to get off protein shakes is a bit of a stretch, and if anything enforcing a culture that relies on supplements rather then basics.

At 17 you make gains like clockwork. You dont need supplements at 17...you need to learn your body, learn how it reacts to different foods, macro splits, meal timing, etc. Focus on the basics...basics build champions.
Whey protein is not a supplement. It's food. Creatine is already in steak. Should not cause issues. Beta alanine is also Natural and very studied.

Things I would avoid is pre workouts, pump products, fat burners, ara*inflammation effect could cause damage in theory* any sort of weight gainers, and any supplements with no tropics

Things I would consider useless at that age : fish oil. WHY? if you have plenty of fats *.3 to .5 per lb* you'll be fine. Plus...eating fish like shrimp with steak or pasta with shrimp, or tuna sandwiches, tuna salad, Mahi Mahi grilled with lemon pepper is something that should be a staple. Cheap, something your parents can easily cook, and plenty of fish oil.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Whey protein is not a supplement. It's food. Creatine is already in steak. Should not cause issues. Beta alanine is also Natural and very studied.

Things I would avoid is pre workouts, pump products, fat burners, ara*inflammation effect could cause damage in theory* any sort of weight gainers, and any supplements with no tropics

Things I would consider useless at that age : fish oil. WHY? if you have plenty of fats *.3 to .5 per lb* you'll be fine. Plus...eating fish like shrimp with steak or pasta with shrimp, or tuna sandwiches, tuna salad, Mahi Mahi grilled with lemon pepper is something that should be a staple. Cheap, something your parents can easily cook, and plenty of fish oil.
The only thing is that you are saying this as if you know what his diet is. I asked him to post his daily diet, without that everyone is shooting in the dark.

Markos4

Awards
Please post a complete list of what you are taking. I am saying a complete list including your daily diet....
Ok, like on friday i ate, 2 servings of corn flakes for breakfast(at home),and after i got to school 2 pop tarts and orange juice(for breakfast too), for lunch i ate 1 subway sandwich,10 oz of milk and for dinner i ate chicken but idk how to measure how much i ate,like how many oz. But i ate until i got full and ate like 3 slices of bread. I dont put salt on my food bcuz i know its bad for my health. Also i take 3 whey protein shakes a day,10 grams of creatine,7 grams of arginine and 7 of glutamine right after my workout

Markos4

Awards
Also im taking glucosamine because i had a car accident last.year and everytime i squat too heavy my right knee hurts because of it and the pain goes away if i take glucosamine daily.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I would have to politely disagree.

Whey protein is and always has been a food supplement. A supplement is something you add to your normal dietary intake in the efforts of achieving a given goal more efficiently. Whey protein is one of the older supplements, but by no means would I consider it comparable to chicken, beef, fish, eggs, etc. It's a food supplement and has its place in fitness and nutrition, but it is still a supplement.

To say it's a food is to say you can substitute whey protein for chicken, eggs, fish, beef, etc as the main protein source for your daily requirements. For example...I can trade chicken for fish for my daily protein intake, this is fine. I will not replace my chicken for a protein shake. I can add it to my meal of chicken, broccoli, and brown rice but I will not take out the chicken and just add an extra scoop of whey.

And though you properly pointed out creatine is already found in beef...it is one constituent of beef. Thats why creatine is a supplement...you a adding/supplementing to what you would normally take in with a healthy diet. By no means could you replace beef for creatine.

Another thing to note, what is safe for one is not safe for another. For example...it is safe for individual A to add a little salt to his fries....individual B suffering from primary hypertension it is NOT ok from him to add salt to his fries. Or how about this...Individual A has full renal function can safely drink 3 protein shakes a day while individual B is suffering from idiopathic renal insufficiency...it is NOT ok for this individual to drink 3 protein shakes a day.

FYI kidneys can play a significant role in hypertension...hypertension is by no means a pure cardiac issue.

The best person who can declare what is safe for any given individual is either a physician or some other health professional, contrary to the tone of this thread, non-medical professionals should not declare what is safe and what is not safe for specific individuals. This is a very dangerous practice.

Markos4

Awards
What do you guys think about the supplements i take?? Also i stopped taking creatine and i wont take it in the next 3 months to see if my bp goes down