my doctor told me not to drink protein shakes??!

Page 3 of 3 First 123

1. This is your diet:

Meal 1: 2 servings of cornflakes (probably in milk)
    Meal 2(probably 10-60 minutes later): poptarts and orange juice
    Meal 3: A subway sandwhich with 10 oz of milk
    Meal 4: Chicken until full with 3 slices of bread

Supplements: 3 whey shakes a day...creatine, arginine and glutamine

You really need to work on this diet before you even consider supplements. Learn how to count macronutrients and calories. Learn about the glycemic index, learn about meal timing, learn and learn some more. Drop the supplements for now and work on your diet.
    DISCLAIMER: Anything that I post on this forum should not be taken as medical advice. Consult your doctor before starting new diets, supplements, training protocols, and/or if you have any concerns about your health.

2. Quote Originally Posted by GoHardOrGoHme View Post
    This is your diet:

Meal 1: 2 servings of cornflakes (probably in milk)
    Meal 2(probably 10-60 minutes later): poptarts and orange juice
    Meal 3: A subway sandwhich with 10 oz of milk
    Meal 4: Chicken until full with 3 slices of bread

Supplements: 3 whey shakes a day...creatine, arginine and glutamine

You really need to work on this diet before you even consider supplements. Learn how to count macronutrients and calories. Learn about the glycemic index, learn about meal timing, learn and learn some more. Drop the supplements for now and work on your diet.
    But thats not why i have high blood pressure is it?
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by Markos4 View Post

To be honest it would be irresponsible of me to declare or even postulate WHY YOU are prehypertensive. There are a plethora of factors to take into account. In some cases diet and lifestyle does play a role, other cases it is symptomatic of an underlying condition, other cases it's genetic. I do not know why you're blood pressure is a bit on the high side, so it's best to listen to your doctor for now. This will allow you to focus on optimizing your diet.

What I can say is that you are relying way too much on protein shakes to meet your protein requirements, and your diet can improve.
    DISCLAIMER: Anything that I post on this forum should not be taken as medical advice. Consult your doctor before starting new diets, supplements, training protocols, and/or if you have any concerns about your health.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Markos4 View Post
    Instead of asking these questions to the boards you might want to just try getting a few other opinions from different primary care doctors, endocrinologists, etc. In your situation you will not find much worthwhile help here.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Markos4 View Post
    No one should give any medical advice unless they are a medical doctor; however, if it were ME, I would stop taking every supplement right now and focus on clean eating. After about 7 days, I would go back and get my blood pressure checked by my doctor. If your blood pressure is normal, you can postulate that it was due to one of your supplements. However, again, if it were me, I would have to go back and start each supplement one by one (say week to week) until i found the one that pushed my blood pressure up.

I say this because I have had to do this before under a doctors watch. It took a very long time to complete but I found out what it was that way.

There are other internet boards out there that do have doctors(not people in med school or just out of med school but veteran doctors) that discuss issues however, not many are going to just speculate without seeing you first but they will typical say "the average person" xyz.
    ---The internet is the father of the electronic lynch-mob---
    •   

6. How do you know it's supplement related? You could just have high pb naturally, it isn't uncommon. Things such as salt and stimulants increase bp.

Honestly why worry about it? You're 17 and in shape you're fine.

7. First off your docs advice isn't terrible. Second your diet is awful, and third no on on internet forum is going to be able to tell you why your bp is high.
    The Swole Stoner

8. Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    First off your docs advice isn't terrible. Second your diet is awful, and third no on on internet forum is going to be able to tell you why your bp is high.
    Ive been looking for good meal plans on the internet but most of them only tell you to eat red meat and stuff lkke that but dont tell you how much or when , they just tell you to eat a bunch of stuff and thats it thats why i prefer supplements.

9. So what your saying is that your just lazy.
    The Swole Stoner

10. I'm mot sure where you are looking but there are a plethora of websites that give out great diet plans for the average lifter. You basically have to learn how to search the engines and swim through the ocean of debris.

If you want to eat very clean just search for healthy high calorie meals. For instance, you can choose to eat 16 oz of ribs or 32 oz of fish. You can choose two big macs per day or two chicken breast, brown rice and a protein shake.
    ---The internet is the father of the electronic lynch-mob---

11. Love it!
    Go to a doctor and get told not to take creatine and reduce proteinshake intake. Disagree.
    Go on forum to state that it cannot be right and hope ppl to agree with you.
    They don't.

Still continue.

Next time when in doubt just get a book about the subject and ignore that.

12. Learning how to eat correctly is a challenge but is necessary to getting stronger. There is a lifter here on AM that is considered a nutritional guru of sorts. His name is Snagency2.0. Here is a link to one of his logs in which he lays out his meals and it gives great examples: Snag gets FINAFLEXed on Road to Nationals

Take the time and read through it. I think it will give you all the nutritional help you need.
    May I suggest using this app to track your bloodwork tests:
    myBloodTracker for IPhone and IPad
    https://appsto.re/us/vvMndb.i

13. Quote Originally Posted by hardknock View Post
    I'm mot sure where you are looking but there are a plethora of websites that give out great diet plans for the average lifter. You basically have to learn how to search the engines and swim through the ocean of debris.

If you want to eat very clean just search for healthy high calorie meals. For instance, you can choose to eat 16 oz of ribs or 32 oz of fish. You can choose two big macs per day or two chicken breast, brown rice and a protein shake.
    Thanks, i really appreciate it

14. Quote Originally Posted by kenpoengineer View Post
    Learning how to eat correctly is a challenge but is necessary to getting stronger. There is a lifter here on AM that is considered a nutritional guru of sorts. His name is Snagency2.0. Here is a link to one of his logs in which he lays out his meals and it gives great examples: Snag gets FINAFLEXed on Road to Nationals

Take the time and read through it. I think it will give you all the nutritional help you need.
    Thanks bro
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. What are the best ready to drink protein drinks?
    By chlorella in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-31-2008, 03:00 PM
  2. more reasons NOT to drink milk
    By knox in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 07-05-2007, 06:34 AM
  3. Will my doctor rat me out?
    By happydog48 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-07-2007, 02:45 PM
  4. why not to drink
    By ICantRunFast in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-05-2007, 10:19 PM
  5. My wife told me I should take steroids.
    By T-Bar in forum General Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-21-2003, 10:35 PM