Question about lentils and daily fiber intake

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I just started adding lentils to my diet. I should have been eating these earlier. I notice that per serving they contain 20g of carbohydrates with 11g of that being dietary fiber. So I guess that's 9g of net carbs.... I usually like to get at least 50-60g of carbs per meal (generally) so I'm thinking I nees to add another carb source with my lentil soup. And I'm not always going to be prepping brown rice, which I know would have been the obvious answer to my question. I'm fond of sweet potatoes because they take 4-5 minutes to cook.... In my lentil soup I usually use 2-3 servings, which would be 33g of dietary fiber. Would adding something like sweet potatoes to fill in my carb requirement be too much fiber? I guess no matter what I use will mean a lot of fiber in that meal (brown rice, sweet potatoe, whole wheat bread)... Should I worry about getting too much fiber in a day? Before I never had to think about it, but since I've added lentils to my diet, my daily fiber intake has nearly doubled. Thanks in advance for any replies... By the way, with the addition of lentils I'm assuming my daily fiber count is going to be around 60-70g.

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I occasionally hit 100g of fiber in a day and have no problems. You might hit gastrointestinal problems (blockage) if you rapidly increase fiber, but once you're adapted to high fiber it seems to have no effect, at least in my experience. I don't purposely aim for that much fiber, I just happen to get it through the foods I enjoy (whole wheat products, beans, kashi cereal, tons of vegetables). I very strongly suspect a lot of people who put down a high fiber intake don't count a lot of their calories and may not be aware of how much fiber they are actually getting, unless they are just eating a lot of processed foods.

One of my favorite filling snacks is heating up a can of fat free refried beans and putting it in some whole wheat tortillas!

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
That sounds good.. I love refried beans.... So how do you cope with farting? I get 'em bad lol

punjabimunde

punjabimunde

Awards
Indians make best lentils!! I love em :)