Reverse Dieting --> Layne Norton V-Log

McBurly

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Awesome video to watch!
Makes me think back to high school wrestling and constantly having my weight spike after weekend wrestling tournaments when I would gain 5-6lbs by the next day.

I wonder how adding certain things like Forskolin, Oleuropein, DCP 2.0 at the end of a cut would help or continuously taking them after the cut could help or hurt with rebound.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Awesome video to watch!
Makes me think back to high school wrestling and constantly having my weight spike after weekend wrestling tournaments when I would gain 5-6lbs by the next day.

I wonder how adding certain things like Forskolin, Oleuropein, DCP 2.0 at the end of a cut would help or continuously taking them after the cut could help or hurt with rebound.
[email protected]

his email addy.

l0rdcha0s

l0rdcha0s

Awards
I've been scouring the internet looking at reverse dieting. I have to say it seems to have worked for me, at least I think. I went from consuming 2000 calories the beginning of january to 3000 by the end of january and am currently going back down as he pointed out to slowly decrease your calories. I am unsure of whether my stable weight while increasing the calories came from the lackluster increase in carbohydrates over fat. I have been following a paleo-esque diet where most of my calories came from fat (50-60%). I was wondering if proper dieting (Norton's method) and reverse dieting had more to do with carbohydrate intake than fat. Is it possible or necessary on a paleo diet to play with carbohydrate and fat intake when adjusting calories or is losing fat (dieting) and maintaining weight (goal of reverse dieting) really tied to the amount of carbohydrates you consume? Does increasing fat consumption in lieu of carbs have the same effect?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Layne is not an advocate of a paleo diet at all, so he would not really support it.
The total net surplus of kcal's you consume will dictate gain, or deficit willl dictate loss. If you are meeting protein/fat/fiber minimums that is primarily your goal first and foremost.

l0rdcha0s

l0rdcha0s

Awards
I know he's not an advocate but was trying to adapt this concept to the diet. I've been aiming for about a little over 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass and 50-60% of my calories from fat. That usually leaves about 15% of calories from carbohydrates. I'm just wondering if his view of increased muscle glycogen storage capacity from consuming a massive amount of carbohydrates and then lowering them during the diet is that beneficial in the long run (or makes the muscles look more filled out). If that is the major component whether I should raise my carbohydrate consumption within the diet or will the fat be sufficient to replacing carbs in that respect? I usually get about 1/3-1/2 my carbohydrates from fiber.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Depends on the person and how they respond.
You should still keep fiber to 30-40g a day, going higher is not better, it can actually lead to backing up your intestines and also a lot of map-absorption from your food sources, and can cause blockage/cramping from too much fiber.

l0rdcha0s

l0rdcha0s

Awards
Hmmm thanks Ill keep that in mind. I remember reading that studies have theorized that our preagricultural ancestors could've gone as high as 100g of fiber. I've eaten up to about 60g on some days. Perhaps I'm putting too much emphasis on it. Thanks for all the info.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Hmmm thanks Ill keep that in mind. I remember reading that studies have theorized that our preagricultural ancestors could've gone as high as 100g of fiber. I've eaten up to about 60g on some days. Perhaps I'm putting too much emphasis on it. Thanks for all the info.
Very bad idea, i would suggest reading more MODERN research, layne norton has some good articles/vlogs regarding it. More is not better, it has a lot of bad side effects over prolonged periods of time

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Very bad idea, i would suggest reading more MODERN research, layne norton has some good articles/vlogs regarding it. More is not better, it has a lot of bad side effects over prolonged periods of time
I personally feel high carb moderate protein and a lowish fat intake is best for reverse dietig

When I noticed my body composition changing from hitting the 400s for carb intake. I dropped it and added more protein. Was the additional protein necessary? No. But my decision in balancing out calories with increase in protein and decrease in carbs was because I feel good on a reverse diet with my fat at 20-25% total Intake.

Also i take into consideration the following

De novo lipogensis
Macro timing

Fat (in excess after meeting caloric needs) is already in storage form. Just body doesn't need to do too much with it for it to be stored

Carbs contribute little to de novo lipogensis. So this is why I also carb backload

I hit all my fat requirements and some protein and carbs around my workout. Wait until dinner time and I just have protein carbs

Seems to be the best way at least for me and a lot of the people I've worked with

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
this is a great video. very good info