Critique my diet

merph

merph

Awards
Working on getting my diet stapled in. I'm currently spending 4 nights a week in a hotel so I'm trying to keep it simple. I'm just getting back into the gym after about a 2 year hiatus. I was working as a boilermaker so I've been less then sedentary but hoping to get back some strength and lean out a little So I can start bulking this fall without being a blob. About 3 years ago I was 6'1" 225 aprox 16-18% bf I'm currently 25 185 aprox 12-15%. I lift 3x a week while I'm home and some bodyweight exercises in the hotel during the week. I'm shooting for around 2100cal a day 20%/40%/40%

Breakfast:
1 Cup egg whites
1 Cup Oatmeal
1 Tbsp Honey
1 Oz Raisins

Meal 2:
5 Oz Chicken
1 Medium Sweet Potato
1 Cup Broccoli

Meal 3:
1 Oz Almonds
5 Oz Chicken
1/2 Cup Brown Rice
1 Cup Spinach

Meal 4:
5 Oz Chicken
1 Cup Rice
1 Cup Spinach

Meal 5
5 Oz Chicken
1 Cup Spinach
1 Cup Broccoli

That gives me 2067 calories @ 17%/41%/42% or 39g Fat 212g Carbs 222g Protein. Any constructive criticism is welcomed I'd like to get my diet dialed in before I start pissing away more money on supps haha.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Nice and clean for sure, the weight loss will be relative to how much of a deficit that amount of calories has you at. Adjust as needed.

In my opinion fat intake is low, I would increase it and drop some carbs in its place.

If there is a workout in your day somewhere then piling more of your carbs in that timeframe is ideal

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Nice and clean for sure, the weight loss will be relative to how much of a deficit that amount of calories has you at. Adjust as needed.

In my opinion fat intake is low, I would increase it and drop some carbs in its place.

If there is a workout in your day somewhere then piling more of your carbs in that timeframe is ideal
agree get fat to at least 20% of your kcals.
Sources are up to you i hate the term "Clean" as long as your getting adequate fiber, protein, fat, and also meeting MICRONUTRIENTS which is key that should be #1, if possible try for some fruits (more micros) like berries, grapefruits in your diet as well. Try to get some potatoes for potassium levels in your diet as well (white potatoes) Sweet give great Vitamin A. You also dont have to cut carbs off your last meal, or you could try reducing to 4 meals a day or 3 protein meals a day with 1 just a carb meal (to help elevate Muscle Protein Synthesis) I know Alberto Nunez likes to only do 3 protein feedings a day as well as layne prefers a lower meal frequency due to his research and also aids hunger levels when dieting:

http://www.biolayne.com/wp-content/uploads/Norton-J-Ag-Food-Ind-Hi-Tech-2008.pdf
http://www.slideshare.net/biolayne/optimal-protein-intake-and-meal-frequency-to-support-maximal-protein-synthesis-and-muscle-mass

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
agree with the above 2 post. Increase fat intake. Perhaps change a couple of those egg whites into whole eggs

ilia_p

Awards
Not to beat a dead horse - but I'd like to see the fat a little higher (minimum 20%) - this will keep your hormones happy and make sure test, etc. doesn't drop too low.

Also, one more comment. You seem to be getting most of your high GI carbs in the morning ... Unfortunately, I can't post links to my blog. But I did an article about this in which researchers found that your first meal sets up the metabolism for the rest of the day, making it easier to burn off other foods.

Consumption of a high fat meal upon waking (such as those bacon, eggs & sausages you’re about to pass up) was associated with increased ability to respond appropriately to carbohydrate meals eaten later in the day. On the other hand, eating a high carbohydrate morning meal ‘fixes’ the metabolism toward JUST utilizing carbohydrates and impairs the body’s ability to adjust metabolism toward fat usage later that day.

That, and the fact that cortisol is highest in the morning, is (IMO) a good enough reason to limit the insulin spiking early in the morning - especially if we're after optimal body composition.

merph

merph

Awards
Thanks for the replies. I'm still working on more options but I'll add some fats for sure. Ilia_p could you pm me the info to your blog I'd be interested in checking it out. I'll work on tweaking my macro's today and post up changes hopefully tonight or tomorrow.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not to beat a dead horse - but I'd like to see the fat a little higher (minimum 20%) - this will keep your hormones happy and make sure test, etc. doesn't drop too low.

Also, one more comment. You seem to be getting most of your high GI carbs in the morning ... Unfortunately, I can't post links to my blog. But I did an article about this in which researchers found that your first meal sets up the metabolism for the rest of the day, making it easier to burn off other foods.

Consumption of a high fat meal upon waking (such as those bacon, eggs & sausages you're about to pass up) was associated with increased ability to respond appropriately to carbohydrate meals eaten later in the day. On the other hand, eating a high carbohydrate morning meal 'fixes' the metabolism toward JUST utilizing carbohydrates and impairs the body's ability to adjust metabolism toward fat usage later that day.

That, and the fact that cortisol is highest in the morning, is (IMO) a good enough reason to limit the insulin spiking early in the morning - especially if we're after optimal body composition.
Please educate me on the specifics on how fats in the morning changes the insulin response and high gi carbs are bad?

I do agree on the 20% fats

merph

merph

Awards
Updated version

1/2 cup egg whites
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 Tbsp Peanut butter
1 Oz. Rasins

5 Oz Chicken
1 Cup Brown Rice
1 Oz Almonds

5 Oz Chicken
1 Medium Sweet potato
1 Cup Spinach

1 Can Tuna
2 Oz Cantaloupe

5 Oz Chicken
1 Cup Rice
1 Cup Spinach
1 Oz Almonds

That puts me around 2158cal with 58/188/223 with a percentage of 24/35/41 F/C/P. I'll start with alternating between the two and adding a spoonful of peanut butter into my morning oatmeal on my other day to add some fats and help with the flavor. I hate egg whites so I throw them in the oatmeal to mask the flavor haha. Hoping to get a few different meals set up on the same basic foods at least for the next few weeks while I have to be in a hotel. Only thing I haven't added was a post workout shake consisting of a scoop of whey and about 2 spoons of honey but that's only on days I get into the gym.

Again any constructive criticism is welcomed

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Updated version

1/2 cup egg whites
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 Tbsp Peanut butter
1 Oz. Rasins

5 Oz Chicken
1 Cup Brown Rice
1 Oz Almonds

5 Oz Chicken
1 Medium Sweet potato
1 Cup Spinach

1 Can Tuna
2 Oz Cantaloupe

5 Oz Chicken
1 Cup Rice
1 Cup Spinach
1 Oz Almonds

That puts me around 2158cal with 58/188/223 with a percentage of 24/35/41 F/C/P. I'll start with alternating between the two and adding a spoonful of peanut butter into my morning oatmeal on my other day to add some fats and help with the flavor. I hate egg whites so I throw them in the oatmeal to mask the flavor haha. Hoping to get a few different meals set up on the same basic foods at least for the next few weeks while I have to be in a hotel. Only thing I haven't added was a post workout shake consisting of a scoop of whey and about 2 spoons of honey but that's only on days I get into the gym.

Again any constructive criticism is welcomed
add in potatoes (help with potassium or a banana) Drop the honey and shake post-workout just go and eat your next meal, you will have food overlapping from the pre-workout meal or intra-workout beverage (if you use one) and you could up the protein amounts in your other meals
try to hit up some grape fruit, blueberries or strawberries (great anti-oxidents/micronutrients)
maybe invest in some yogurt (Vitamin D, Dairy)

why dont you eat whole eggs or beef?

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
add in potatoes (help with potassium or a banana) Drop the honey and shake post-workout just go and eat your next meal, you will have food overlapping from the pre-workout meal or intra-workout beverage (if you use one) and you could up the protein amounts in your other meals
try to hit up some grape fruit, blueberries or strawberries (great anti-oxidents/micronutrients)
maybe invest in some yogurt (Vitamin D, Dairy)

why dont you eat whole eggs or beef?
Good suggestions and question at the end. My guess is he is under the impression that saturated fat=bad

ilia_p

Awards
Please educate me on the specifics on how fats in the morning changes the insulin response and high gi carbs are bad?

I do agree on the 20% fats
From the research I've read - it would appear that the idea that you need to continuously spike your insulin via high GI carbs is a fallacy. I do believe a lot of bodybuilders begin to develop hyperinsulinemia (again, not all). Your pancreas is like anything in the body - if you abuse it consistenly, it will begin to break down.

Some research even suggests that keeping yourself in a state of insulin sensitivity post-workout by ingesting fats and proteins rather than carbs can result in greater gains.

merph

merph

Awards
No not thinking Sat. fat is bad just easier to buy liquid egg whites where I'm in a hotel with a mini fridge and space is a commodity. As for beef it's a little pricy rate now for my budget hopefully I'll be back to work soon. I'll defiantly be woking at adding in dairy, beef, white potatoes, and more fruits. In a few more weeks I'll be back to being home and be able to have more variety in my diet. The only supps I have I forgot to mention because there daily no matter what is a mulit, fish-oil, and glucoseamine.

Solution I'd like to pick your brain you seem to have a real good handle on nutrition I just don't know the questions to ask yet. Going to work on more options including weekend foods that I can actually cook at home.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
From the research I've read - it would appear that the idea that you need to continuously spike your insulin via high GI carbs is a fallacy. I do believe a lot of bodybuilders begin to develop hyperinsulinemia (again, not all). Your pancreas is like anything in the body - if you abuse it consistenly, it will begin to break down.

Some research even suggests that keeping yourself in a state of insulin sensitivity post-workout by ingesting fats and proteins rather than carbs can result in greater gains.
So....in other words you believe bodybuilders develop hyperinsulinemia via eating? ......it's the drugs.

To be frank it doesn't matter. Carbs are glucose at the end of the day. Ice cream or oatmeal. If you're a perfectly normal person who follows this lifestyle you more than likely won't become diabetic,develop heart disease,cloged arteries ect.

This high gi carb stuff and insulin control is geared generally twords 2 kinds of people.

Bodybuilders who use insulin,growth hormone or igf1 and the like.
Or
Sedentary normal every day people.

Heres the deal...

Your body stores triglycerides,glucose and amino acids. Simply put if any of the essentials are missing it will find a way to get it. Gluconeogenisis. Becoming a favorite term of mine. It is the process your body uses to turn stored amino acids*from protein* into glucose.

Your fatty acids are effected via another mechanism. Still studying that.

Anywhos...heres something to sum it up.

Calorie deficit= weight loss
Calorie surplus = weight gain

Your body doesn't care. It prefers fat. Stimulate the repair process via weight training and it will continue to prefer fat thus retaining as much muscle mass as possible.

There are other variables as to what number your deficit should be or surplus to retain or grow the most muscle or lose the most fat.

Choosing high gi carbs vs low gi is not part of that process.

In closing..
Reduce calories by 100 or 200. Once weight loss stalls reduce another 100 or 200.

Once desired bodyfat increase calories slowly.
Implement refeeds that consist of 40 to 50 % of weekly deficit. Carbs or protein. Which ever you prefer.

Grats you got diet down.

merph

merph

Awards
Ok so I think I got it down to 3 different days that I'll just rotate between for now but if I'm missing anything please let me know

1/2 cup egg whites
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 Tbsp Peanut butter
1 Oz. Rasins

5 Oz Chicken
1 Cup Brown Rice
1 Oz Almonds

5 Oz Chicken
1 Medium Sweet potato
1 Cup Spinach

1 Can Tuna
2 Oz Cantaloupe