Diet

d_goucher

Awards
I'm trying to get my diet down. I'm 18 years old I have been working out since I was 14, but I just know started getting into meal prep and my diet. I need help on what to eat what to stay away from, calories, protein,carbs, and fats. I weigh 240 right now I'm wanting to get down to at least 210. I train 2-3 hours a day of weight training plus 30 minutes to 1 hr of slow steady cardio 5 or 6 days a week. If I take in many carbs I start packing on fat. I just need help on figuring out how often to eat, an what to eat to lose fat but not lose a lot of muscle mass. I've tried fasting and I can do it for a little while but it seems like my body gets deprived and I'm exhausted and I break down and consume a ton of food at one point. Any advice? Please help

ilia_p

Awards
4 hours of training 5 - 6 days a week is excessive for anyone. Less is more with exercise. Unless you're an elite athlete eating 10,000 calories a day like Michael Phelps or on the juice, I think you may be overdoing it there. Depending on how much you're currently eating, especially if you're in a caloric deficit, you may be placing a large amount of stress on your body which can result in hormonal changes, etc. that will actually make it HARDER for you to lose fat.

You could try a ketogenic diet (65% FAT, 30% PRO, 5% CHO) - this has been found to be effective in participants in reducing body mass without large amounts of lean mass losses.

Be prepared to lose some muscle if you're cutting. Nobody can get away with 100% retention. As long as you stick with 1g of protein per pound you'll be sure to retain a lot more muscle than if you weren't.

If you're the type of person who can't handle carbs - then a lower carb approach would definitely be for you.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
there is absolutely no need to be training that long. 2 hours of lifting at the most will be enough. are you counting calories?