Raw potato starch in your shakes?

sheepdog.tx

sheepdog.tx

Awards
Anyone else doing this, just started? Supposedly lowers GI spikes, fiber, all kinds of stuff. Anyone done it long term?

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
well people have been using all kinds of starches for awhile now.. waxy maize I think is corn starch for example.
just curious why not just eat whole potatoes with your meals if u desire the starch and fiber from a potatoe, is it a convenience thing?
if its about that check out iForces new mass gainer hitting the market late this month or early next month. its loaded with all kinds of good stuff to help get
fiber and nutrition.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Anyone else doing this, just started? Supposedly lowers GI spikes, fiber, all kinds of stuff. Anyone done it long term?
You can use glycomyx if looking for that starch

Raw potatos are loaded with resistant starch. That's why they lower gi and they may increase GLP-1

Potatos and beets are like my only carb sources

By coincidence not choice. Just more fun to eat.

If you want other fat burning starches a hydroxypropyl starch like carbonx could work

Or just add 9g guar gum to post workout carb powder
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0271531705801125

sheepdog.tx

sheepdog.tx

Awards
Basically potato starch is far higher resistant starch than others, including these mutant strains of corn maize. It wont let me link but google for "freetheanimal resistant fiber" for tons of good info on this.

Lots of reasons, almost universally accepted by the scientific community that resistant starch (raw potato starch being highest, far higher that waxy maize):

improved glucose regulation and better weight control,
reduced constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, and irritable bowel disease
reduced colon cancer risk,
and reduced blood cholesterol and triglycerides.

Studies show improvements with as little as 10g/day and as much as 50g/day. Over 60g/day, no additional benefits are noted, but not harmful. The most common dosage seems to be 30-40g/day.

Raw, unmodified potato (must not be pre-gelatinized!) provides nearly 8g RS2 per tablespoon.
Green Banana/Plantain Flour is also a great source of RS at about 6g per TBS.
Hi-Maize cornstarch seems to be a very good source as well at about 5g per TBS.
Common cornstarch contains about 2.5g per TBS.
White and Brown rice flour contains about 1.5g. per TBS.
Arrowroot starch is a poor source with less than 1g per TBS

More info:

These slides of graphical comparisons tell our story.

1. For tolerance of ketosis to RS/PS, the results are unequivocal. There is NO rise in BG when taking PS alone or with a ketogenic meal. Ketostix also confirm that ketosis is not disturbed.

2. For RS/PS blunting effect when taken together with hi-glycemic food, there is clearly a blunting effect for both Tim and myself, while you can see from my additional results that the degree of that effect depends on the immediate diet history and the long-term use of RS.

(It should be noted that I'm a healthy female in my mid-40‘s with no history of metabolic disease nor obesity and I respond very quickly to diet changes. Tim is a currently healthy male in his mid 40s with a history of significant metabolic issues that have been conquered for many years now. So between us, we span quite a range of backgrounds.)

The strongest blunting effect is under what may be considered ‘normal’ eating conditions for most people; that is, not in ketosis and not prolonged fasting or intermittent fasting. Under such normal conditions, there is only a very small rise in BG (~ 28 points) for me when eating a cooked potato after drinking 4 tablespoon of potato starch stirred in water. Various timings of the PS in combination of the potato were tried, details in graphs. You see no blunting while in actual ketosis, but various levels of blunting effect in other states.

It’s not a surprise to see different responses to fasting as they depend on the length of the fast and state of glycogen stores previously. Long-enough fasting and/or continual ketosis cause a normal physiological insulin resistance which is temporary and reversible, not to be confused with the pathological kind in metabolic syndrome or diabetes.

3. There is also an apparent ‘second meal effect’ or long-term effect from simply taking 4 tablespoons of RS every day, which improves the blunting in a ‘normal’ metabolic state. When LC, in ketosis, or fasting regularly, the blunting was less pronounced or, to state it the opposite way, RS/PS does not afford the same dramatic results. What that means metabolically over the long term is an open question.

So all around awesome reported results. in a shale so far it makes it more malt tasting, more full after, but lots-o-gas (as expected). Question was is anyone else doing this and has anyone else noticed anything. Was thinking this might help cutters with the insulin spike blunting effect and more fiber.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Basically potato starch is far higher resistant starch than others, including these mutant strains of corn maize. It wont let me link but google for "freetheanimal resistant fiber" for tons of good info on this.

Lots of reasons, almost universally accepted by the scientific community that resistant starch (raw potato starch being highest, far higher that waxy maize):

improved glucose regulation and better weight control,
reduced constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, and irritable bowel disease
reduced colon cancer risk,
and reduced blood cholesterol and triglycerides.

Studies show improvements with as little as 10g/day and as much as 50g/day. Over 60g/day, no additional benefits are noted, but not harmful. The most common dosage seems to be 30-40g/day.

Raw, unmodified potato (must not be pre-gelatinized!) provides nearly 8g RS2 per tablespoon.
Green Banana/Plantain Flour is also a great source of RS at about 6g per TBS.
Hi-Maize cornstarch seems to be a very good source as well at about 5g per TBS.
Common cornstarch contains about 2.5g per TBS.
White and Brown rice flour contains about 1.5g. per TBS.
Arrowroot starch is a poor source with less than 1g per TBS
More info:

These slides of graphical comparisons tell our story.

1. For tolerance of ketosis to RS/PS, the results are unequivocal. There is NO rise in BG when taking PS alone or with a ketogenic meal. Ketostix also confirm that ketosis is not disturbed.

2. For RS/PS blunting effect when taken together with hi-glycemic food, there is clearly a blunting effect for both Tim and myself, while you can see from my additional results that the degree of that effect depends on the immediate diet history and the long-term use of RS.

(It should be noted that I'm a healthy female in my mid-40‘s with no history of metabolic disease nor obesity and I respond very quickly to diet changes. Tim is a currently healthy male in his mid 40s with a history of significant metabolic issues that have been conquered for many years now. So between us, we span quite a range of backgrounds.)

The strongest blunting effect is under what may be considered ‘normal’ eating conditions for most people; that is, not in ketosis and not prolonged fasting or intermittent fasting. Under such normal conditions, there is only a very small rise in BG (~ 28 points) for me when eating a cooked potato after drinking 4 tablespoon of potato starch stirred in water. Various timings of the PS in combination of the potato were tried, details in graphs. You see no blunting while in actual ketosis, but various levels of blunting effect in other states.

It’s not a surprise to see different responses to fasting as they depend on the length of the fast and state of glycogen stores previously. Long-enough fasting and/or continual ketosis cause a normal physiological insulin resistance which is temporary and reversible, not to be confused with the pathological kind in metabolic syndrome or diabetes.

3. There is also an apparent ‘second meal effect’ or long-term effect from simply taking 4 tablespoons of RS every day, which improves the blunting in a ‘normal’ metabolic state. When LC, in ketosis, or fasting regularly, the blunting was less pronounced or, to state it the opposite way, RS/PS does not afford the same dramatic results. What that means metabolically over the long term is an open question.
So all around awesome reported results. in a shale so far it makes it more malt tasting, more full after, but lots-o-gas (as expected). Question was is anyone else doing this and has anyone else noticed anything. Was thinking this might help cutters with the insulin spike blunting effect and more fiber.
Here's a good read

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-3010.2005.00481.x/full

PuZo

Awards
  • Established
You can use glycomyx if looking for that starch

Raw potatos are loaded with resistant starch. That's why they lower gi and they may increase GLP-1

Potatos and beets are like my only carb sources

By coincidence not choice. Just more fun to eat.

If you want other fat burning starches a hydroxypropyl starch like carbonx could work

Or just add 9g guar gum to post workout carb powder
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0271531705801125
I got to try Glycomyx, it's pretty good. Can be hard to palate but it does the job perfectly.

sheepdog.tx

sheepdog.tx

Awards
I got to try Glycomyx, it's pretty good. Can be hard to palate but it does the job perfectly.
Not sure you understand. The raw potato starch doesn't turn to carbs, your body cant break it down. Most of it you poo out. Some turns to short chain fatty acids in the gut. Think of it like insoluble fiber with benefits.