Diet advise

Carcitybeast

Awards
So...I was on a ketogenic diet for about a year with great success. Lost about 30 lbs. That lost effectiveness and I plateaued at about 230. Took some time off and tried it again. gained about 5 lbs... Tried to go another direction with an intermittent fast with a feeding window of 2pm-9pm with only 1800 calories. I gained another 5 lbs over 2 weeks ....any suggestions on what I can do to get my metabolism back burning?

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Some background questions:

How many calories were you consuming when you were keto?

Did you have regularly scheduled refeeds when you were keto?

When coming from a keto diet to a diet with carbs it is normal to experience an initial weight gain in the begining. I wouldnt be concerned with a 5lb gain. How is your diet currently structured?

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Some background questions:

How many calories were you consuming when you were keto?

Did you have regularly scheduled refeeds when you were keto?

When coming from a keto diet to a diet with carbs it is normal to experience an initial weight gain in the begining. I wouldnt be concerned with a 5lb gain. How is your diet currently structured?
Also note carb diet vs keto is basically ths same. Fats,protein,and carbs all convert to blood sugar eventually. Only difference is you could probably eat like 100 or so more calories due to the thermo effect of protein if you believe in that stuff.

Carcitybeast

Awards
1800 month on keto...I did refeeds Saturday and sundays when it was successful. When it wasn't, I just did sundays.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
1800 month on keto...I did refeeds Saturday and sundays when it was successful. When it wasn't, I just did sundays.
How is your current diet structured?

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Fats cant convert to glucose
Read up on gluconeogenisis. Even in the absence of carbs your body will get glucose somehow. It shoots for protein. If not then it shoots for amino acids. Foods with high fat content or hell even straight olive oil has amino acids.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Read up on gluconeogenisis. Even in the absence of carbs your body will get glucose somehow.
I am quite familiar with gluconeogenesis. Humans can not convert fatty acids to glucose. See - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19117076/

It shoots for protein. If not then it shoots for amino acids.
The body doesnt store protein. It stores amino acids.

Foods with high fat content or hell even straight olive oil has amino acids.
Yes amino acids can be converted to glucose via gluconeogenesis. Fat can not.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you mean by percentage? 65% fat 30% protein 5% carbs
Are you currently keto again? Let me ask are you using a keto approach because you believe it to be more effective for weight loss? Or is it for a different reason like its easier to follow and adhere too? Etc?

Also 1800 kcal seems a little low for someone 230lbs. If you aren't opposed to adding carbs back into the diet this is what I would suggest along with raising your total caloric intake

Carcitybeast

Awards
Are you currently keto again? Let me ask are you using a keto approach because you believe it to be more effective for weight loss? Or is it for a different reason like its easier to follow and adhere too? Etc?

Also 1800 kcal seems a little low for someone 230lbs. If you aren't opposed to adding carbs back into the diet this is what I would suggest along with raising your total caloric intake
Haven't decided what would be the best way to go at this point. That's the purpose of this thread. I used keto because it seemed to work way better than anything else. I have controlled high blood pressure (newly diagnosed) and borderline diabetic so based on my research it seemed like the logical choice.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you feel keto dieting is a challenge to maintain? Do you find it easier than other dietary strategies? Or do you have no problem controlling pro/carb/fat intake?

It really comes down to what plan is easiest for you to follow. If keto is easy than stick with that but if you want to add some carbs back in and have no problems balancing all the macros then do that.

exrugger

Awards
I would just stick to the keto, I've been on keto in one form or another since April and I've hit two big plateaus that each lasted close to a month. Just stick to it and eventually the weight will start to fall off again. Alternatively up the carfio a bit and switch to CKD although I wouldnt recommended CKD for anyone over 14-15% bf as I noticed for me it works better at lower bf levels

exrugger

Awards
I would just stick to the keto, I've been on keto in one form or another since April and I've hit two big plateaus that each lasted close to a month. Just stick to it and eventually the weight will start to fall off again. Alternatively up the carfio a bit and switch to CKD although I wouldnt recommended CKD for anyone over 14-15% bf as I noticed for me it works better at lower bf levels
O ya, i estimate I lost about 50-60lbs of fat so far and down to 10.9% bf via caliper method. Started at 255 25+% bf, now 215 10.9%. I did take a short cycle of epi though otherwise I'm sure my weight would be lower (I definitely packed on new muscle).

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
O ya, i estimate I lost about 50-60lbs of fat so far and down to 10.9% bf via caliper method. Started at 255 25+% bf, now 215 10.9%. I did take a short cycle of epi though otherwise I'm sure my weight would be lower (I definitely packed on new muscle).
Wait what? How long was the epi cycle? Did you do a pct? How long did you wait after to diet again?

I believe anything under 20% and you're losing muscle and fat. May be just me. I know your body will prefer fat over muscle at obese levels.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Haven't decided what would be the best way to go at this point. That's the purpose of this thread. I used keto because it seemed to work way better than anything else. I have controlled high blood pressure (newly diagnosed) and borderline diabetic so based on my research it seemed like the logical choice.
In that case stick with keto man. Stock up on cheese,meat and oils :)

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
You're most likely gaining weight because you are starving I would say... 1800 is far too little. You may be able to continue losing fat and maintain muscle while taking epi because of the anabolic effect, but once that halts, you will most likely see fat gains imho

Carcitybeast

Awards
You're most likely gaining weight because you are starving I would say... 1800 is far too little. You may be able to continue losing fat and maintain muscle while taking epi because of the anabolic effect, but once that halts, you will most likely see fat gains imho

Not sure Id want to dabble into epi at this point in the game..

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not sure Id want to dabble into epi at this point in the game..
Try coming off the diet for 4 weeks and getting back on. Don't listen to that other guy. Epi is a STEROID. I don't believe that would help you at the current time with your training.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Try coming off the diet for 4 weeks and getting back on. Don't listen to that other guy. Epi is a STEROID. I don't believe that would help you at the current time with your training.
I was in no way, shape or form advising him to use epi, on the contrary. From what I understood, he was taking Epi prior, stopped and is now gaining weight. I am merely pointing out the fact that, if that was indeed the case, most likely the reason why he was losing fat and gaining some muscle while in such a deficit was due to this harsh steroid.

Either I completely misunderstood or I am just absolutely lost.

Deak007

Deak007

Awards
I like shelby starnes' carb cycling... very effective if set up properly...