• First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
New York to effectively ban McDonald’s | Tribune Herald

New York to effectively ban McDonald’s

September 24, 2013

If you’re looking to score a Big Mac in New York, you might be out of luck. New regulations proposed in New York would effectively ban McDonald’s from the city.

You may remember not long ago there was an attempt to ban certain sizes of sodas, but ultimately the ban was ruled unconstitutional. Now there is a new approach to safety measures in the Big Apple.

Citing the argument that the food from McDonald’s is just as dangerous if not worse for your health than many illegal drugs, officials are moving to place many of the items on the fast food restaurant’s menu on the prohibited substances list.

The new scheduling of what officials are calling dangerous substances which they claim lead to crime and death, effectively makes it illegal for McDonald’s to operate within the city unless they drastically revamp their menu.

City officials largely refused comment when asked about the effectiveness of such a ban, stating only that “if you peddle dangerous substances in this city, you will prosecuted. The freedom of people to be healthy trumps your right to sell a product.”

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is just silly and will most likely fail like the attempted limitations on soda sizes.

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
They have made zero mention of this on any of the conservative dominated NY radio airwaves. Highly doubt that this is legit.

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
They have made zero mention of this on any of the conservative dominated NY radio airwaves. Highly doubt that this is legit.
why did you feel the need to specify the stations as "conservative dominated"?

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Trans fats. Can we can trans fats first?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Id be suprised if this went ahead.

JD261985

Banned
Awards
I don't eat mcdonalds but making a cheeseburger out to be like an illegal drug that needs to be on the controlled substances list is ****ing retarded

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
I believe no self control is a bigger health risk.

That being said the general public doesn't really care if McDonald's is shut down because theres a wendys down the street....I do believe they should ban transfat because there are health risk on that end. Note I do approve of naturally occurring trans fat.

At the end of the day the consumer will be effected in the smallest way with both the transfat ban and this one. There's plenty of other burger places and I doubt anyone will take a real stand. They will be unhappy but will move on. The real hit will be on people who sell transfat goods. they will have to create new flavoring tactics. Which I believe will be a good thing

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Is it normal to have a loss of libido after a 6 week double quarter cycle?

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Definitely hard to believe that this will go through. Why not tax it like cigs and alcohol if anything? Crazy that there's no pushes to ban those as they are responsible for an obscene amount of deaths as well. Money talks i suppose.

D3platinum

D3platinum

Awards
The new scheduling of what officials are calling dangerous substances which they claim lead to crime and death, effectively makes it illegal for McDonald’s to operate within the city unless they drastically revamp their menu.
Rolls eyes*. With this high brow group of politicians I guess New Yawkas will know who to vote out.

bigflex0

bigflex0

Awards
It's cheap, it tastes good if your pallet is conditioned to this type of food, it is easy and quick. Until you can force the american mind set away from valuing cheap, quick, and easy there will always be fast food and plenty of people willing to eat it. In4 back alley black market BigMacs.