getting nutrition while on patrol

blaykeryan

blaykeryan

Awards
Ok just a quick question...if there's any police officers out there, I was just going to state as you guys know its tough to get your nutrition in every 3 hours or so, so i was just wanting to clarify that it doesn't matter when I eat, just as long as I hit my macros in the day right? I've brought dyamatize protein and some almonds and bananas to snack on until I can stop for a couple meals on shift...thanks

BigKrabbe

BigKrabbe

Awards
  • Established
Overall macros is the important thing. Sounds like you have some good snacks and food lined up. Planning/Preparation is half the battle, the other half is actually sticking to the diet. Best of luck.

bigbruiser739

bigbruiser739

Awards
  • Established
I read an article on Derek Poundstone, who is also an officer, He blends chicken and water before going into work and uses them throughout the day as quick meals. not my style, but just a thought.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ok just a quick question...if there's any police officers out there, I was just going to state as you guys know its tough to get your nutrition in every 3 hours or so, so i was just wanting to clarify that it doesn't matter when I eat, just as long as I hit my macros in the day right? I've brought dyamatize protein and some almonds and bananas to snack on until I can stop for a couple meals on shift...thanks
Do IF

2 meals a day separated by your shift. Aminos in between

blaykeryan

blaykeryan

Awards
Do IF

Blended chicken with water Idk if I could do that..ha.
Ya I've thought about IF on my shift, but I've never done it, always been a frequent eater..I may give it a try though, just as long as I get all my macros in those 2-3 meals...yes I'm taking bcaa

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Blended chicken with water Idk if I could do that..ha.
Ya I've thought about IF on my shift, but I've never done it, always been a frequent eater..I may give it a try though, just as long as I get all my macros in those 2-3 meals...yes I'm taking bcaa
Or 2 huge meals and graze on quest bar or meal replacement. Or bring one solid meal you don't need to refrigerate and eat that in between. I recommend you trying it on days your bit patrolling.

Still trying to figure out what I'm going to do come time for the academy if i get to that point

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Screw that every 3 hours. I just keep a small cooler with some tubaware leftovers when I know I'll be out a while. Just get in your calories when you can. Quest bars would be a good, quick, clean option.

blaykeryan

blaykeryan

Awards
Or 2 huge meals and graze on quest bar or meal replacement. Or bring one solid meal you don't need to refrigerate and eat that in between. I recommend you trying it on days your bit patrolling.

Still trying to figure out what I'm going to do come time for the academy if i get to that point
Yea I'm going to atleast bring 1 meal and a protein shake blended with strawberries oats and peanut butter..and some sort of protein bar...and eat one meal at a restaurant on my break...yea I go to cleet Jan 8...I've heard they feed you 3 meals so I'm going to bring a weight gainer and whey and a ton of protein bars...but you can go out in the evening so that's good...I just hope there is a gym there...if not I will have to train friday-Monday...I'm just ready to get it over with...but worse comes to worse it will have to be 16 weeks where my weight lifting won't be a priority

blaykeryan

blaykeryan

Awards
Screw that every 3 hours. I just keep a small cooler with some tubaware leftovers when I know I'll be out a while. Just get in your calories when you can. Quest bars would be a good, quick, clean option.
Yep I need to cook way in advance and store in Tupperware. ..it sucks because right now I'm in fto so I can't just run back to the station and heat up stuff when I want...tuna sandwiches may be my new bf ha

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yep I need to cook way in advance and store in Tupperware. ..it sucks because right now I'm in fto so I can't just run back to the station and heat up stuff when I want...tuna sandwiches may be my new bf ha
I'll eat anything cold. Just get a small bag cooler from Walmart of someplace, throw some ice packs in it and you'll be set man.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Do IF

This. I interned on patrols two summers ago..(hopefully will be hired by January) I did 4-midnight. So I lifted during the day, had a big big meal before patrol... Had like a shake or aminos during it around 8-9... Then after we finished I had another huge meal, stayed awake long enough to digest then hit the hay.

IF is the way to go for shift work.