Best way to calculate BF %?

dodo408

Awards
Whats the best way to calculate this? I've heard water displacement is the most accurate but thats kind of a pain in the ass to do. The Marine Corps uses the taping method where they measure your neck and waist and then use a formula to determine it but thats a joke. I've heard the calipers are good as well. any thoughts?

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Calipers arent bad if you use the same expert (Over 100 tests) who routinely does your BF measurements several times over a period of time. (Different people pull from different places very often) Bod Pod, and Hydrostatic weighing Water Displacement are very accurate but takes alot longer in time to set up and the appointment itself. Id say it depends on your location honestly and how serious you are about measuring it. If you just want to have a measurement to go off of for a month or so then a recheck calipers, if you are in a high population area that has a center close-by (20-30mins) then water displacement shouldn't be a hard find.

Wocheezy

Wocheezy

Awards
DEXA is most accurate but you're not gunna want to pay for that. Body pod is good, and usually reasonably priced. Hydrostatic weighing is indeed a pain... Not fun in my experience haha. Calipers are only as accurate as the tester is experienced.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
DEXA is most accurate but you're not gunna want to pay for that. Body pod is good, and usually reasonably priced. Hydrostatic weighing is indeed a pain... Not fun in my experience haha. Calipers are only as accurate as the tester is experienced.
Def forgot about that one, costly in most places but worth it if you want to know it all lol

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Def forgot about that one, costly in most places but worth it if you want to know it all lol

cedman1

cedman1

Awards
I will second the bod pod recommendation. I plan to use that method as I've know others that have chosen that measurement and they have mentioned that they would again. Also most places that offer will sometimes throw in or at least have a minimal charge for a follow-up measurement. The lowest prices I've heard are 5.00US at some colleges/universities that offer the service.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
you can get the cheap calipers and do the testing at home for free. shouldn't cost u more than 20-30 bucks and you can test every week. they will allow you to track your fatloss regaurdless of how accurate they are.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you can get the cheap calipers and do the testing at home for free. shouldn't cost u more than 20-30 bucks and you can test every week. they will allow you to track your fatloss regaurdless of how accurate they are.
That evil three letter store had them for 10 bucks.

emilymartin

emilymartin

Awards
Can the testing be done at home?

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
Dexa is only truly reliable method, albeit costly. Bod pod is ok but here in UK it's not that much cheaper than dexa, which is FAR superior. A dexa will give you a reading within a few 0.1% of accuracy!! Calipers are virtually useless as unless you have an EXPERT you'll get figures all over the place. If you're not millimetre accurate with your measuring points, you'll get wildly varied readings. I've seen guys post pictures online saying they got professionally measured with calipers at 13-14% and they're more like 20%!! It's ridiculous. Calipers in the right hands can give a good indication, but even then you'd have to pay for it.