Best way to calculate BF %?

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.1%

Best way to calculate BF %?

Whats the best way to calculate this? I've heard water displacement is the most accurate but thats kind of a pain in the ass to do. The Marine Corps uses the taping method where they measure your neck and waist and then use a formula to determine it but thats a joke. I've heard the calipers are good as well. any thoughts?

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  238 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.51%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

Calipers arent bad if you use the same expert (Over 100 tests) who routinely does your BF measurements several times over a period of time. (Different people pull from different places very often) Bod Pod, and Hydrostatic weighing Water Displacement are very accurate but takes alot longer in time to set up and the appointment itself. Id say it depends on your location honestly and how serious you are about measuring it. If you just want to have a measurement to go off of for a month or so then a recheck calipers, if you are in a high population area that has a center close-by (20-30mins) then water displacement shouldn't be a hard find.
    Bigger and Better Is all I KNOW!!!
    Current Log= http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/260003-operation-abomination-getting.html
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.29%

DEXA is most accurate but you're not gunna want to pay for that. Body pod is good, and usually reasonably priced. Hydrostatic weighing is indeed a pain... Not fun in my experience haha. Calipers are only as accurate as the tester is experienced.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  238 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.51%

Quote Originally Posted by Wocheezy View Post
    DEXA is most accurate but you're not gunna want to pay for that. Body pod is good, and usually reasonably priced. Hydrostatic weighing is indeed a pain... Not fun in my experience haha. Calipers are only as accurate as the tester is experienced.
    Def forgot about that one, costly in most places but worth it if you want to know it all lol
    Current Log= http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/260003-operation-abomination-getting.html
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  238 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.51%

Def forgot about that one, costly in most places but worth it if you want to know it all lol
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  189 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.38%

I will second the bod pod recommendation. I plan to use that method as I've know others that have chosen that measurement and they have mentioned that they would again. Also most places that offer will sometimes throw in or at least have a minimal charge for a follow-up measurement. The lowest prices I've heard are 5.00US at some colleges/universities that offer the service.
    CTD Labs Product Ambassador/Board Rep
    5% off CTD Labs products at NutraPlanet use code -
    CTDNP5
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.61%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

you can get the cheap calipers and do the testing at home for free. shouldn't cost u more than 20-30 bucks and you can test every week. they will allow you to track your fatloss regaurdless of how accurate they are.
    FINAFLEX forum rep
    visit our website at finaflex.com
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'1"  236 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.18%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by xR1pp3Rx View Post
    you can get the cheap calipers and do the testing at home for free. shouldn't cost u more than 20-30 bucks and you can test every week. they will allow you to track your fatloss regaurdless of how accurate they are.
    That evil three letter store had them for 10 bucks.

​" If you're looking for a work horse.......I'm no Clydesdale."
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'4"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.02%

Can the testing be done at home?
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.03%

Dexa scan
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  172 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.67%

Dexa is only truly reliable method, albeit costly. Bod pod is ok but here in UK it's not that much cheaper than dexa, which is FAR superior. A dexa will give you a reading within a few 0.1% of accuracy!! Calipers are virtually useless as unless you have an EXPERT you'll get figures all over the place. If you're not millimetre accurate with your measuring points, you'll get wildly varied readings. I've seen guys post pictures online saying they got professionally measured with calipers at 13-14% and they're more like 20%!! It's ridiculous. Calipers in the right hands can give a good indication, but even then you'd have to pay for it.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Best way to cycle methyl 1 test?
    By NPCNJ in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 09-08-2004, 11:36 PM
  2. What is the best way to increase appetite?
    By conversekidz in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-12-2004, 06:11 PM
  3. best way to use nordiol?
    By julius kelp in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-19-2003, 06:40 PM
  4. Best way to keep gains after a T1 pro cycle?
    By jminis in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-27-2003, 01:28 AM
  5. Opinions: Best way to train bi's..
    By LakeMountD in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-20-2003, 11:11 PM