Going below 8%bf

Qonix

Qonix

Awards
  • Established
So, I usually do 2 months bulking and 1 of cutting but I never get really shredded..
Let's say I get around 9% by dropping 400kcal of my mantainance, keep my protein at 0.85g/lbs (to 1g/lbs if I use ECA or Albuterol), fats at least 80g and fill the rest with carbs.

In the last cutting I introduced also 1 reefed/week (calories as mantainance and don't counting macros too much, just to give a shock to my body) and I found it very useful.

What advices do you guys have to get under 8%?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
So, I usually do 2 months bulking and 1 of cutting but I never get really shredded..
Let's say I get around 9% by dropping 400kcal of my mantainance, keep my protein at 0.85g/lbs (to 1g/lbs if I use ECA or Albuterol), fats at least 80g and fill the rest with carbs.

In the last cutting I introduced also 1 reefed/week (calories as mantainance and don't counting macros too much, just to give a shock to my body) and I found it very useful.

What advices do you guys have to get under 8%?
Exactly this
Make sure your training heavy
But you may need longer than 1 month to get a little leaner, Incorporate some forms of cardio (link below):

http://www.rxmuscle.com/2013-01-11-01-57-36/muscle-college/7694-muscle-college-3-12-13.html

This is a 1 hour listen, but will shock you regarding cardio and its benefits and how some forms are more catabolic than you think (long bouts of LISS)

Keep the refeeds those are essential, but make sure your counting calories this will aid you greatly. Seems like you have a good grasp on diet, what kind of training are you doing?

nwlinux

nwlinux

Awards
This ^^ is a longer listen, but well worth the insight. This article is what prompted me to join up a crossfit gym 3 days a week (think high intensity cardio for short periods of time). Let it run in the background while you work. *2

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
This ^^ is a longer listen, but well worth the insight. This article is what prompted me to join up a crossfit gym 3 days a week (think high intensity cardio for short periods of time). Let it run in the background while you work. *2
Crossfit is MUCH Longer than a 10 minute HIIT session.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
Also, (mostly for new peeps showing up to read this), refeed doesnt mean CHEAT. That is all :)

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Also, (mostly for new peeps showing up to read this), refeed doesnt mean CHEAT. That is all :)
Nothing wrong with cheat meals. They have their place, Some contest prep coaches utilize only cheat meals and their clients come in shredded and win shows (Dave Palumo and his clients anyone?)

Shelby Starnes has his clients take cheat meals, guess what that guy has a few procards to his name

Jason Theobald --> Cheat meals, and yes he has plenty of pro cards men and women to his name

Everyone skins the cat different.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nothing wrong with cheat meals. They have their place, Some contest prep coaches utilize only cheat meals and their clients come in shredded and win shows (Dave Palumo and his clients anyone?)

Shelby Starnes has his clients take cheat meals, guess what that guy has a few procards to his name

Jason Theobald --> Cheat meals, and yes he has plenty of pro cards men and women to his name

Everyone skins the cat different.
Important part is consistency.

No matter what you do be consistent and make subtle not drastic changes

Qonix

Qonix

Awards
  • Established
Exactly this
Make sure your training heavy
But you may need longer than 1 month to get a little leaner, Incorporate some forms of cardio (link below):

http://www.rxmuscle.com/2013-01-11-01-57-36/muscle-college/7694-muscle-college-3-12-13.html

This is a 1 hour listen, but will shock you regarding cardio and its benefits and how some forms are more catabolic than you think (long bouts of LISS)

Keep the refeeds those are essential, but make sure your counting calories this will aid you greatly. Seems like you have a good grasp on diet, what kind of training are you doing?
Why cardio? I mean.. Cardio is just for burning calories right? So I just need to eat less.. The point is.. is 400-500kcal deficit enough? Because I wouldn't burn muscle too lol

About training right now I'm bulking, but I usually change my routine. I like push/pull 4 day split or single muscle per 5 day split

About reefed/cheat. I usually do reefed so just hitting my maintenance calories. But yea sometimes I go for a cheat meal while cutting (so basically just going above the maintenance)

Right now I'm bulking and I should be around 11% (even if with caliper counting etc the result is 9.5%).. Last time I cut with abluterol I went around 9%, but I didn't really enjoyed it.. I think ECA is much powerful

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Reducing calories are last resort IMO.

You don't need a 500 deficit to lose weight man. Even 100 cal drop can cause weight reduction

Slow and consistent bro. Song be to eager to speed the process

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Reducing calories are last resort IMO.

You don't need a 500 deficit to lose weight man. Even 100 cal drop can cause weight reduction

Slow and consistent bro. Song be to eager to speed the process
Exactly
Faster drop in kcals = quicker to lose muscle, quicker to drop letpin levels and a faster way to crash metabolsim
SLOWER = BETTER
Its a maraton not a sprint.

Why cardio? I mean.. Cardio is just for burning calories right? So I just need to eat less.. The point is.. is 400-500kcal deficit enough? Because I wouldn't burn muscle too lol

About training right now I'm bulking, but I usually change my routine. I like push/pull 4 day split or single muscle per 5 day split

About reefed/cheat. I usually do reefed so just hitting my maintenance calories. But yea sometimes I go for a cheat meal while cutting (so basically just going above the maintenance)

Right now I'm bulking and I should be around 11% (even if with caliper counting etc the result is 9.5%).. Last time I cut with abluterol I went around 9%, but I didn't really enjoyed it.. I think ECA is much powerful
Before you even responded or quoted my post did you even bother to listen to the podcast?
No offense, if you even listened to half of the podcast you would see why some forms of cardio would be benficial, even in the offseason and while bulking...
Please listen.

Qonix

Qonix

Awards
  • Established
Exactly
Faster drop in kcals = quicker to lose muscle, quicker to drop letpin levels and a faster way to crash metabolsim
SLOWER = BETTER

Before you even responded or quoted my post did you even bother to listen to the podcast?
No offense, if you even listened to half of the podcast you would see why some forms of cardio would be benficial, even in the offseason and while bulking...
Please listen.
OFC I'll not drop 500kcal immediately it's a slow process..
Btw, don't have time to listen 1hour of talking srs

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Exactly
SLOWER = BETTER

Please listen.
aint nobody got time fo' dat

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I drop calories to about 250 below then taper down. Hit up Breezy's thread (a member here); his progress and cut speaks volumes.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer

You have time to post on a forum? LIsten to it while you browse your computer or do emails etc.
You can always do it in segments.

1 hour goes a long ways ot learning and understanding why its important, and the benefits behind it.
There is a law of dimishing returns on just dropping calories to get shredded, people have to use different ways and different forms of cardio to get to superior leanness.

Qonix

Qonix

Awards
  • Established
I drop calories to about 250 below then taper down. Hit up Breezy's thread (a member here); his progress and cut speaks volumes.
yea bu the point is.. except what I'm usually doing, is there anything else? idk why join under 8% is like a wall for me

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
You have time to post on a forum? LIsten to it while you browse your computer or do emails etc.
You can always do it in segments.

1 hour goes a long ways ot learning and understanding why its important, and the benefits behind it.
There is a law of dimishing returns on just dropping calories to get shredded, people have to use different ways and different forms of cardio to get to superior leanness.
I would usually agree, but snags didnt do any cardio and got shredded.

I do like HIIT year round though

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I would usually agree, but snags didnt do any cardio and got shredded.

I do like HIIT year round though
Some can get away with it. Most really cant, Genetics play a major role. (depending on how lean you truly want to get)

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Some can get away with it. Most really cant, Genetics play a major role. (depending on how lean you truly want to get)
Metabolic capacity plays a huge role in that. Dude is very heavily muscled. Eats a ton just to maintain. Any slight change will make him drop weight. And he does it slow. Meticulous.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
yea bu the point is.. except what I'm usually doing, is there anything else? idk why join under 8% is like a wall for me
I think the solution has you covered. I haven't listened to the podcast but its from Layne Norton, so you can assume it will be good (I've downloaded it).

Getting down to <8% is no easy feat. Refeeds and cardio will go a long way to helping you out.

Qonix

Qonix

Awards
  • Established
I think the solution has you covered. I haven't listened to the podcast but its from Layne Norton, so you can assume it will be good (I've downloaded it).

Getting down to <8% is no easy feat. Refeeds and cardio will go a long way to helping you out.
So basically just have to keep doing as I'm doing?

You said to give a look to a user's topic here can you link it? Thx

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Qonix

Qonix

Awards
  • Established
every how many days do you guys suggest raise or decrease the calorie (by 100) if no/slow(less than 0.5lbs/week) weight gaining/loss?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
every how many days do you guys suggest raise or decrease the calorie (by 100) if no/slow(less than 0.5lbs/week) weight gaining/loss?
There is a law of dimishing returns on just lowering calories, Hence why i suggested adding cardio.
You would also benefit from refeeds, but i have touched on those already.

If you want to just Lower calories and not change anything else, see what happens. You could strike gold, but you could find much better success with cardio and refeeds. Since they would raise leptin, hormones, and metaoblism to aid in better fat burning/fat loss.

My 2 cents.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
There is a law of dimishing returns on just lowering calories, Hence why i suggested adding cardio.

If you want to just Lower calories and not change anything else, see what happens. You could strike gold, but you could find much better success with cardio and refeeds. Since they would raise leptin, hormones, and metaoblism to aid in better fat burning/fat loss.

My 2 cents.
Agreed. Do this

Qonix

Qonix

Awards
  • Established

My 2 cents.
I got it but this doesn't answer my question

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I got it but this doesn't answer my question
Yes it does
You wanted advice on how to get below 8%
Implement Refeeds
Implement Cardio

Some people cannot get very very lean unless they do both.

Qonix

Qonix

Awards
  • Established
Yes it does
You wanted advice on how to get below 8%
Implement Refeeds
Implement Cardio

Some people cannot get very very lean unless they do both.
please read again the post you answered at..
"every how many days do you guys suggest raise or decrease the calorie (by 100) if no/slow(less than 0.5lbs/week) weight gaining/loss?"

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
please read again the post you answered at..
"every how many days do you guys suggest raise or decrease the calorie (by 100) if no/slow(less than 0.5lbs/week) weight gaining/loss?"

All you talk about is lowering calories and you negate all the information regarding refeeds and cardio
There is plenty of links and information for you to gather that has been posted.

Sometimes 100 kcals is not needed, sometimes 10 extra min of cardio gets the ball rolling
Sometimes keeping put on a stall and there is a decrease the following week via a Woosh
Sometimes a 50kcal drop is all that is needed

too individual to place X number everytime you need a drop. The body does not work that way.

Qonix

Qonix

Awards
  • Established
All you talk about is lowering calories and you negate all the information regarding refeeds and cardio
There is plenty of links and information for you to gather that has been posted.

Sometimes 100 kcals is not needed, sometimes 10 extra min of cardio gets the ball rolling
Sometimes keeping put on a stall and there is a decrease the following week via a Woosh
Sometimes a 50kcal drop is all that is needed

too individual to place X number everytime you need a drop. The body does not work that way.
this is more complete ;)