Looking for web resources on how to lower cholesterol

alexmittaluk

Awards
Hello guys,

I have been involved with cholesterol for the last 2 years and I have read a number of books but I guess
many of them just write regular things and there is nothing original or something that would give new angle when fighting cholesterol.
Can you suggest some blogs/websites that really offer something unique...

P.S. I am not looking for ALL blogs... just the ones that really invest time in writing about cholesterol and that provide valuable information

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
It isn't a blog or website, but a book.

Do yourself a big favor and buy a copy of the "New Eight Week Cholesterol Cure". It is a terrific read.

Niacin is your friend.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
are you looking for new things to try? you might have a look at iforces heart help and soon to be released cadence by nimbus.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Niacin is horrible; raises HDL but at the cost of so much else. If you are overweight, then LDL may be a problem, if you are not, then high cholesterol (210-220) is actually associated with a lower all cause mortality rate.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Niacin is horrible; raises HDL but at the cost of so much else. If you are overweight, then LDL may be a problem, if you are not, then high cholesterol (210-220) is actually associated with a lower all cause mortality rate.
Ihave had NO negative effects from niacin at all. None.

Niacin, both increases HDL and lowers LDL.

I am not trying to be contrary to your views, but the only frequently heard complaint I have heard about Niacin is the harmless flushing sensation.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
There isn't much you can do if its already high. Well there is, but it wont make it right as rain again. Can you go to a doctor? My dad's on Lipitor and it keeps his BP normal and lowered his cholesterol.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
There isn't much you can do if its already high. Well there is, but it wont make it right as rain again. Can you go to a doctor? My dad's on Lipitor and it keeps his BP normal and lowered his cholesterol.
From what I've read, statins have a lot of sife effects.

I have a family history of heart (and a few other) concerns, so I am trying to do what I can, however I can.

Niacin helps the body metabolize glucose from food to produce energy, and helps the body burn fats and proteins ingested in the diet. I understrand niacin plays a key role in the production of sex and adrenal hormones. According to the Mayo Clinic, niacin helps to raise HDL levels by 15 percent to 35 percent

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established

I have a family history of heart (and a few other) concerns, so I am trying to do what I can, however I can.

Niacin helps the body metabolize glucose from food to produce energy, and helps the body burn fats and proteins ingested in the diet. I understrand niacin plays a key role in the production of sex and adrenal hormones. According to the Mayo Clinic, niacin helps to raise HDL levels by 15 percent to 35 percent
True, almost everything has side effects. I assume you have high blood pressure though if you're worried about this, which can be pretty dangerous. I know you know that, but I was just forwarding my dad's experience to help you make an informed decision.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
True, almost everything has side effects. I assume you have high blood pressure though if you're worried about this, which can be pretty dangerous. I know you know that, but I was just forwarding my dad's experience to help you make an informed decision.
No, I appreciate your telling us about your Dad. My Dad used a statin as well.

Fortunately, my BP is really good. My C-reactive protein numbers are good as well. I am borderline high on triglycerides, but making changes to address that.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

There is also evidence that it stops lipolysis COLD. The data ius inconclusive but it seems like an unnessessary gamble given that Coconut oil has been shown to be just as beneficial.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
There is also evidence that it stops lipolysis COLD. The data ius inconclusive but it seems like an unnessessary gamble given that Coconut oil has been shown to be just as beneficial.
Thank you - I had not heard that.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Thank you - I had not heard that.
I've just been reading a bit about Niacin in the past and found some evidence for it and against it which makes making decisions hard. It does what it is intended for though; lowers LDL and raises HDL so that is perceived as being good.

I like to look at LDL from a particle focus which means that when Triglycerides are high (from being overweight or excessive carb feeding) , then LDL particles are small and dense, making them more susceptible to being oxidised and forming plaque on the arteries (atherosclerosis) but when trigs are low then LDL particles are large and 'fluffy' which can make them cardioprotective.

There is also evidence (world wide data analysis) that higher cholesterol (between 210-220) is shown to be correlated to a LOWER all cause mortality rate (which you can see here http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=430996).

Just some food for though.

-study for LDL particle size and trigs: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1420088
-particle size a better predictor than total cholesterol for heart disease: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19657464
-lowering carb intake reduces trigs and ldl-p: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16685042, http://jn.nutrition.org/content/136/2/384.long

Niacin does lower LDL-p which makes it good for this purpose, but some people report huge side affects to its use.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It does do that. But aids in the usage of glycogen for energy which is I believe the mechanism for how it does that.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I've just been reading a bit about Niacin in the past and found some evidence for it and against it which makes making decisions hard. It does what it is intended for though; lowers LDL and raises HDL so that is perceived as being good.

I like to look at LDL from a particle focus which means that when Triglycerides are high (from being overweight or excessive carb feeding) , then LDL particles are small and dense, making them more susceptible to being oxidised and forming plaque on the arteries (atherosclerosis) but when trigs are low then LDL particles are large and 'fluffy' which can make them cardioprotective.

There is also evidence (world wide data analysis) that higher cholesterol (between 210-220) is shown to be correlated to a LOWER all cause mortality rate (which you can see here http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=430996).

Just some food for though.

-study for LDL particle size and trigs: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1420088
-particle size a better predictor than total cholesterol for heart disease: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19657464
-lowering carb intake reduces trigs and ldl-p: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16685042, http://jn.nutrition.org/content/136/2/384.long

Niacin does lower LDL-p which makes it good for this purpose, but some people report huge side affects to its use.
Excellent information.

I'm still going to use Niacin, but I will do additional research.

Thanks very much.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Excellent information.

I'm still going to use Niacin, but I will do additional research.

Thanks very much.
Absolutely. I was just offering my 2 cents. :D

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
It does do that. But aids in the usage of glycogen for energy which is I believe the mechanism for how it does that.
Ah of course, that makes sense.

dkgreene88

dkgreene88

Awards
  • Established
iForce's Heart Help could help you in this matter!

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Wow - JJ - great find.

As I "understand it", most alternate day fasting is sort of (maybe) 600 calories on day one, normal calories on day two, 600 calories on day three, etc. Is that the idea (obviously, I do not really know what the heck I am talking about except parroting what I just read).

Is there a specific regimen or protocol you suggest?

laneanders

laneanders

Awards
Iforce Heart Help could be very beneficial if that is something you are looking in to trying. I know their is a lot of information already in this thread, but read up on it and give it a shot.

alexmittaluk

Awards
Thank you guys for your suggestions. Really long thread :)

alexmittaluk

Awards
Iforce Heart Help could be very beneficial if that is something you are looking in to trying. I know their is a lot of information already in this thread, but read up on it and give it a shot.
Yea I already spoke to another guy on this forum about iforce... he says that it should take about 30 days to see some results. I think that's reasonable