How I can lose weight? Please suggest any method

matthew22

Awards
I am try different ways to lose weight. But still unable to do this, I tried different exercise technique and also followed healthy diet plans. Instead of losing weight; I am gaining more weight on my tummy. Please help me.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
There a MANY different ways to go about it. What have you done so far?

The first thing starts with a solid diet. Healthy diet to some does not mean healthy to others. So what have you been eating?

You can loose plenty of weight with the right nutrition plan and no training at all, so dont worry about the different exercise techniques.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Caloric Deficit
Take it slow
Keep calories as high as possible
Add cardio in last
THE Very last step is add in supplements
Implement refeeds once a week
Diet, Diet, Diet

Burning the most amount of calories is NOT the goal of cutting.
The goal of cutting is a small caloric deficit over time (being patient)
Training in a circuit provides less benefit becaue you are expanding more glycogen where you are eseentialy not training heavy which is optimal while in a deficit to PRESERVE MUSCLE MASS. hence what you should be focusing on when trying to shed weight/fat is holding your muscle and not losing it.

What is the purpose of training and losing muscle to lose extra fat/muscle unless you are trying to get to extreme low levels of bodyfat for photo-shoots or bodybuilding shows.

Small Caloric deficit (keep kcals and carbs as high as possible throughout your diet)
ALWAYS train heavy, and lower volume as diet goes on and cardio increases (due to less calories to recover)
Monitor your energy/hunger levels as you continue to diet this will help you
Make sure you implement refeeds or cheat meals to help spike t3, leptin, or hormone levels when they drop from prolonged dieting.

[video=youtube;QHHzie6XRGk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHzie6XRGk[/video]

Exercise and Weight/Fat Loss: Part 1 | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
Exercise and Weight/Fat Loss: Part 2 | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

I highly suggest you read here regarding your diet:

The Fundamentals of Fat Loss Part 1 | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
The Fundamentals of Fat Loss Diets Part 2 | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

justmechillin

Get the bread, potatoes, and rice out of your diet first along with anything fried. Now get on a treadmill and start increasing distance a 1/4mi. a day, if you want faster results, then go to sleep hungry.... Alphamine will help also...

ChefJoey

ChefJoey

Awards
Get the bread, potatoes, and rice out of your diet first along with anything fried. Now get on a treadmill and start increasing distance a 1/4mi. a day, if you want faster results, then go to sleep hungry.... Alphamine will help also...
Sorry but this is just poor advice.

Tell me why he should cut all of these carbs out of his diet and go to bed hungry???

The Solution has provided significantly better advice.

Nic1

Awards
I am try different ways to lose weight. But still unable to do this, I tried different exercise technique and also followed healthy diet plans. Instead of losing weight; I am gaining more weight on my tummy. Please help me.
Eating "healthy" is irrelevant and everyone has different ideas about what's healthy. Don't think eating "healthy" will make you lose weight, as it won't.
If you're gaining fat you're eating too much. It's that simple as it's about kcal in vs kcal out.

I prefer calorie counting myself, then I can eat whatever I want as long (as I don't eat too much) and am able to control my weight perfectly.

JD261985

Banned
Awards
"ALWAYS train heavy"
Well, I can 100% agree w/ you on that quote...
Heavy as in the 1-5 rep range or heavy as in how hard you have to push the muscle to achieve a specific number of reps? Because believe me 1 set of 20 rep barbell squats to failure with high intensity and moderate TUT can overload a muscle quite well. Also there's an article on here that utilizes cardio to maintain and even build mass depending on your goals you should do a search OP. Wasn't posted too long ago

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Heavy should be relative to your 1RM in the same way the true definition of 'intensity' is.

5RM is more intense than 8RM, even if your 8th rep caused you to burst your spleen and gave you a nosebleed. :)

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
Potatoes are fine & u DON'T tell anybody to go straight to a fat burner...

justmechillin

Well, he would be done dieting in 2 weeks and tapering off, if he takes my advise. I guess we can ask him in 2 weeks whose advise he took and explain his results....... It sounds like he has already been struggling with his weight with no results other than gaining weight.... AND REread the title, he says “ANY method”, sounds like he is already fed up with the advise he has been getting......

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Heavy should be relative to your 1RM in the same way the true definition of 'intensity' is.

5RM is more intense than 8RM, even if your 8th rep caused you to burst your spleen and gave you a nosebleed. :)
Agree, you should be training at a 9RPE on all your heavy days, and rarly at a 10 unless you are really testing your limits. Training to hypertrophy or like a crossfit athlete is only going to deplete glycogen and cause more harm than good from what you dont have in a deficit.

caino

caino

Awards
Agree, you should be training at a 9RPE on all your heavy days, and rarly at a 10 unless you are really testing your limits. Training to hypertrophy or like a crossfit athlete is only going to deplete glycogen and cause more harm than good from what you dont have in a deficit.
I did this exact thing, went way to far in a deficit, crossfitted and looked like an aids victim, 2 years later, my endocrine system is destroyed and the relationship with my friends and food is poor, definetly paying the price,

If OP wants a quick safe kickstart lower ylur intensity, go something like a cyclical keto e.g minimal carbs 1:1 protein to fat ratio or .75:1 f:p for a couple weeks with a refeed, some like this approach, some dont, each to their own, just dont overdo the training, some will think this js worse advice then the other bloke above, some wont

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I did this exact thing, went way to far in a deficit, crossfitted and looked like an aids victim, 2 years later, my endocrine system is destroyed and the relationship with my friends and food is poor, definetly paying the price,

If OP wants a quick safe kickstart lower ylur intensity, go something like a cyclical keto e.g minimal carbs 1:1 protein to fat ratio or .75:1 f:p for a couple weeks with a refeed, some like this approach, some dont, each to their own, just dont overdo the training, some will think this js worse advice then the other bloke above, some wont
Meh... Keto is hit or miss, for some it works, for some having more carbs is better because they respond well to them. Its really individual based here. People will debate both sides of the story.

[video=youtube;KwJrSR09fAI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwJrSR09fAI[/video]

http://www.onestopmuscle.co.uk/index.php/onestopmuscle-talks-to-expert-nutritionist-alan-aragon/
http://alanaragon.com/carbs-fat-friends-after-all.html
http://www.alanaragonblog.com/
http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2013/03/13/2013-nsca-personal-trainers-conference-looking-back-at-my-debate-with-dr-jeff-volek/
http://fitnfly.com/learn-about-food/nutrition-facts
http://www.simplyshredded.com/nutrition-expert-alan-aragon-talks-with-simplyshredded-com.html[/QUOTE]

caino

caino

Awards
im with you there, for me its just to clear some excess water for a week or so, after that, nothing, if not anything i look more worse, and as you said its hit or miss, but it will help with his insulin sensitivity if done properly for a small period

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
im with you there, for me its just to clear some excess water for a week or so, after that, nothing, if not anything i look more worse, and as you said its hit or miss, but it will help with his insulin sensitivity if done properly for a small period
Yeah. whenever i go low carb or high fat my performance drops, my energy sucks, and i feel bloated. i feel much better on a higher carb diet (as what Layne, Dr Joe and others may reccomend) but again we all respond different, its about trial and error and what suits you! No one is the same!!

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
I'm a high carb'er myself

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
sounds like your a candidate for the duct tape diet.

just tear off a piece and stick over your mouf!

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
What about if you're consuming adequete carbs to refill glycogen stores even in a deficit?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
What about if you're consuming adequete carbs to refill glycogen stores even in a deficit?
Well "Adequate" is a subjective term especially in a deficit. How do we know if 100g is adequate, how do we know if 200 is adequate, some people need to take carbs down to 50g to lose, some can get shredded on 200g at the end of a contest prep
height
weight
training volume
training frequency
cardio
types of cardio
amount of NEAT outside of working out

These all play factor, regardless you will be in a deficit and you wont be giving enough calories for your body to really recover to its "Full Benefit" if you were at maintenance or above in a surplus, this is hard to dictate because there could be multiple scenarios and how the individual trains (Endurance athletes, cross fit, MMA, Bodybuilder etc)

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Well "Adequate" is a subjective term especially in a deficit. How do we know if 100g is adequate, how do we know if 200 is adequate, some people need to take carbs down to 50g to lose, some can get shredded on 200g at the end of a contest prep
height
weight
training volume
training frequency
cardio
types of cardio
amount of NEAT outside of working out

These all play factor, regardless you will be in a deficit and you wont be giving enough calories for your body to really recover to its "Full Benefit" if you were at maintenance or above in a surplus, this is hard to dictate because there could be multiple scenarios and how the individual trains (Endurance athletes, cross fit, MMA, Bodybuilder etc)
This doesn't make sense. What you are effectively stating is that HIIT and other intermittent forms of exercise are more harmful than good when in a calorie deficit (both use to large degrees Glucose provided by Glycogen) but this is misguided and incorrect. For one, carbs are not needed to prevent muscle breakdown. Insulin (whose presence can be stimulated without carbs) reduce protein degradation post workout and Leucine and Insulin can both also activate mTOR (thus stimulating protein synthesis).

Now, with that in mind, and also with this
The hormonal changes associated with a low carbohydrate diet include a reduction in the circulating levels of insulin along with increased levels of glucagon.
can you please explain why, and through what mechanism, Glycogen store depletion in a cut is bad for you?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Your question -->

"What about if you're consuming adequete carbs to refill glycogen stores even in a deficit?"

My response still stands

"Well "Adequate" is a subjective term especially in a deficit. How do we know if 100g is adequate, how do we know if 200 is adequate, some people need to take carbs down to 50g to lose, some can get shredded on 200g at the end of a contest prep
height
weight
training volume
training frequency
cardio
types of cardio
amount of NEAT outside of working out"

There is no true term of "Adeuqate" based off the individual, their metabolism, and the many other factors above. Some people who are 160 pounds could lose on 2500-3000 calories and get shredded, while some people 200 pounds would need to get down to 2000ish cals to get shredded. I have seen some clients of contest prep coaches who are eating loads into a show because their body can handle it while some cannot. So what is the amount of carbs that is "Adequate" again is uncertain.

Some will need 50g of carbs to lose weight (hence the topic of this thread) and some can get shredded off 200g of carbs and even to the end of their contest prep leading into peak week.

3dmj wrote a good article regarding this on contest prep diets:

http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/articles-common-contest-prep-mistakes.php

Another one from Perryman:

http://www.myosynthesis.com/articles/contest-preparation-naturals-part-1

Also a stance from Layne:

[video=youtube;qp0s1KI3hkA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp0s1KI3hkA[/video]

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Layne and Carbohydrate intake from your first question:

[video=youtube;4T05SZ5JcwA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T05SZ5JcwA[/video]

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
In the end there will always be the same arguments over macro ratio efficiency for cutting but remember everybody is unique. Try what seems the best fit for your lifestyle just track your calories and keep them under your TDEE. That will get you weight loss period. You may hit some plateaus along the way, remember to refeed occasionally. When results slow up even more add supplementation and/or cardio.

Know your goals and practice dedication to your plan. You will get there.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
In the end there will always be the same arguments over macro ratio efficiency for cutting but remember everybody is unique. Try what seems the best fit for your lifestyle just track your calories and keep them under your TDEE. That will get you weight loss period. You may hit some plateaus along the way, remember to refeed occasionally. When results slow up even more add supplementation and/or cardio.

Bingo. I myself cannot go on a lower carb diet or else i flatten out fast, some people thrive off lower carbs and a higher fat intake (which bloats me and gives me less performance, energy, endurance, and i get bloated very easy). When i first started out i tried carb cycling to see what worked best for my body (low/medium/high carbs) on the med/high carb days my energy was the best and my mood/performance in the gym was the best it has been. When they carbs dropped and fats raised i got bloated and struggled during workotus Regardless if i was bulking or cutting.

The fine tuning is required through the years as we are always learning our bodies, what works best diet and training wise. Training frequency wise (Depending on goal), cardio wise etc. Small changes go a long way when it comes to a contest prep and in the offseason to maximize your gains and also find what is optimal for you and your goals. Science is great to see what works for some in the lab, but the real life results will vary from client to client and individual to individual. People who try to copy what they read in magazines from diet plans and workout plans may not see the cookie cutter approach work for them and have to make changes to suit their body.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

I agree. However The Solution posted something as being fact (despite zero evidence) and implied that HIIT does more harm than good during calorie deficits. I call this irresponsible hence why I called it out; you should continue HIIT (with improves lipolysis) whilst in deficit or excess or maintenance.

Also, I avoid articles with zero referencing when they state things as fact. And these shouldn't be used to back a point.

I'm all for other people's opinions, but when you state something like that as factual, then provide factual evidence to back it up

:D

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Bingo. I myself cannot go on a lower carb diet or else i flatten out fast, some people thrive off lower carbs and a higher fat intake (which bloats me and gives me less performance, energy, endurance, and i get bloated very easy). When i first started out i tried carb cycling to see what worked best for my body (low/medium/high carbs) on the med/high carb days my energy was the best and my mood/performance in the gym was the best it has been. When they carbs dropped and fats raised i got bloated and struggled during workotus Regardless if i was bulking or cutting.

The fine tuning is required through the years as we are always learning our bodies, what works best diet and training wise. Training frequency wise (Depending on goal), cardio wise etc. Small changes go a long way when it comes to a contest prep and in the offseason to maximize your gains and also find what is optimal for you and your goals. Science is great to see what works for some in the lab, but the real life results will vary from client to client and individual to individual. People who try to copy what they read in magazines from diet plans and workout plans may not see the cookie cutter approach work for them and have to make changes to suit their body.
This. Arguing over what is best on behalf of someone else is pointless IMO, I tried a lot of diet plans before finally finding what is effective for me. Solutions articles he posts for everyone do have merit and I have found useful, what worked for me ended up being a combination of things I learned from them.

I personally eat 4 meals a day, healthy fats and protein in the first 2. All of my carbs I eat pre and post workout, in my final 2 meals. I feel better energy in my workouts, less lethargy and bloating through my days, and fat loss is optimal thanks to the t3 and leptin boost from my carbs at night, for which I thank the Solution :)

Currently the leanest I have ever been.

Find a plan and stick to it. 2-3 weeks minimum. And don't program hop, diet fads pop up every other day it seems claiming to illicit the best fat loss but once you have found what works for you don't go trying to fix something that isn't broken.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This may not work for everybody but I lost weight by eating heavier in the day time, then snacking for the rest of the day. I also move around a lot at my job and did a lot of cardio. Again, this will not work for everybody.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
This. Arguing over what is best on behalf of someone else is pointless IMO, I tried a lot of diet plans before finally finding what is effective for me. Solutions articles he posts for everyone do have merit and I have found useful, what worked for me ended up being a combination of things I learned from them.

I personally eat 4 meals a day, healthy fats and protein in the first 2. All of my carbs I eat pre and post workout, in my final 2 meals. I feel better energy in my workouts, less lethargy and bloating through my days, and fat loss is optimal thanks to the t3 and leptin boost from my carbs at night, for which I thank the Solution :)

Find a plan and stick to it. 2-3 weeks minimum. And don't program hop, diet fads pop up every other day it seems claiming to illicit the best fat loss but once you have found what works for you don't go trying to fix something that isn't broken.
Again, I agree. I wasn't saying that the articles aren't useful but just called out the fact that it was stated that HIIT (or glycogen depleting exercise) is harmful during a calorie deficit when most people rely on some form of HIIT during this period.

Hopefully that clears up my standpoint.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
healthy fats and protein in the first 2. All of my carbs I eat pre and post workout, in my final 2 meals. I feel better energy in my workouts, less lethargy and bloating through my days, and fat loss is optimal thanks to the t3 and leptin boost from my carbs at night, for which I thank the Solution :)

This is exactly what i do

Biorythm set up..

http://www.reactivetrainingsystems.com/vforums/content.php?108-The-Biorhythm-Diet

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Again, I agree. I wasn't saying that the articles aren't useful but just called out the fact that it was stated that HIIT (or glycogen depleting exercise) is harmful during a calorie deficit when most people rely on some form of HIIT during this period.

Hopefully that clears up my standpoint.
Sorry if I seemed like I was countering your post honestly you posted while I was typing lol it wasn't meant to be regarding your statement my bad I'm a slow typer when mobile. I love HIIT towards the end of my cuts, definitely preferable to LISS and I have not noticed any negative effects.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Sorry if I seemed like I was countering your post honestly you posted while I was typing lol it wasn't meant to be regarding your statement my bad I'm a slow typer when mobile. I love HIIT towards the end of my cuts, definitely preferable to LISS and I have not noticed any negative effects.
Its ok :D The Solution is definitely here to help and has a tonne of ideas that are easy to follow; I just had to add my .2 cents to that comment lol