Does heat denature protein??

chris9394

Awards
There are so many studies that contradict each other. I want to mix my java protein powder with my coffee but I don't want the heat to "denature" and render my protein useless. Please help!

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
maybe back in the day before they had good manufacturing processes.. but high quality proteins today like iForces are perfectly good when used for cooking or like you mentioned.. making lattes

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Actually it does but it is irrelevant. It cleaves the peptide bonds in the protein itself but its a biochemical reaction. The bonds are put back together once the , I'm assuming you mean meat , is cooled. Same goes for whey as well.

deuceswild72

Awards
  • Established
There are so many studies that contradict each other. I want to mix my java protein powder with my coffee but I don't want the heat to "denature" and render my protein useless. Please help!
what I do is put vanilla in my iced coffee. Not sure if you like iced coffee.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The better question is does it even matter if heat denatures protein.

Answer is it doesn't really matter. Obviously it can affect the nutritional properties in that sometimes there are small protein molecules that actually pass through the stomach and intestine not completely digested and can be absorbed in that state. Most proteins, especially those we consume just to have the amino acids, are affected 0% by whether they are denatured or not. It doesn't matter if a protein is folded properly in it's 3D shape or not to be digested - it'll eventually become an amino acid either way.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
people are always cooking and posting pictures of food made with our Protean

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
maybe back in the day before they had good manufacturing processes.. but high quality proteins today like iForces are perfectly good when used for cooking or like you mentioned.. making lattes
Seriously?
Stop pimping products in EVERY POSSIBLE thread.
Implying that iForce protein is not denatured by heat is just irresponsible.
iForce makes some good products, but they are not immune from the laws of physics. Heat denatures all proteins, but as has been mattered, that really doesn't matter.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
The better question is does it even matter if heat denatures protein.

Answer is it doesn't really matter. Obviously it can affect the nutritional properties in that sometimes there are small protein molecules that actually pass through the stomach and intestine not completely digested and can be absorbed in that state. Most proteins, especially those we consume just to have the amino acids, are affected 0% by whether they are denatured or not. It doesn't matter if a protein is folded properly in it's 3D shape or not to be digested - it'll eventually become an amino acid either way.
GF, is that you?