Does heat denature protein?? - AnabolicMinds.com

Does heat denature protein??

Does heat denature protein??

There are so many studies that contradict each other. I want to mix my java protein powder with my coffee but I don't want the heat to "denature" and render my protein useless. Please help!

Stats
    5'10"  222 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

maybe back in the day before they had good manufacturing processes.. but high quality proteins today like iForces are perfectly good when used for cooking or like you mentioned.. making lattes
    FINAFLEX forum rep
    visit our website at finaflex.com
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Actually it does but it is irrelevant. It cleaves the peptide bonds in the protein itself but its a biochemical reaction. The bonds are put back together once the , I'm assuming you mean meat , is cooled. Same goes for whey as well.
    •   

Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by chris9394 View Post
    There are so many studies that contradict each other. I want to mix my java protein powder with my coffee but I don't want the heat to "denature" and render my protein useless. Please help!
    what I do is put vanilla in my iced coffee. Not sure if you like iced coffee.
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

The better question is does it even matter if heat denatures protein.

Answer is it doesn't really matter. Obviously it can affect the nutritional properties in that sometimes there are small protein molecules that actually pass through the stomach and intestine not completely digested and can be absorbed in that state. Most proteins, especially those we consume just to have the amino acids, are affected 0% by whether they are denatured or not. It doesn't matter if a protein is folded properly in it's 3D shape or not to be digested - it'll eventually become an amino acid either way.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.

people are always cooking and posting pictures of food made with our Protean
    Stats
    6'3"  180 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by xR1pp3Rx View Post
    maybe back in the day before they had good manufacturing processes.. but high quality proteins today like iForces are perfectly good when used for cooking or like you mentioned.. making lattes
    Seriously?
    Stop pimping products in EVERY POSSIBLE thread.
    Implying that iForce protein is not denatured by heat is just irresponsible.
    iForce makes some good products, but they are not immune from the laws of physics. Heat denatures all proteins, but as has been mattered, that really doesn't matter.
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    The better question is does it even matter if heat denatures protein.

Answer is it doesn't really matter. Obviously it can affect the nutritional properties in that sometimes there are small protein molecules that actually pass through the stomach and intestine not completely digested and can be absorbed in that state. Most proteins, especially those we consume just to have the amino acids, are affected 0% by whether they are denatured or not. It doesn't matter if a protein is folded properly in it's 3D shape or not to be digested - it'll eventually become an amino acid either way.
    GF, is that you?
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable

Similar Forum Threads

1. Does heat destroy protein powders?
    By protoculture in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-13-2011, 05:33 AM
  2. Heat Shock Proteins the real deal?
    By capnsavem in forum Supplements
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 07-21-2009, 09:08 PM