Chipotle

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Is it really that healthy? Or is it all BS?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Depends on your definition of healthy. It's very high calorically, but the quality is also high.

broken bottle

broken bottle

Awards
Compared to the other big chain options hell yes it is!

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Depends on your definition of healthy. It's very high calorically, but the quality is also high.
For resistance training athletes. People trying to gain strength. Is the portion size the only bad thing about chipotle?

fame126

fame126

Awards
  • Established
i think as long as you don't pile on the sour cream and cheese you should be ok

Clemenza

Awards
  • Established
You can estimate the calories. Its actually very clean. My only beef with Chipotle and what hold me back is the sodium content. 1 burrito and my hands are swollen for days

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Only thing I hate about chipotle is the extra dollar and some change for guacamole!

Other than that, I eat it at least once every two weeks

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
I live next door to one, I eat it at least twice a week. It's tasty stuff

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Pretty solid lunch meal that holds ya over for hours and the calories are indeed high but if you enjoy larger lunches then its perfect. Awesome ratio of P/C/F in IMO

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
For resistance training athletes. People trying to gain strength. Is the portion size the only bad thing about chipotle?
Does it meet your calories?
Does it help meet protein/fat minimums for the day?
Are you getting adequate fiber?

Then its fine, be smart on what you get there, but should it be an everyday thing? Absolutely not, every now and then wont kill you.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Does it meet your calories?
Does it help meet protein/fat minimums for the day?
Are you getting adequate fiber?

Then its fine, be smart on what you get there, but should it be an everyday thing? Absolutely not, every now and then wont kill you.
The macros in chipotle are phenomenal my question was more about the quality. I know there is alot of sodium but are there any other knocks on it?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
The macros in chipotle are phenomenal my question was more about the quality. I know there is alot of sodium but are there any other knocks on it?
The reason there is a lot of sodium. Its imported and held on a line, which is full of preservatives to aid in shelf life. If you have ever studied Serv-Safe and how restaurants like that work there is a shelf life of the imported foods and their heat/hold time, Hence the amount of sodium.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The reason there is a lot of sodium. Its imported and held on a line, which is full of preservatives to aid in shelf life. If you have ever studied Serv-Safe and how restaurants like that work there is a shelf life of the imported foods and their heat/hold time, Hence the amount of sodium.
Imported?

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Imported?
Yeah, that's my question as well.

Our chipotle uses steak bought from farmers in the same city/county I live in. The same is true with just about all of their ingredients, or at least meats and produce items.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Yeah, that's my question as well.

Our chipotle uses steak bought from farmers in the same city/county I live in. The same is true with just about all of their ingredients, or at least meats and produce items.
Ok, its bought from the farms, but what do they add to it to preserve the shelf life.
That is what you dont see or understand behind the scenes :)

If you have ever worked in the food industry you would soon realize/find out.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
http://www.chipotle.com/en-us/menu/ingredients_statement/ingredients_statement.aspx
FYI

Preservatives, and sodium aside its still better than any other chain fast food, also they sell beer. Chipotle ftw.
This is how its cooked, but what is also added on the line to preserve the shelf life, or would you like to get chicken that is sitting on a line for 3-4 + hours long and then serving it?
You wonder how its kept warm and stable with added things put into the containers to help the shelf life.

Sure you can get the ingredient profile for something before its cooked or how its cooked, but what is also added onto the line.

AGAIN.. please.. Read a Serv Safe Book on food saftey, food handling and other aspects of the food industry. You will really see an eye opening experience.

I have worked in the food industry for almost 10 years. I have seen the ins and outs of mostly all restaurants.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
its kinda funney to think about all the **** that saturates our diets.. this is kinda like the organic farming stuff or the difference between free range cattle and what, "closed range cattle"

I recommend you just watch the calories and enjoy life as fully as possible with out making yourself fat.

infraredline

Awards
It's food quality is very high. Just don't put on sour creme, cheese, or the sauce.

The only bad part is the ridiculously high sodium

broken bottle

broken bottle

Awards
This is how its cooked, but what is also added on the line to preserve the shelf life, or would you like to get chicken that is sitting on a line for 3-4 + hours long and then serving it?
You wonder how its kept warm and stable with added things put into the containers to help the shelf life.

Sure you can get the ingredient profile for something before its cooked or how its cooked, but what is also added onto the line.

AGAIN.. please.. Read a Serv Safe Book on food saftey, food handling and other aspects of the food industry. You will really see an eye opening experience.

I have worked in the food industry for almost 10 years. I have seen the ins and outs of mostly all restaurants.
You are arguing against a point that NOBODY is making. (Well talking about sodium content or whatever I guess)

"but what is also added on the line to preserve the shelf life, or would you like to get chicken that is sitting on a line for 3-4 + hours long and then serving it?"

Don't care.

" Sure you can get the ingredient profile for something before its cooked or how its cooked, but what is also added onto the line."

You act like its poison.

"AGAIN.. please.. Read a Serv Safe Book on food saftey, food handling and other aspects of the food industry. You will really see an eye opening experience."

Don't need too. I never go out to eat, too expensive for crappy portions, macros, and experience.

Chill out dude, you eat poptarts and cereal, and dairy queen blizzards.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
You are arguing against a point that NOBODY is making. (Well talking about sodium content or whatever I guess)

"but what is also added on the line to preserve the shelf life, or would you like to get chicken that is sitting on a line for 3-4 + hours long and then serving it?"

Don't care.

" Sure you can get the ingredient profile for something before its cooked or how its cooked, but what is also added onto the line."

You act like its poison.

"AGAIN.. please.. Read a Serv Safe Book on food saftey, food handling and other aspects of the food industry. You will really see an eye opening experience."

Don't need too. I never go out to eat, too expensive for crappy portions, macros, and experience.

Chill out dude, you eat poptarts and cereal, and dairy queen blizzards.
Oh wow. a blizzard one time a week really killed anyone (moderation anyone??)
Last time i had a poptart was about 6 months ago Good try tho bro

Someone mad.

You don't care what people put in your food or how they prepare your food is exactly what the OP asked in his question regarding food quality of a fast food restaurant. You should know what you are getting instead of guessing what you are getting. There is more to the story than people think

All i was pointing out to those who think its a lot easier or a lot simpler than it truly is.

Maybe take a step back and realize the internet is NOT serious business brah

broken bottle

broken bottle

Awards
YOU are spouting off about how terrible chipotle is because of secret preservatives they aren't disclosing in their raw ingredients.
YOU are telling me to read books.
YOU are citing your 10 years experience in the food service industry to prove your point.

Srs business?
Let me state again.
Chipotle is better than probably every other fast food and they sell beer. If you want to pick this apart any more be my guest. That was all I said.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well...it's not better than Qdoba. :D

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
YOU are spouting off about how terrible chipotle is because of secret preservatives they aren't disclosing in their raw ingredients.
YOU are telling me to read books.
YOU are citing your 10 years experience in the food service industry to prove your point.

Srs business?
Let me state again.
Chipotle is better than probably every other fast food and they sell beer. If you want to pick this apart any more be my guest. That was all I said.
http://www.health.com/health/article/0,,20411588_4,00.html

Ranked #6 :)

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
McDonald's is ranked #8. Really?

For purposes of people on AM, I'd have to put Chipotle/Qdoba top 3. It's essentially what most of us eat at home (sodium aside); meat, beans and/or rice, veggies, avocado, salsa.

Outside of a cheat/shytload or straight up emergency in which you eat the chicken & toss the bun, I can't say McD's serves our purposes well. Certainly one can find more than 7 better options in most areas.

Never tried Noodles & Co, even though I drive by them on the daily. Might hit one up tomorrow.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
McDonald's is ranked #8. Really?

For purposes of people on AM, I'd have to put Chipotle/Qdoba top 3. It's essentially what most of us eat at home (sodium aside); meat, beans and/or rice, veggies, avocado, salsa.

Outside of a cheat/shytload or straight up emergency in which you eat the chicken & toss the bun, I can't say McD's serves our purposes well. Certainly one can find more than 7 better options in most areas.

Never tried Noodles & Co, even though I drive by them on the daily. Might hit one up tomorrow.
What so bad about sodium? Sodium is a good thing, it should never be totally dropped in ones diet.. it has a very important role in the body:

Your sodium balance affects both fluid and blood volume. Why does that matter? Well, aren't we after a harder and tighter look that depends on both fluid and blood volume? Like the water ratio we mentioned above, the body holds on to its normal range of sodium very strictly.

Your kidneys will either increase or decrease their sodium output depending on your intake. A Harvard study done by Rogacz showed what happens when sodium is restricted over the course of six days.(2) For those who always scream that research studies don't apply to bodybuilders, six days is the typical amount of time that athletes manipulate their intake for a contest or event.

In the Rogacz study, sodium intake was eliminated, but the sodium in the subject's blood stayed the same. By the sixth day, the body had nearly stopped getting rid of sodium. What does this mean? All the sodium manipulations that you did the previous week did nothing! All it did was raise the hormone aldosterone, which causes increased water retention and re-absorption of sodium."

"In the body’s natural state we actually hold MORE water inside our cells than outside our cells (subcutaneous water). It is when you screw with things that you start getting problems. People seem to have the notion that cutting water and sodium will allow them to shed all their subcutaneous water. There are a few problems with this:

1) You won't just lose water from the subcutaneous area, you will also lose it out of the muscle tissue, and you will most likely lose MORE from the muscle than from the subcutaneous layer as the body will attempt to maintain the water balance between the inside & outside of the cell.

2) You will flatten yourself out big time. The only reason a carb load works is because the increased glycogen causes your cells to store more water. All you have really done is flatten yourself out, you haven't changed the ratio of intracellular/extracellular water at all.
I know what you are thinking "but Layne, at my last show a judge said I needed to be drier" or "everyone tells me I just need to lose the water." Well I'm not here to make you feel better about yourself; I'm here to help you do better at your next show. And the truth is that people are telling you that you are 'holding water' because they don't want to hurt your feelings. The fact of the matter is that you weren't 'holding water' you just weren't lean enough.

Look at some of the people that I and Dr. Joe Klemczewski have worked with like Ben Goins, Steve Sims, Joe Franco, Dave Goodin, Kent Julius, John Harris, etc. They are 'drier' than 99.99% of people who compete ever will be. No water manipulation, very little sodium manipulation. How can they look so dry when they haven't changed a thing from their normal diet? What is their secret. Well read very closely because I'm only going to tell you the secret once.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What so bad about sodium? Sodium is a good thing, it should never be totally dropped in ones diet.. it has a very important role in the body:

Your sodium balance affects both fluid and blood volume. Why does that matter? Well, aren't we after a harder and tighter look that depends on both fluid and blood volume? Like the water ratio we mentioned above, the body holds on to its normal range of sodium very strictly.

Your kidneys will either increase or decrease their sodium output depending on your intake. A Harvard study done by Rogacz showed what happens when sodium is restricted over the course of six days.(2) For those who always scream that research studies don't apply to bodybuilders, six days is the typical amount of time that athletes manipulate their intake for a contest or event.

In the Rogacz study, sodium intake was eliminated, but the sodium in the subject's blood stayed the same. By the sixth day, the body had nearly stopped getting rid of sodium. What does this mean? All the sodium manipulations that you did the previous week did nothing! All it did was raise the hormone aldosterone, which causes increased water retention and re-absorption of sodium."

"In the body’s natural state we actually hold MORE water inside our cells than outside our cells (subcutaneous water). It is when you screw with things that you start getting problems. People seem to have the notion that cutting water and sodium will allow them to shed all their subcutaneous water. There are a few problems with this:

1) You won't just lose water from the subcutaneous area, you will also lose it out of the muscle tissue, and you will most likely lose MORE from the muscle than from the subcutaneous layer as the body will attempt to maintain the water balance between the inside & outside of the cell.

2) You will flatten yourself out big time. The only reason a carb load works is because the increased glycogen causes your cells to store more water. All you have really done is flatten yourself out, you haven't changed the ratio of intracellular/extracellular water at all.
I know what you are thinking "but Layne, at my last show a judge said I needed to be drier" or "everyone tells me I just need to lose the water." Well I'm not here to make you feel better about yourself; I'm here to help you do better at your next show. And the truth is that people are telling you that you are 'holding water' because they don't want to hurt your feelings. The fact of the matter is that you weren't 'holding water' you just weren't lean enough.

Look at some of the people that I and Dr. Joe Klemczewski have worked with like Ben Goins, Steve Sims, Joe Franco, Dave Goodin, Kent Julius, John Harris, etc. They are 'drier' than 99.99% of people who compete ever will be. No water manipulation, very little sodium manipulation. How can they look so dry when they haven't changed a thing from their normal diet? What is their secret. Well read very closely because I'm only going to tell you the secret once.
Dude...you're responding to people in this very thread about the sodium content at Chipotle.

My comment "(sodium aside)" was to dismiss the posts ABOUT SODIUM and address simple value of nutritional content.

You're quite knowledgeable, but sometimes I think you post just to be sure people know you're posting. This post is a perfect example.

Layne Norton & Alan Aragon should be paying you by the copy/paste.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Dude...you're responding to people in this very thread about the sodium content at Chipotle.

My comment "(sodium aside)" was to dismiss the posts ABOUT SODIUM and address simple value of nutritional content.
Thats not real clear, 99% of people think sodium is the damn devil. (and why they are scared of hell to actually use it) I could not tell if that was the case.

Awards
  • Established
CHIPOTLE: 10/10 for a faster food option

Great quality ingredients- mostly all organic

Plenty of healthy and unhealthy options... you pick what goes in it... so choose based on your goals. I usually go without the beans, cheese, and sour cream... CAN'T skip the guac, though!

Great thread.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
If you want to save a few calories/carbs while eating at Chipotle get a bowl insteal of a burrito and save 300 calories.

bigflex0

bigflex0

Awards
In a pinch I think they are great. I personally like a meal of beans, rice, and meat. I am not sure what region everyone is from but by me we have this great gas station chain called Kwik Trip. I can go in there grab an individual cup of cottage cheese or greek yogurt, two peeled hard boiled eggs and coffee/milk/water and they always have apples, bananas and veggie platters. Not too bad for a gas station!