Advice needed!

roybalt

Awards
Hey guys, not really one to bulk or cut, just like eating right and getting the best lean physique I can...
Currently 5'11", 195lbs', 15% bf. Like I said, don't feel like bulking or dropping weight, just looking to get bigger and stronger
Just looking for few opinions about my daily diet and training routine...

8am - protein shake, 3 whole eggs, 3 egg whites, 1 cup dry oats w/1% milk, ON opti-men multivitamin, 2 1000mg flaxseed softgels.

10:30am - 8oz fresh tuna (recent fishing trip), 1 cup broccoli, handful of almonds/soy nuts/cashews.

12:00pm - train : Mon - heavy day shoulder, heavy day bi's and tri's, light day traps. Tues - 20 mins of sprints, heavy abs. Wed - heavy legs. Thurs - heavy back, heavy traps, light abs. Fri - heavy chest, light shoulders. Sat - 20 mins of sprints, all around core training. Sun - relaxxx!

(With a pre workout shake consisting of a pre workout called Muscle Marinade as well as Con-Crete creatine - all workouts ranging from 1-1.5 hours, sipping Xtend throughout - followed by an immediate shake consisting of 40g of ON whey protein, 60g dextrose, 3g beta-alaline).

2/2:30pm - 8 oz chicken breast, 1 cup brown or wild rice, multivitamin, 2 1000mg flaxseed softgels.

5:00pm - 8 oz chicken breast/tilapia/tuna/turkey/lean ground beef, 1 cup broccoli.

8:00pm - 8oz salmon/egg whites/lean ground beef/top sirloin steak (once a week), 1 cup canned green beans or carrots, multivitamin.

10:30 - 30g casein protein shake w/5g glutamine, 2 1000 mg flaxseed softgels.

Whatcha guys think? Any tips or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
By not knowing anything about you I will say a few things.

Casein shake I would opt for whole food when you run out of casein. In fact at any point in time you can, I would opt for whole food. Your protein shake first thing in the morning would be better off adding in some food too. Same with preWO. The only time that I use a protein shake is postWO and that is Isotean. Otherwise only when I am in a pinch and cant get a whole food meal in I will go with Protean.

But like I said without knowing your stats I cant give much more info on F/C/P content.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
By not knowing anything about you I will say a few things.

Casein shake I would opt for whole food when you run out of casein. In fact at any point in time you can, I would opt for whole food. Your protein shake first thing in the morning would be better off adding in some food too. Same with preWO. The only time that I use a protein shake is postWO and that is Isotean. Otherwise only when I am in a pinch and cant get a whole food meal in I will go with Protean.

But like I said without knowing your stats I cant give much more info on F/C/P content.
Casein is also a marketing scam, its not necessary. Eating Steak, Chicken, Eggs etc. its just meant to hit your protein intake, whey is a supplement to help reach your protein intake casein wont make anything different as long as your hitting protein minimum's

If you dont want to lose weight, but get leaner/stronger your really in a bind because your trying to do too much
Pick a goal and do it
Gain size/strength --> Caloric Surplus
Lose weight/fat ---> Caloric deficit

You will probably spin your wheels trying to do both.

I really dont see the need for 7 meals a day either, less meals have been shown via research to be greater for muscle protein synthesis because protein levels reach their refractory stages before being overlapped and spiked again, plus it allows for greater satiety .

http://www.biolayne.com/wp-content/uploads/Norton-J-Ag-Food-Ind-Hi-Tech-2008.pdf
http://www.leangains.com/2011/04/critique-of-issn-position-stand-on-meal.html
http://www.machinemuscle.com/interview-with-nutrition-expert-alan-aragon/
http://www.clutchfitness.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12920
http://www.alanaragon.com/an-objective-look-at-intermittent-fasting.html

Touey

Touey

Awards
Chef Bob a question you think there is no advantage to Whey/Casein blend over Whey?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Chef Bob a question you think there is no advantage to Whey/Casein blend over Whey?
So minimal it wont make much of a difference in the long run. Meeting your protein intake in the given 24 hour period/day is the key focus. A whey is used to SUPPLEMENT what you dont get from whole food
thast like saying should you eat yogurt over a chicken breast to help get your intake? Or beef over chicken?
Think about that.

Sure a whey casein may be superior, but to a small amount where whole foods are much more important and protein intake in the 24 hour period reign supreme.

dkgreene88

dkgreene88

Awards
  • Established
I take Isotean postworkout and I have been having some good results! You definitely want to meet your protein requirements!