IF and PM workout.

  1. Elite Member
    Driven2lift's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Age
    25
    Posts
    6,205
    Rep Power
    7236350
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    65.04%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting Pro

    IF and PM workout.


    I've been killing myself trying to eat 5 meals a day on top of my work. I need to try something else, not a fan of the idea of IF but the convenience is what I need badly.

    Problem is I'm not home until almost 7 to workout, finishing it up around 8. this gives me between 8 and 10:30 to do my postworkout and eat, and then I will be eating heavy right before bed.

    Would the whole point be negated if I had breakfast? 1 meal at 8 am the other at 8 pm. or should I cram it all in between 8 and 10:30?

    I am at work from 8-6 or later 6 days a week. I chug my Preworkout on my drive from work and should be fasted for this.

    I would live to hear some suggestions I'm pretty confused trying to figure this out
    Athletix Representative
    Orbit Nutrition Representative;
    Use the code SOCIAL for 10% off your order at Orbit!

  2. Senior Member
    OrganicShadow's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  162 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,973
    Rep Power
    251879
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    37.72%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    A little background:
    It all started one day on the bus to work RAVENOUSLY hungry. But I don't understand; how can I be this hungry after a 700cal breakfast?
    "Oh, you're metabolism must be sky high." Yeah, right.
    So I googled it and was taken to LeanGains. This was about the same time I started to question the absolute necessity of "6 meals a day." I'm very interested in dietary intake as it pertains to the endocrine system so when I read a blog post (with references) about post awakening cortisol and its interact with insulin i started listening with intent to learn. Was 6 meals absolutely necessary? All those friends that say "Ahhh I gotta hit a meall or else.." What You'll implode? What happens if I do skip a meal each day?

    Working in a lab, one cant exactly bust out tupperware and any given time and stepping out for 10min 3x a day doesnt look good. My schedule has flex on when I start and take lunch. If I'm used to a meal at 1130 but have to wait till 1, thats gonna suck. First I followed LeanGains, then I tried to maintain Warrior Diet but the window is too small and too close to sleep. Now I have about a 6/18 feed/fast with a shake pre and 2 whole food meals posr. Eventually I decided I dont want to bother about food at work and would rather have a big, hearty satisfying dinner in relaxation. I did this off season and my initial cut for a Nov show. Strength stayed high as dieted down. My coach thinks I'm insane but I didn't start losing some size for my show until he put me back on 6 meal plan. I also save a good amount of money on food.

    I competed with a surgeon one time. he did something similar: two big meals - one in the AM and one PM. He was in surgery 10-12hrs a day. Sergio Oliva had periods of dieting this way as well. You can do a 12 hour fast but won't reap the full benefits. At 15-16 hours all the immune system, GI cleansing, cognitive, and endocrine functions start reaching higher levels and peak off after 30hrs.
    By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired.
    Franz Kafka
  3. Senior Member
    OrganicShadow's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  162 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,973
    Rep Power
    251879
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    37.72%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    The whole point of negating breakfast starts with your sleep. We are advised not to eat too close to bedtime, and this is true. Reason being is that IGF and GH will not be secreted into the bloodstream in the presence of insulin. So its important it have your last meal 1-2hrs prior to bed. Blood glucose is primarily controlled by insulin and glucagon (others being cortisol, epinephine, norepinephrine..etc) Insulin is the only hormone in the body that signals to store blood glucose into tissue; all the others tell the body to release glucose into the bloodstream. So while GH and other hormones go to work on repair and recovery they have adequate energy stores circulating in the bloodstream.

    Therefore, by skipping breakfast you ultimately prolong that process of high GH and glucagon. The whole point between smaller meals and low GI carbs is to keep insulin low through the day. Well what better way than fasting?

    Insulin = store glucose, lower blood glucose, halt energu burning
    Glucagon = release glucose, increase blood sugar, use stored energy
    By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired.
    Franz Kafka
    •   
       

  4. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    Spaniard's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  186 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7,444
    Rep Power
    6601281
    Level
    95
    Lv. Percent
    99.05%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting Pro

    Just get your calories and macros in try not to focus on when too much. If it all happens to be one big meal one day and 2-3 the next so be it. You may get some digestion issues if you bounce back and forth too often so try to stay somewhat routine.

    From a data standpoint the last study I read about, I think coop also discussed in another thread saying that 2-3 meals a day was optimal. To quote him he said "mom had it right" in terms of three meals a day
    Anabolic[Minds.com Site Rep
    Olympus Labs DemiGod
    accounts@olympus-labs.com
  5. Elite Member
    Driven2lift's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Age
    25
    Posts
    6,205
    Rep Power
    7236350
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    65.04%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting Pro

    How do you IF followers handle supplement dosing that is supposed to be with meals and split over the day?

    Or with meals and 2 supplements that conflict if taken around the same time.

    For example omegas and ARA, or a supplement that is to be taken with breakfast, lunch, dinner
    Athletix Representative
    Orbit Nutrition Representative;
    Use the code SOCIAL for 10% off your order at Orbit!
  6. Enhanced Body Formulations
    EBF Inc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,773
    Rep Power
    1704913
    Level
    68
    Lv. Percent
    13.61%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Driven2lift View Post
    I've been killing myself trying to eat 5 meals a day on top of my work. I need to try something else, not a fan of the idea of IF but the convenience is what I need badly.

    Problem is I'm not home until almost 7 to workout, finishing it up around 8. this gives me between 8 and 10:30 to do my postworkout and eat, and then I will be eating heavy right before bed.

    Would the whole point be negated if I had breakfast? 1 meal at 8 am the other at 8 pm. or should I cram it all in between 8 and 10:30?

    I am at work from 8-6 or later 6 days a week. I chug my Preworkout on my drive from work and should be fasted for this.

    I would live to hear some suggestions I'm pretty confused trying to figure this out
    Warrior diet it bro. Small very small meals like shakes and egg whites and fruits and greens. Up to 600-800 cals before te workout then slam the rest post workout and call it a day

    I personally when I fast 24-30 hours I consume 10g bcaas every 3 hours except when I'm sleeping till I hit my meal
    Enhanced Body Formulations Product Educator

    For any questions on our products that need a quick response, please email me directly
    EnhancedBodyFormulations@gmail .com
  7. Elite Member
    Driven2lift's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Age
    25
    Posts
    6,205
    Rep Power
    7236350
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    65.04%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by EBF Inc View Post

    Warrior diet it bro. Small very small meals like shakes and egg whites and fruits and greens. Up to 600-800 cals before te workout then slam the rest post workout and call it a day

    I personally when I fast 24-30 hours I consume 10g bcaas every 3 hours except when I'm sleeping till I hit my meal
    Sounds much more possible for me thank you. 350 breakfast and lunch I can do
    Athletix Representative
    Orbit Nutrition Representative;
    Use the code SOCIAL for 10% off your order at Orbit!
  8. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    The Solution's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    11,258
    Rep Power
    7945715
    Level
    102
    Lv. Percent
    81.46%
    Achievements Posting VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity Royalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Driven2lift View Post
    I am at work from 8-6 or later 6 days a week. I chug my Preworkout on my drive from work and should be fasted for this.

    I would live to hear some suggestions I'm pretty confused trying to figure this out
    So do this
    Eat a pre-workout meal at work (or 2 of them) say 1 and 5 p.m. and then eat your biggest meal PWO like 9ish thats an 8 hour window

    Easy... Simple. and done..

    why overthink this?

    The Leangains Guide | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

    IF is just eating in a smaller window. just take the pills with your meals. Simple.. you can eat 3-6 times in your 8 hour window if you want. MAKE IT A LIFESTYLE it should not be something that makes your life harder it should ENHANCE it and make it easier....

    Really man. 8 hours to eat. Eat your biggest meal when you come home.. Simple.. eat a few times at work have your pre-workout and then train.
    Team Inov8 Elite Performance
  9. Senior Member
    OrganicShadow's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  162 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,973
    Rep Power
    251879
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    37.72%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    After some playing around with it I found my preference is a 18-20 hr fast. I break the fast with a small protein/carb shake of about 300-400 cal before my workout then have a large bolus immediately post with some final carbless snack at the end of the window to fit in missing macros. From my experience it doesn't really matter how many "meals" just keep the feeding window consistent.

    I would train fasted if I could and have my window entirely PWO but it cuts too close to sleep. Agreed with The Solution: don't micromanage too much.
    By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired.
    Franz Kafka
  10. Senior Member
    MuscleGauge1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,568
    Rep Power
    258615
    Level
    36
    Lv. Percent
    9.97%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by The Solution View Post
    So do this
    Eat a pre-workout meal at work (or 2 of them) say 1 and 5 p.m. and then eat your biggest meal PWO like 9ish thats an 8 hour window

    Easy... Simple. and done..

    why overthink this?

    The Leangains Guide | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

    IF is just eating in a smaller window. just take the pills with your meals. Simple.. you can eat 3-6 times in your 8 hour window if you want. MAKE IT A LIFESTYLE it should not be something that makes your life harder it should ENHANCE it and make it easier....

    Really man. 8 hours to eat. Eat your biggest meal when you come home.. Simple.. eat a few times at work have your pre-workout and then train.
    i say go with this. Simple and makes the most sense. No need to over think this stuff. Nutrition an diet should be simple not hard at all. You will be just fine bro just follow this advice.
  11. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    The Solution's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    11,258
    Rep Power
    7945715
    Level
    102
    Lv. Percent
    81.46%
    Achievements Posting VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity Royalty

    Quote Originally Posted by OrganicShadow View Post
    After some playing around with it I found my preference is a 18-20 hr fast. I break the fast with a small protein/carb shake of about 300-400 cal before my workout then have a large bolus immediately post with some final carbless snack at the end of the window to fit in missing macros. From my experience it doesn't really matter how many "meals" just keep the feeding window consistent.

    I would train fasted if I could and have my window entirely PWO but it cuts too close to sleep. Agreed with The Solution: don't micromanage too much.
    True, but even Martin Suggests 3 meals for most, and it makes sense for protein synthesis as well. Eating 2 meals in a matter of 2-3 hours is not optimal for maximum protein synthesis as layne norton has shown in his research, hence why spacing them out over the 8 hour window would be better.
    Team Inov8 Elite Performance
  12. Senior Member
    OrganicShadow's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  162 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,973
    Rep Power
    251879
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    37.72%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Point taken.
    By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired.
    Franz Kafka
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. How to dose prime and PM in morning workout
    By bigbeef in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-22-2010, 10:24 PM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-30-2008, 01:01 AM
  3. Fina and aerobic workouts
    By 88wheelie in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-26-2004, 11:22 AM
  4. Timing of insulin and post-workout nutrition.
    By JohnGafnea in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-19-2003, 01:07 PM
  5. pre and during workout questions
    By aeoliantru in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-02-2002, 03:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in