Cheapest protein sources?

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.25%

Cheapest protein sources?

My family has fallen on hard times and I'm using basically all my income to pay my student loans and other various bills. I know mostly everyone has bills so I'm no different I'm just looking for the cheapest protein sources I can buy for my diet. I used to rely heavily on whey powder but the price keeps going up. Would it be worth it to join a SAMs club or something of the sort to get cheap food? Is it really worth it or just buy from a regular store? Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks and God bless.

2. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.84%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by SoupNaziNazi View Post
    My family has fallen on hard times and I'm using basically all my income to pay my student loans and other various bills. I know mostly everyone has bills so I'm no different I'm just looking for the cheapest protein sources I can buy for my diet. I used to rely heavily on whey powder but the price keeps going up. Would it be worth it to join a SAMs club or something of the sort to get cheap food? Is it really worth it or just buy from a regular store? Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks and God bless.

I can't afford whey anymore either really. I think SAMs club is worth it, but on the other hand wal-mart is almost as cheap. You can get good deals on a lot of meat at Sams club or BJ's wholesale club. I let my membership expire a while back and am actually thinking about renewing. I rely more on eggs for protein than anything else. If you can stand it, tuna is pretty cheap also. Also if I just can't afford to eat enough protein, I just eat what I can afford. Beggars can't be choosers. You just gotta get through the hard times and have faith.
    S.N.S. Rep

T-bone@seriousnutritionsolutions .com
  3. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.84%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Paying rent and bills comes before having the perfect high protein diet.
    S.N.S. Rep

•   

Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.62%

If anything steal it from walmart.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.25%

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    Paying rent and bills comes before having the perfect high protein diet.
    I know that's why I'm looking for the cheapest foods to buy with the little money I have left. I pay my **** first
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.25%

I appreciate the response tho ill definitely look into that, not the stealing response lol the SAMs one
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.33%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Can chicken breast......70g pro per can, yes the sodium is a little high but oh well
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.65%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Sam's is so worth it.

I went protein shopping on Saturday and paid $10 for 90 eggs, $2.89/pound for 90/10 hamburger, $1.89/pound for boneless skinless chicken breast. I bought a week's worth of protein to feed 5 (including steak & pork chops) for $60.
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.
  9. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.33%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52 View Post
    Sam's is so worth it.

I went protein shopping on Saturday and paid $10 for 90 eggs, $2.89/pound for 90/10 hamburger, $1.89/pound for boneless skinless chicken breast. I bought a week's worth of protein to feed 5 (including steak & pork chops) for $60.
    Dang right it is.....I use to buy the muscletech whey, 5 pounds for 27. Their 90/10 is a staple along with the can chicken and cottage cheese
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.25%

Thanks for all the replies bro beans ill probably have to grab a membership
  11. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.07%

Yeah..Sams or Costco. Eggs and ground beef are my main sources.
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.17%

If you like seafood check out mussels in the frozen seafood case. 3.99 for two packs. More protein than you might think
  13. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.07%

Back in my starving student days I made what I called "tuna casserole" which consisted of the large can of tuna and a box of mac-n-cheese mixed. Hamburger Helper copied this later...Lol
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.17%

Quote Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF View Post
    Back in my starving student days I made what I called "tuna casserole" which consisted of the large can of tuna and a box of mac-n-cheese mixed. Hamburger Helper copied this later...Lol
    Can of walmart brand tuna is around 60 cents.
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.65%

Quote Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF View Post
    C'mon man...in your starving student days man still hunted/gathered.
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.
  16. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.07%

And natural selection still applied... ;-o
  17. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.66%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Sam's is so worth it.

I did Sam's back in NC, and it was a good investment.

Now I buy from a small fresh foods store that opened up back home (called Aldi) and buy eggs for 99Ę a dozen and milk for $1.99 a gallon (along with cheap everything else)
    Body Performance Solutions Representative

Check out our products at www.bpsnutrition.net
    Check out our FaceBook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Body-Performance-Solutions/191322614238042
  18. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.79%

Sam's is so worth it.

Costco has pretty good deals too. I just picked up 12lbs of bone in chicken thighs for $12 the other day. I think the boneless was $1.99/lb. Plus all the other meats are usually good quality and not too expensive. 88/12 ground beefs was around $2.50/lb so I picked up like 6 lbs.
    Justin
    Instagram: justin_ohara9
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/231863-joh408s-longterm-quest.html
  19. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.84%

Great thread here.
    S.N.S. Rep

20. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.34%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    I can't afford whey anymore either really. I think SAMs club is worth it, but on the other hand wal-mart is almost as cheap. You can get good deals on a lot of meat at Sams club or BJ's wholesale club. I let my membership expire a while back and am actually thinking about renewing. I rely more on eggs for protein than anything else. If you can stand it, tuna is pretty cheap also. Also if I just can't afford to eat enough protein, I just eat what I can afford. Beggars can't be choosers. You just gotta get through the hard times and have faith.
    Awesome advice right here! Prioritize your needs; you need to pay bills and but you don't need to eat at 1g of protein per pound of body weight. I'm a poor student and I live of Hoki, Tuna, Meat Balls, Lots of veggies (in season are always cheaper) and frozen berries (they're cheap where I am). I've dropped Whey in favour of Skim Milk (11g protein per 200ml serve) and I also eat a lot of canned salmon.

Costs me about $15 per day to eat which may be pricey to some, but in NZ food is expensive and this is actually really cheap.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  21. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.11%

I dont know where your at but if there is a food4 Less or some other warehouse style supermarket chicken breast beef stew meat and London broil all go on sail periodically for $1.99 and dont require buying a membership.
    Rep For IronFlex
    Use the CODE MCCREW20 to save 20% off of EVERYTHING on the IronFlex site.
  22. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.84%

Just got a whole bunch of boneless skinless chicken breasts from wally-world for $1.99 a pound. Should be enough for 1.5-2 weeks.
    S.N.S. Rep

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-24-2009, 09:38 PM
  2. Protein from Non-Protein sources
    By pinchharmonic in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-22-2008, 07:06 PM
  3. Complete protein source for whey replacement
    By djl in forum Supplements
    Replies: 10