my girlfriends mom....

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. my girlfriends mom....


    Didnt know where to post this, so thought this area would get more attention vs general chat...

    my girlfriends mom is 47 y/o. 5'4" about 110 pounds very lean. A problem that she has had most of her life is she cant sleep. She is currently using ambien but that always doesnt work. She has tried other prescribed medications and most of them have had a paradoxical reaction with her. Her blood work is fine but has not seen an endo in a very long time for her hormones. She gets about 2-4 hours a night on average. She claims that she will take a medication and it will relax her for a few min then "i feel like my body fights it off and my heart races and keeps me up". She also has palpitations that keep her awake at night. anybody have a clue on how I can help her???? @mr.cooper69
    BPS Representative


  2. Is this accompanied by temperature increase and sweating? Of so it's change of life time, menopause.
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by kenpoengineer View Post
    Is this accompanied by temperature increase and sweating? Of so it's change of life time, menopause.
    It's happened almost her entire life. Idk about sweating and temp
    BPS Representative

  4. I think it's just insomnia. I can only sleep about 4-5 hours a night and I'm usually tossing and turning, waking up throughout the whole night. It totally sucks because I use to be on sleep meds and would sleep for 16-24 hours straight but feel super groggy throughout the day. Kicking the sleep meds was probably the hardest thing I've ever done.
    If I live every moment believing, then the chaos in my heart will be a beautiful thing.-
    I am in love, but not in love with someone or something, I am in love with my life. And for the first time, in a long time, everything is inspiring.-

  5. I had a friend who was having serious sleep issues, night terrors etc. and he went to a sleep clinic which helped him loads. That would be my recommendation. There are sleep specialists who can offer far more insight than anyone on here or even a regular doctor. Throwing powerful prescription meds at the problem certainly isn't the solution. There will be an underlying cause to this, but she needs to see an expert to get to the bottom of it.

    P.S I thought this was going to be a much more exciting thread when I clicked on it...
    •   
       


  6. I force lights out perhaps? nimbus abyss?
    I heard there is new data showing some people just don't need that much sleep.. perhaps she feels ok in light of the situation but only seeks a remedy because she thinks she needs to get more sleep?.
    FINAFLEX forum rep
    visit our website at finaflex.com

  7. Quote Originally Posted by puccah8808 View Post
    I think it's just insomnia. I can only sleep about 4-5 hours a night and I'm usually tossing and turning, waking up throughout the whole night. It totally sucks because I use to be on sleep meds and would sleep for 16-24 hours straight but feel super groggy throughout the day. Kicking the sleep meds was probably the hardest thing I've ever done.

    yeah she didnt always use meds. this has been an issue for a while. She also has atrial flutter which causes her heart to race...etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnston View Post
    I had a friend who was having serious sleep issues, night terrors etc. and he went to a sleep clinic which helped him loads. That would be my recommendation. There are sleep specialists who can offer far more insight than anyone on here or even a regular doctor. Throwing powerful prescription meds at the problem certainly isn't the solution. There will be an underlying cause to this, but she needs to see an expert to get to the bottom of it.

    P.S I thought this was going to be a much more exciting thread when I clicked on it...
    yeah done on purpose to get more readers to help me out!

    Quote Originally Posted by xR1pp3Rx View Post
    I force lights out perhaps? nimbus abyss?
    I heard there is new data showing some people just don't need that much sleep.. perhaps she feels ok in light of the situation but only seeks a remedy because she thinks she needs to get more sleep?.
    she gets 3-5 hours a night (around there) and has most of her life.
    BPS Representative

  8. She needs to discuss this with her doctor, not look for opinions on the internet. (No offense intended)
    PESCIENCE.COM

    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  9. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    She needs to discuss this with her doctor, not look for opinions on the internet. (No offense intended)
    She already has
    BPS Representative

  10. Quote Originally Posted by R1balla View Post
    Didnt know where to post this, so thought this area would get more attention vs general chat...

    my girlfriends mom is 47 y/o. 5'4" about 110 pounds very lean. A problem that she has had most of her life is she cant sleep. She is currently using ambien but that always doesnt work. She has tried other prescribed medications and most of them have had a paradoxical reaction with her. Her blood work is fine but has not seen an endo in a very long time for her hormones. She gets about 2-4 hours a night on average. She claims that she will take a medication and it will relax her for a few min then "i feel like my body fights it off and my heart races and keeps me up". She also has palpitations that keep her awake at night. anybody have a clue on how I can help her???? @mr.cooper69
    Women over the age of 40 are more likely to develop sleeping disorders. Does she take any kind of vitamins or supplements? Prescribed medications? I'm asking this because sometimes the answer to the lack of sleep is in our pantry or drawer. Many vitamins like vit b or c are link to this kind of sleeping disorders as well as ginseng. Steroids for asthma and beta blockers for high blood pressure and some heart problems are link as well. You said she has a heart condition which is a big reason why she's not able to sleep more than 2-4 hours. My suggestion would be to tell her to make an appointment with her physician and take with her all the vitamins supplements and over the counter and prescribed medication and ask her physician if there's something in there that might be interfering with her lack of sleep. Also another thing to remember is she might be getting into the menopause stage which is a huge huge factor for women and greatly associated with problems falling asleep. Hot flashes, night sweats and the whole revolution of hormones inside her body causes a lot of times sleeping disorders. Next thing I would kindly suggest is to go to a sleep clinic if her physician says nothing in her medicine cabinet is affecting her sleep habits. She might have restless leg syndrome, sleep apnea or any other problem she might not be even aware of. But I would say her heart condition plus the fact that she might be or is already into menopause are basically two big factors and are definitely important enough to say they might be responsible for her insomnia. There's so many other things I can keep on telling you, lol, but so far this are my most important things to say. I'm a foreign medical graduate btw I'm not inventing this. Best of luck!

  11. i dont think you all are reading this all the way through. she has had this issue for most of her life, not just recently.
    BPS Representative

  12. Again I'd highly recommend sleep specialist/clinic. This is like asking people on the internet what's wrong with your car... take it to a mechanic lol.

  13. Quote Originally Posted by R1balla View Post
    i dont think you all are reading this all the way through. she has had this issue for most of her life, not just recently.
    No mean to offend, but if she has had this issue for almost all her life what are you asking for? People that have been dealing with insomnia get to a point where if they've tried everything and found nothing is wrong, kind of give up and get used to the fact they are only able to sleep 4 hours throughout the night. Plus if her physician has checked her and said everything was ok I guess there's no problem then.

  14. Quote Originally Posted by michelle82 View Post
    Plus if her physician has checked her and said everything was ok I guess there's no problem then.
    Not at all, sleep disorders are hardly going to be the specialty of your average physician. Likely they know little more than you or I could learn reading up on Wikipedia!

  15. Quote Originally Posted by michelle82 View Post

    No mean to offend, but if she has had this issue for almost all her life what are you asking for? People that have been dealing with insomnia get to a point where if they've tried everything and found nothing is wrong, kind of give up and get used to the fact they are only able to sleep 4 hours throughout the night. Plus if her physician has checked her and said everything was ok I guess there's no problem then.
    Because the past few years it's been hard on her sleep. And I guess you have no experience in the medical field because then typical physician knows nothing about specific problems love this one. I have no say in what doctor she goes to see, I'm just wanting to get others opinions on the matter. Don't you think I know she needs to see a doctor? I can't make her to anything.
    BPS Representative

  16. Quote Originally Posted by Johnston View Post
    Not at all, sleep disorders are hardly going to be the specialty of your average physician. Likely they know little more than you or I could learn reading up on Wikipedia!
    Exactly.
    BPS Representative

  17. Quote Originally Posted by Johnston View Post
    Not at all, sleep disorders are hardly going to be the specialty of your average physician. Likely they know little more than you or I could learn reading up on Wikipedia!
    I agree. We in Central America aren't trained on this area nor have any sleep clinics. It's totally a new world for me. But he has stated she has had this issue for almost all her life. So if there isn't anything the Physician can find as abnormal health related that's why I said she should than try to go to a sleep clinic. I know there's a wide number of factors that can be affecting her sleeping habits. So I agree 100% with you, I have no in depth knowledge of sleeping related issues more than what I've slightly read while studying for my boards or what I've heard from good close family and friends who have sleeping disorders or work in sleep clinics!

  18. My doc pushes all that **** on me. **** ambien shot will fuxk your head eventually. What works for me is accepting it. And not trying to force. Some nights 2 hour and other 10 but luckily I just listen to my body. Not everyone needs 8 hours of sleep.

  19. I have a hard time trusting some docs knowing a lot of them just give a drug that costs an arm and a leg to fix everything. So instead of the high price crap I just try a few things out myself. I dont remember or maybe I missed it if she has tried some of the OTC stuff before but I personally use Lights Out when i cant sleep. I havent had any issue nearly as long as she has. Your a good guy for trying to help her out.
    iForce Nutrition Anabolics Minion Member
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate
    iForce Nutrition -www.iForceNutrition.com

  20. Quote Originally Posted by veaderko View Post
    I have a hard time trusting some docs knowing a lot of them just give a drug that costs an arm and a leg to fix everything. So instead of the high price crap I just try a few things out myself. I dont remember or maybe I missed it if she has tried some of the OTC stuff before but I personally use Lights Out when i cant sleep. I havent had any issue nearly as long as she has. Your a good guy for trying to help her out.
    Nyquil and ZMA she has tried. both kept her awake.
    BPS Representative

  21. Quote Originally Posted by R1balla View Post
    Nyquil and ZMA she has tried. both kept her awake.
    Wow, Nyquil kept her awake?! (Not a question, just in shock)

    Well happy to hear your making an effort to help.
    iForce Nutrition Anabolics Minion Member
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate
    iForce Nutrition -www.iForceNutrition.com

  22. Quote Originally Posted by veaderko View Post
    Wow, Nyquil kept her awake?! (Not a question, just in shock)

    Well happy to hear your making an effort to help.
    yeah she said it calms her for a few minutes but then "i feel like my body fights it off and i cant sleep" (her words). so weird.
    BPS Representative

  23. Quote Originally Posted by R1balla View Post
    yeah she said it calms her for a few minutes but then "i feel like my body fights it off and i cant sleep" (her words). so weird.
    Tell her to go to a specialist, get a second opinion, look into sleep therapy, sleep hygiene, trazadone (ask her Dr about it), and breathing techniques.
    The Physique Biochemist
    Biochemistry Major
    Your Physique AND Credentials Should Back Up Your Position

  24. you could always tell her to count sheep??
    FINAFLEX forum rep
    visit our website at finaflex.com

  25. Is she eating before bed? I've heard of people consuming carbs just before bed (you know, that big bowl of ice cream! Lol). Some report that this keeps them up at night. Hearsay but a suggestion nonetheless.

  26. You can suggest her buying natural calm. It's a really good sleeping aid and relaxer. It helps a lot lowering stress levels and having a restful night sleep. It's magnesium powder with no artificial ingredients. It's sweetened with stevia and tastes like heaven. Maybe this would help.

  27. Quote Originally Posted by michelle82 View Post
    You can suggest her buying natural calm. It's a really good sleeping aid and relaxer. It helps a lot lowering stress levels and having a restful night sleep. It's magnesium powder with no artificial ingredients. It's sweetened with stevia and tastes like heaven. Maybe this would help.
    Mag deff helps aid with sleep... I love mag

    I think she's passed the the point of supps tho.
    The Physique Biochemist
    Biochemistry Major
    Your Physique AND Credentials Should Back Up Your Position

  28. I know one thing that helps me sleep is turkey thirty minutes before bed. Really does the trick for me. Gives me good zzz throughout the whole night. This is what I would suggest for sure,

  29. I'm baffled why this thread exists tbh, if she won't go to a specialist doctor, why would she listen to random advice from people from the internet lol?
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. this dude hit on my girlfriend
    By hogiejoe in forum General Chat
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 05-09-2007, 04:39 PM
  2. workout for my girlfriend
    By bige211 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-22-2005, 09:20 AM
  3. Fat loss pills for my girlfriend.
    By goin_big in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-26-2004, 10:18 PM
  4. Help me...Help my Girlfriend..Experts Needed
    By Super Tri's in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-12-2004, 04:17 PM
  5. what is a good site for my girlfriend?
    By hamper19 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-25-2004, 01:11 PM
Log in
Log in