Diet for losing stomach fat but gaining muscle?

G

gibbons2

Awards
If you guys have a sample diet that helps lose stomach fat while still gaining muscle, please share. any clean diet that helps lose some fat will be helpful. thanks guys

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Carb cycling along with calorie cycling. Hard to do and tedious. Why are you affraid of losing muscle? Muscle memory is a great natural tool.

G

gibbons2

Awards
Carb cycling along with calorie cycling. Hard to do and tedious. Why are you affraid of losing muscle? Muscle memory is a great natural tool.
no one wants to lose muscle. I'd just like to lose my stomach fat because the only fat that I actually have

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
You need to calculate your TDEE, and then work out diet from there, ensuring you get the necessary macros. There will be an element of trial and error. No one can simply 'give' you a diet that will automatically work. There are some very useful calculators at iifym.com

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
What thing? TDEE? It's your Total Daily Energy Expenditure. Lots of info on iifym.com, check it out.

K

Karl Ess

Awards
thannks buddy. Well im from Germany all they say here is oyu either go on a cut or on a bulk there is nothing in between

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
There is slightly more to it than that. Depends on your goals and everyone is different, no one size fits all approach.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I recommend you try a CKD were you diet in ketosis all week then carb up over the weekend. very effective for your specific goal.

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
He still needs to work out what macro split he would need, so first task is to find out your TDEE, then calculate your macros based on whatever diet you want to try, be that keto or otherwise.

G

gibbons2

Awards
He still needs to work out what macro split he would need, so first task is to find out your TDEE, then calculate your macros based on whatever diet you want to try, be that keto or otherwise.
I'm actually just looking for a sample diet that any of you people use for a goal like this. I'm not trying to calculate mine

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Didnt´know there is such a thing
There is not.
You cant lose fat and gain muscle.
Your trying to do two things
Gain Muscle = Caloric Surplus
Lose Fat = Caloric Deficit.

You will be trying to do what every magazine states you can do but in general this only applies to individuals who are very new to training,

Please Read:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/reducing-body-fat-percentage-by-gaining-muscle-qa.html

Question: I want to reduce my body fat percentage but I also want to gain muscle and would rather not diet. A guy at my gym told me that if I gain muscle, this will have the effect of reducing body fat percentage, is this true?
Answer: Yes and no. Strictly speaking, yes, if you can gain muscle without any accompanying fat gain, you will reduce your body fat percentage. However, the reality is that when you work the math, the impact of gaining muscle mass is minuscule approaching irrelevant, especially compared to the impact of actually losing fat through diet/activity.
To illustrate this, let’s consider an average lifter who is 170 pounds with 15% body fat. As I showed in Body Composition Calculations, we can determine the total amount of body fat (in pounds) that this person is carrying by multiplying their weight by 15% (or 0.15). So our lifter has
170 pounds * 0.15 = 25 pounds of body fat and 145 pounds of lean body mass. We don’t actually need the lean body mass number for any of the calculations I’m going to do.
Let’s look at how much of an impact gaining pure muscle mass has in terms of changing body fat percentage. For these calculations, I’ll assume that the lifter is gaining 100% muscle and no fat; please note that this is not usually a good assumption. But it makes the math easier.
The table below demonstrates how various increases in muscle mass affect body fat percentage; note that his fat mass will stay static at 25 pounds throughout the calculations. So all I’m doing is dividing total fat mass (25 pounds) by the new body weight after adding the muscle that was gained. For the unadulterated hell of it, in addition to more reasonable numbers, I’ve done the calculation assuming this lifter can gain a whopping 40 pounds of true muscle mass with zero fat gain.
Impact of Muscle Gain on Body Fat Percentage
Muscle Gain Fat Mass Total Weight Body Fat Percentage
5 pounds 25 pounds 175 pounds 14.2%
10 pounds 25 pounds 180 pounds 13.8%
15 pounds 25 pounds 185 pounds 13.5%
20 pounds 25 pounds 190 pounds 13.1%
40 pounds 25 pounds 210 pounds 11.9%
As you can see, adding muscle mass doesn’t really have the impact on body fat percentage that you might hope. Every 5 pounds of true muscle gained reduces body fat percentage slightly (by about 0.4%). Sure, if our lifter can gain a tremendous 40 pounds of muscle mass with no fat gain, he will reduce his body fat percentage by nearly 4% but we need to consider the time frame involved here.
As discussed in What’s My Genetic Muscular Potential, with realistic rates of muscle gain, it might take this lifter 3-4 years to gain that 40 pounds of muscle mass. That’s if he gains it at all (i.e. it may be beyond his personal genetic potential).
As well, it would be staggeringly unlikely for this lifter to gain that much muscle without gaining some fat; and by ‘staggeringly unlikely’, I mean basically impossible.
Now, for comparison, let’s look at the impact of fat loss on body fat percentage. The calculations here are a little more complex because both fat mass and total weight are changing. The table below demonstrates how losing fat impacts on body fat percentage, using values similar to the above. For what should be obvious reasons, I can’t do the calculation for a 40 pound fat loss since our lifter only has 25 pounds to start with. If he lost 40 pounds of fat, he’d be long dead.
Impact of Fat Loss on Body Fat Percentage
Fat Loss Fat Mass Total Weight Body Fat Percentage
5 pounds 20 pounds 165 pounds 12%
10 pounds 15 pounds 160 pounds 9.3%
15 pounds 10 pounds 155 pounds 6.4%
20 pounds 5 pounds 150 pounds 3.3%
See the difference? Whereas a 5 pound gain in muscle only lowered body fat percentage by less than 1%, the same 5 pound fat loss lowers it a full 3%. By the time the lifter has lost 10 pounds of fat, he’s dropped from 15% to 9.3% body fat; the same 10 pound muscle gain only lowered body fat percentage by 1.2%. And where a 20 pound gain in muscle only lowered body fat percentage from 15% to 11%, the same 20 pound fat loss took him from 15% to full contest leanness.
Additionally, since fat can be lost much faster than muscle can be gained, it should be clear that losing fat is a far more effective method of lowering body fat percentage. On a hard diet such as the Rapid Fat Loss Handbook, our lifter could achieve a true 5 pound fat loss in 2 weeks, compare that to the roughly 10 weeks it might take him to gain the same amount of muscle.
Even on a more traditional diet, a 5 pound fat loss should be easily achievable within 5 weeks; twice as quickly as the same gain in muscle mass and with a much greater impact on body fat percentage. And where the 20 pound fat loss might take 20-24 weeks (taking the lifter from 15% to shredded), compare that to the 1-2 years it would take to gain the same amount of muscle mass.
Which is why I said yes and no originally.
Yes, gaining muscle mass can have an impact on body fat percentage but the effects are generally very small and I think it’s an inefficient way of approaching the goal. Losing the same amount of body fat can not only be done much more quickly compared to gaining muscle, the equivalent fat loss has a much larger effect on body fat percentage compared to gaining muscle.

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
I'm actually just looking for a sample diet that any of you people use for a goal like this. I'm not trying to calculate mine
There is NO SUCH THING. I don't think you understand... sample diets don't work. Everyone is unique. You MUST calculate what YOU need in terms of calories/macros, then use a variety of healthy food sources to make up that diet... lean protein sources, healthy fats, complex carbs (and maybe some simple ones)... it really doesn't matter what foods you choice as long as you stay away from trans/hydrogenated fats and keep sugar low (some is OK), but what DOES matter is the macro breakdown and how many calories you consume. This can't be emphasised enough. I would highly recommend something like myfitnesspal, which is an iphone/android app (and they have website) where you can quickly and easily enter your foods and it tells you exactly what the macro breakdown of them is. This will be an invaluable tool for you in the beginning.

If you're looking for someone to just tell you exactly what to eat, forget it... someone might, but it wouldn't get you the desired results. This takes effort, don't expect someone to just give you a simple answer, that's not how it works.

ChefJoey

ChefJoey

Awards
When you find this diet, please PM me the link.

Other than that, The Solution pretty much laid it out for you.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
When you find this diet, please PM me the link.

Other than that, The Solution pretty much laid it out for you.
Cookie Cutter Diets wont ever work, you will be awaiting a PM that will never be found :)
No human body is the same,
what one does wont work for another.
Thats simple concept

"The body is not a textbook"

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
What everyone has said, sample diets are just that a sample of what someone randomly came up with. You might as well give us a sample diet at this rate and we can just say well yeah that wont work for me because I need more or less then XYZ.

Tell you what, take some thermo's and see if that will work for yah (sarcasm)

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
What everyone has said, sample diets are just that a sample of what someone randomly came up with. You might as well give us a sample diet at this rate and we can just say well yeah that wont work for me because I need more or less then XYZ.

Tell you what, take some thermo's and see if that will work for yah (sarcasm)
Sad thing is most GNC Employees will give that response (your final line) and suggest things and supplements without knowing ones diet which is the key reason for their success.. LOL

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
Sad thing is most GNC Employees will give that response (your final line) and suggest things and supplements without knowing ones diet which is the key reason for their success.. LOL
Exactly! Reason why I dont shop at GNC either, plus way over priced!

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
i almost had to smak the wifey when she rolled up with a gold card and two tubs of protonz... yeah this was like 3 months ago. wasn't even i force protonz neither...

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
i almost had to smak the wifey when she rolled up with a gold card and two tubs of protonz... yeah this was like 3 months ago. wasn't even i force protonz neither...
Return for a refund and buy online = winning.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
nope she wouldn't have it! lol she made the decision so she wanted to use it. at least it didn't go to waste. :banghead:

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
First and foremost welcome to AM glad to have you. To help you along your way I need to know how much you weigh. Understand the number that we will come up with is just a STARTING point and that it will take some adjusting on your end to really fine tune what you're looking for. I also need to know what you do for work I.e. is it in an office all day or working outside doing construction this will help factor where to start.

If you guys have a sample diet that helps lose stomach fat while still gaining muscle, please share. any clean diet that helps lose some fat will be helpful. thanks guys
Like the other guys were saying while they were ripping you a new ass hole it's not that simple we wish it were lol. Best approach to achieve your goals is to tackle that fat first. Therefore you're going to need to eat at a caloric deficit. This basically just means you have to eat less than what your total energy expenditure is for the day.

So if you haven't been scared off by a few bullies let me know your weight and we'll go from there.

Once we figure out your daily caloric intake we can then help you figure out a few ways to reach that intake to optimize some fat loss

Talk soon

G

gibbons2

Awards
every time I ask a question hopin to get some answers, people always have something smart to say like all the comments above. pretty annoying considering all I ask for is advice. it's cool tho

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
every time I ask a question hopin to get some answers, people always have something smart to say like all the comments above. pretty annoying considering all I ask for is advice. it's cool tho
People are just saying that they cannot outline you a plan, without personally knowing you. Consistency and adherence are VITAL in achieving weight loss and muscle gain over the long term. If I develop a diet like this:

Breakfast:
Vension 200g
Mushrooms 200g
Elephant testicles 200g

and so on, then are you likely going to eat any of that? Despite the fact iut nay be programmed to cater for your goals, it is unlikely you would adhere to this program over the long term. What you instead need is an understanding of how to program for yourself so that you incorporate foods that you enjoy and are thus more likely to eat on a regular and continual basis.

Ya dig?

:D

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
The body is not a textbook,
what works for one does not work for another

Using a cookie cutter diet plan of listing foods and amounts does not yield progress. it will mostly lead to 1) an eating disorder from limiting yourself to X foods
2) a broken meabolism for the most part (especially cutting)
3) The client being less motivated because they are doing the same thing everyday day in and day out and may lose focus.

Again your trying to do 2 things that dont work
Cutting to lose fat = Caloric deficit
Gain muscle / size / strength = caloric surplus

both goals do not match. Pick one and go after it.

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
The body is not a textbook,
what works for one does not work for another

Using a cookie cutter diet plan of listing foods and amounts does not yield progress. it will mostly lead to 1) an eating disorder from limiting yourself to X foods
2) a broken meabolism for the most part (especially cutting)
3) The client being less motivated because they are doing the same thing everyday day in and day out and may lose focus.

Again your trying to do 2 things that dont work
Cutting to lose fat = Caloric deficit
Gain muscle / size / strength = caloric surplus

both goals do not match. Pick one and go after it.
It's ashame more people don't get this...especially the textbook part

J

JD261985

Banned
Awards
There is not.
You cant lose fat and gain muscle.
Your trying to do two things
Gain Muscle = Caloric Surplus
Lose Fat = Caloric Deficit.

You will be trying to do what every magazine states you can do but in general this only applies to individuals who are very new to training,

Please Read:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/reducing-body-fat-percentage-by-gaining-muscle-qa.html

Question: I want to reduce my body fat percentage but I also want to gain muscle and would rather not diet. A guy at my gym told me that if I gain muscle, this will have the effect of reducing body fat percentage, is this true?
Answer: Yes and no. Strictly speaking, yes, if you can gain muscle without any accompanying fat gain, you will reduce your body fat percentage. However, the reality is that when you work the math, the impact of gaining muscle mass is minuscule approaching irrelevant, especially compared to the impact of actually losing fat through diet/activity.
To illustrate this, let's consider an average lifter who is 170 pounds with 15% body fat. As I showed in Body Composition Calculations, we can determine the total amount of body fat (in pounds) that this person is carrying by multiplying their weight by 15% (or 0.15). So our lifter has
170 pounds * 0.15 = 25 pounds of body fat and 145 pounds of lean body mass. We don't actually need the lean body mass number for any of the calculations I'm going to do.
Let's look at how much of an impact gaining pure muscle mass has in terms of changing body fat percentage. For these calculations, I'll assume that the lifter is gaining 100% muscle and no fat; please note that this is not usually a good assumption. But it makes the math easier.
The table below demonstrates how various increases in muscle mass affect body fat percentage; note that his fat mass will stay static at 25 pounds throughout the calculations. So all I'm doing is dividing total fat mass (25 pounds) by the new body weight after adding the muscle that was gained. For the unadulterated hell of it, in addition to more reasonable numbers, I've done the calculation assuming this lifter can gain a whopping 40 pounds of true muscle mass with zero fat gain.
Impact of Muscle Gain on Body Fat Percentage
Muscle Gain Fat Mass Total Weight Body Fat Percentage
5 pounds 25 pounds 175 pounds 14.2%
10 pounds 25 pounds 180 pounds 13.8%
15 pounds 25 pounds 185 pounds 13.5%
20 pounds 25 pounds 190 pounds 13.1%
40 pounds 25 pounds 210 pounds 11.9%
As you can see, adding muscle mass doesn't really have the impact on body fat percentage that you might hope. Every 5 pounds of true muscle gained reduces body fat percentage slightly (by about 0.4%). Sure, if our lifter can gain a tremendous 40 pounds of muscle mass with no fat gain, he will reduce his body fat percentage by nearly 4% but we need to consider the time frame involved here.
As discussed in What's My Genetic Muscular Potential, with realistic rates of muscle gain, it might take this lifter 3-4 years to gain that 40 pounds of muscle mass. That's if he gains it at all (i.e. it may be beyond his personal genetic potential).
As well, it would be staggeringly unlikely for this lifter to gain that much muscle without gaining some fat; and by 'staggeringly unlikely', I mean basically impossible.
Now, for comparison, let's look at the impact of fat loss on body fat percentage. The calculations here are a little more complex because both fat mass and total weight are changing. The table below demonstrates how losing fat impacts on body fat percentage, using values similar to the above. For what should be obvious reasons, I can't do the calculation for a 40 pound fat loss since our lifter only has 25 pounds to start with. If he lost 40 pounds of fat, he'd be long dead.
Impact of Fat Loss on Body Fat Percentage
Fat Loss Fat Mass Total Weight Body Fat Percentage
5 pounds 20 pounds 165 pounds 12%
10 pounds 15 pounds 160 pounds 9.3%
15 pounds 10 pounds 155 pounds 6.4%
20 pounds 5 pounds 150 pounds 3.3%
See the difference? Whereas a 5 pound gain in muscle only lowered body fat percentage by less than 1%, the same 5 pound fat loss lowers it a full 3%. By the time the lifter has lost 10 pounds of fat, he's dropped from 15% to 9.3% body fat; the same 10 pound muscle gain only lowered body fat percentage by 1.2%. And where a 20 pound gain in muscle only lowered body fat percentage from 15% to 11%, the same 20 pound fat loss took him from 15% to full contest leanness.
Additionally, since fat can be lost much faster than muscle can be gained, it should be clear that losing fat is a far more effective method of lowering body fat percentage. On a hard diet such as the Rapid Fat Loss Handbook, our lifter could achieve a true 5 pound fat loss in 2 weeks, compare that to the roughly 10 weeks it might take him to gain the same amount of muscle.
Even on a more traditional diet, a 5 pound fat loss should be easily achievable within 5 weeks; twice as quickly as the same gain in muscle mass and with a much greater impact on body fat percentage. And where the 20 pound fat loss might take 20-24 weeks (taking the lifter from 15% to shredded), compare that to the 1-2 years it would take to gain the same amount of muscle mass.
Which is why I said yes and no originally.
Yes, gaining muscle mass can have an impact on body fat percentage but the effects are generally very small and I think it's an inefficient way of approaching the goal. Losing the same amount of body fat can not only be done much more quickly compared to gaining muscle, the equivalent fat loss has a much larger effect on body fat percentage compared to gaining muscle.
Whenever I tell people you can't build muscle and burn fat they just laugh at me and disregard anything else I have to say. The majority of the population believes this is very possible and will think you're a fool if you think differently. People also forget about genetic potential. While I think some under estimate their potential its something to keep in mind