Leangains carbs question

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
If anyone here is following the Leangains principle, how do you structure your carbs? My calculation has me consuming around 450g carbs on workout days, which I'd obviously struggle to do in one sitting! Would it be best to have some of those pre-workout? I usually hit the gym around 5pm, so I would likely be following the two pre-workout meal approach.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Its pretty clearly laid out on leangains.com. there is a place on that site that lays out 1 pre workout meal and also 2 pre workout meals. I believe 1 pre workout meal is 20% of daily cals (can put some carbs here) and the 2 pre workout meals is meal 1- 20% meal 2-10-20%. Should be pretty easy to find on the site though man.

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
I've read it, I know what you're referring to (unless there's some other section), but it talks about CALORIE %, not carbs. My question was for people who've done it and had actual experience with, what's worked for them etc.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have done it. Just eat some of your carbs lol. Its really pretty simple.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
If anyone here is following the Leangains principle, how do you structure your carbs? My calculation has me consuming around 450g carbs on workout days, which I'd obviously struggle to do in one sitting! Would it be best to have some of those pre-workout? I usually hit the gym around 5pm, so I would likely be following the two pre-workout meal approach.
Why would you do 1 sitting. lean gains is not about stuffing youself stupid in 1 meal its about a 16-8 fasting/feeding window, hence why martin has the outlined diets on his website and usually in 3 meals which would not be hard at all to do.

So why dont you do like 50% of your carbs post-workout and then 25% in the other 2 meals? that would be logical and not make yourself like your feeling full. And would give you plenty of energy and fuel for your workouts.

What works for us or those who do LG? most people dont cycle calories that much on NON workout and workout days, some people eat the same calories everyday, LG is just a LIFESTYLE preference on how you eat. It does not mean huge swings. Some of the best results come from people who only change carbs maybe 25-30g on off days or keep their calories the same. the only difference it your meals are in a window and it should SUIT YOUR LIFESTYLE.

The amount of carbs should be up to what you need to achieve your goal once protein fat and fiber minimums are met.

I keep my carbs nearly the same on workout and non workout days to aid in recovery and also fuel my body for my next workout.

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
Yeah, didn't think it was about stuffing myself stupid, just curious what results/approaches other people have tried with it, just to give me some ideas. I'm a very structured person when it comes to food... I find I have to be, otherwise I will fall into bad patterns, forgetting to eat, then eating the wrong thing. Structure works for me, so I need to have it sorted in my head roughly what to eat when. That's simply what works for ME. The whole 'eat when hungry, or when you feel like it' approach as some people have suggested to me just won't work for me unfortunately.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Yeah, didn't think it was about stuffing myself stupid, just curious what results/approaches other people have tried with it, just to give me some ideas. I'm a very structured person when it comes to food... I find I have to be, otherwise I will fall into bad patterns, forgetting to eat, then eating the wrong thing. Structure works for me, so I need to have it sorted in my head roughly what to eat when. That's simply what works for ME. The whole 'eat when hungry, or when you feel like it' approach as some people have suggested to me just won't work for me unfortunately.
Meet Protein, Fiber, and Fat minimums first and foremost, fill the rest with carbs = No pattern involved.
If you eat 3 meals, 4 meals, 5 meals who cares. do what WORKS FOR YOU, do what SUITS YOUR SCHEDULE, and is best for your personal preference. IF is not magic, it does not yield greater results than spreading your meals out, its just simply a lifestyle choice.

You fail if you forget to eat because that is your responsibility. even if you eat when you wake up, and then 3 hours later, then 6 hours later. who cares? Did you meet your caloric intake, micronutrient intake, and your minimums for the day and the calories to support your goal? That is all that matters. There is no magical recipe for success. Dedication and Consistency is what matters most, not the timing of this or that. Supply your workouts with proper nutrition and hit your calories and your fine. Dont overcomplicate it.

Eat whenever you want does work, just make sure your calories are there to support your goal and guess what it will work :)

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
OK, thanks for your advice. I do overthink it I know lol! :)

crookedfinger

Awards
Google this:
Rippedbody.jp How to Calculate Your Leangains Macros

Yes, you can consume Carbs pre-workout. What matters most is hitting your calories/macros for the day.

Also, keep in mind, Protein and calorie counts rule. Carbs and fats are to be manipulated based on body composition and how the individual responds to the macro amounts. Manipulation will probably be necessary. Based on your picture I assume you are doing a Bulk? As a cut or even recomp with carbs set that high (at first) would be unique.

Personally, I keep them at about 200-250 on work out days, but am on a cut and do better on a higher fat, lowish carb diet.

Simple answer: eat carbs at whatever meal you want, but try to get more in post workout. Research (see Alan Aragon), shows that what matters most is calories and then macros for the day, timing is far, far below in hierarchy.

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
Yeah that's the same calculator I was using. It was for a body recomp though (+20%/-20%). I've since done a recalculation though, based on what I believe to be a more accurate TDEE and upping the protein slightly, but it still comes in at 400g carbs for me. Even a cut would be 350g, so it tells me. I'll see how it goes anyway, and modify as required. Only way to know will be to give it a go! ;)

jerrysiii

jerrysiii

Awards
  • Established
Why would you do 1 sitting. lean gains is not about stuffing youself stupid in 1 meal its about a 16-8 fasting/feeding window, hence why martin has the outlined diets on his website and usually in 3 meals which would not be hard at all to do.

So why dont you do like 50% of your carbs post-workout and then 25% in the other 2 meals? that would be logical and not make yourself like your feeling full. And would give you plenty of energy and fuel for your workouts.

What works for us or those who do LG? most people dont cycle calories that much on NON workout and workout days, some people eat the same calories everyday, LG is just a LIFESTYLE preference on how you eat. It does not mean huge swings. Some of the best results come from people who only change carbs maybe 25-30g on off days or keep their calories the same. the only difference it your meals are in a window and it should SUIT YOUR LIFESTYLE.

The amount of carbs should be up to what you need to achieve your goal once protein fat and fiber minimums are met.

I keep my carbs nearly the same on workout and non workout days to aid in recovery and also fuel my body for my next workout.
This is an excellent post. I tried LG for four weeks a couple of years ago. For me, it was just the opposite. It did not fit well with my lifestyle. I felt very hungry during the day and over stuffed at night.

I weigh and measure all meals and eat off a predetermined fixed menu. I found no benefit in terms of body composition or strength from the LG schedule.

I fully understand how this schedule can make sense for a lot of guys. It just didn't work for me. In my opinion LG is a form a calorie restriction from most. Unless you measure everything, your more likely to eat less on this schedule. Yes, you'll eat some very large meals and feel well fed, but daily caloric totals are likely to be less than eating more regularly.

I'm happy that it works well for a lot people. I've also read most of Martin's work and feel he's a very intelligent guy. So no bashing here. As The Solution said, its simply a lifestyle choice.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
but daily caloric totals are likely to be less than eating more regularly.

I'm happy that it works well for a lot people. I've also read most of Martin's work and feel he's a very intelligent guy. So no bashing here. As The Solution said, its simply a lifestyle choice.
Not true, regardless if you eat 6 8 or 3-4 times a day this means nothing. Total calories does. Change your sources to hit your calories and make sure your still hitting tons of micronutrient dense food and covering your vitamins/minerals. Some people have a black hole for a stomach and can easily do this even on 4-5k calories a day.

jerrysiii

jerrysiii

Awards
  • Established
I agree that it's total calories. My point is that most people are more likely to eat less. I understand there are some exceptions. I know that if I was not measuring and eating off of a planned menu, my daily totals would have been lower.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I agree that it's total calories. My point is that most people are more likely to eat less. I understand there are some exceptions. I know that if I was not measuring and eating off of a planned menu, my daily totals would have been lower.
For the most not really... Thats a general assumption.

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
I'm about a week in to following Leangains, and so far I've found it very easy to stick to. I have no issue measuring things... suits my OCD haha, and I've been spot on with my macros every day, so it suits me for now. I'm not eating off fixed menu as such, I mix it up a bit, but I do measure. Will see how it goes anyway. :)