Carb timing conundrum

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
My head is a bit frazzled with all that I've been reading lately... so much conflicting info out there about when to eat carbs and what the best timing for them is. I've been following the Carb Backloading principle for a few months now, pro/fat during the day, only having carbs post-workout (and all high-GI), but I can't say I've seen any amazing improvements by doing this. This could be down to a number of factors of course, but it's just got me wondering about it all and what other people have seen results with? I know that everyone is different though, and there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all approach.

Do you have low-GI carbs for breakfast/lunch (pre-workout)? I presume you'd only have low-GI if any at all during the day? I always hit the gym around 4-5pm. I've had no real issues with energy during my workouts, and have found MCT oil very useful, so it's not like I really feel I NEED carbs during the day, as it's hardly like I struggle to cope without them, but if they will help with my goals I'm all for it. I watch my macros closely, and I also supplement with creatine, beta-alanine, caffeine and BCAA's. I also plan on running a stack of Anabeta and Erase shortly, so just figuring out if worth making any tweaks to my diet. I would like to gain some lean mass, keeping fat gain to a bare minimum (naturally lol!). I'm about 12-13% BF currently. Maybe I just need to experiment, but I'm curious what others personal experiences have been.

jerrysiii

jerrysiii

Awards
  • Established
I did carb backloading last winter and posted a log. If you do a search you may find it. I had some success, but at the end of day I don't think it's the best program for me.

Currently I'm incorporating some of Kiefer's ideas, but not following the program. I wake up at 6:30am and have 2 tsp of coconut oil and then do some very light cardio (e.g. walk for 30 min). I then hold until about 9am and have a big breakfast (high pro and carbs, low fat). Lunch is low carb, moderate fat. I have a small pre-workout meal with pro and carbs at 2:30pm. Workout at 4:30pm. The next two meals are protein / carb. Last meal of the night is pro and fat.

I cycle carbs and calories simply be eliminating my post workout meal on non-workout days. This reduces the rest day totals by about 650 kcal and 100gm carbs.

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
Do you count your macros and follow and kind of plan there, or more just cals?

jerrysiii

jerrysiii

Awards
  • Established
My plan is pretty specific. I calculate everything in a spreadsheet. I eat 6 meals per day and the same thing everyday. Once (maybe twice) per week I'll eat off menu. We typically go out to eat on Saturday night, so that is usually the exception.

Here is a link to my current menus: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lcyrx3cqadp3sb5/menus - new-hi.pdf

I'm on lean bulk so total calories are set about 500 kcal over maintenance.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
I do 40% pre and 40% post with the remainder through day. Combination of simple/complex

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
My plan is pretty specific. I calculate everything in a spreadsheet. I eat 6 meals per day and the same thing everyday. Once (maybe twice) per week I'll eat off menu. We typically go out to eat on Saturday night, so that is usually the exception.

Here is a link to my current menus: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lcyrx3cqadp3sb5/menus - new-hi.pdf

I'm on lean bulk so total calories are set about 500 kcal over maintenance.
Very useful, thanks for that. Gives me some ideas. :)

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
COOL I think if you are lean bulking than this looks pretty good. Just make sure you add in there healthy fats also. I think you should add olive oil and some almonds in your meal plan for this. Just to give it some variety.