Overtrained For Almost 10 Years Straight....

LB_Patriot

Awards
Hey guys, this is my first post here:

I have over-trained for about 8-9 years consistently (no joke). I am now 30, and since I was about 21 I would train hard almost every day. For a couple years I was training hard 6x/week and one light day. Then I added in one rest day. I would take off 2 or 3 days here and there and a rest week maybe once per year. I did cardio almost every training day for about 45 minutes, which I now realize was way to much; and a lot of it was moderate to high intensity cardio. In the past 2 months my body has completely broken down. I have many nagging muscle injuries and pain. My knees are in great pain as well, one of my major concerns. Knees are slightly better since I cut down/out cardio for the past few weeks but still a lot of pain. I recently obtained medical insurance for he first time in about 10 years so I am only now able to get bloodwork/mri's, ect. My blood work came back very good with the only issue being my T was low (this is weird because my energy level, physique, aggression is that of something with High T). It came in at 279. I feel this may be from overtraining. I am going this week to my GP to see the recent test results and if T is still low he is going to prescribe me a Test-supplement such as androgel.

Besides good genetics, my diet is nearly perfect; I take every important vitamin, natural anti-inflammatories, and use supplements to help recovery, muscle preservation and protein synthesis. I am 5'8" about 160-165 lbs, very lean, and have a well built physique (I dont want to come off cocky, but I would consider myself in better shape than 80-90% of the population)

Recently I injured my right Sartorius leg muscle. I took off a week, then resumed exercise but it wouldn't heal. I started PT a few weeks ago and it has helped only a little. I am very disconcerted in general but especially with this injury because I will warm it up, stretch it, and then later the muscle will be very sore and tender. It's like if you don't stretch it, it re-pulls, and if you do-stretch it, it re-pulls. I am very worried about this injury as it has debilitated my way of life and what I love to do; Train.

Last week I threw down my cards and decided to take 2 full weeks off to try and reset my CNS and heal my injuries. Today starts week 2. To be honest my injuries are still prevalent and I feel like doing the most harmless action triggers a pain response from some of muscle injuries. Simply stretching my shoulders the other day triggered a small re-strain on my right pec. Then this morning, doing nothing out of the ordinary my right tricep strained slightly(and this was one of the injuries I thought had healed up by now).

I would really appreciate your advice as to how to go about recovering my body from years of punishment and lack of time to recover. I assume that my body adjusted to not recovering for so long that this is actually a shock to it and it takes a little time for the body to equal itself out again. I've been going to acupuncture, I go to PT, use a foam roller, roller stick; Anything that can help me.

When I come back I am changing my whole regiment: weight training 5x/week, and cardio 3-4x/week. Less volume of weights as well. I have/had very long workout sessions.

I feel that my scenario is very specific and not so common especially how long and hard I have over-trained. Its amazing I haven't broken down already. I think that at 30 my body cant recover as fast and allow me to keep training without injury. I'm not old by any means but we all surely recover faster at 21 than we do at 30.

I may have not supplied enough pertinent info for you to properly advise me so please let me know if you need more info.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP.

Michael

eros62d

eros62d

Awards
I would take at least 2 months off. Get a deep tissue massage every week,load up on fish oil,cissus,ginger for your joints. Only exercise would be walking 30-45 mins a day. Keep your diet clean. High protein and fats for recovery and hormones. First few weeks back in the gym would be high reps,15-20 on all sets. I do high reps now 70% of the time myself. I'm 51. I always take a 2 week break every 6 months also. You're burned out brother,take care of yourself ;)

LB_Patriot

Awards
I dont know if I could do 2 months, let alone 1. I'm going to take it day by day. Theres now way I can maintain my muscle mass and definition without training fro that long. I worked so damn hard to get what I have.

Thanks for your input,

bigintensions

bigintensions

Awards
Honestly I do not think you "overtrained" for 10 years. Your body would have definitely adapted to the workload by then. I would say take maybe a week off and let some of the nagging pain go away and then get back at it.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
Yeah I have to agree. "Overtrained" has been a term thrown around a lot, and I dont think you did otherwise you would have broken down a long time ago. I do think that if you need to take some time off and research in your area who has experience with athletes that can give a good deep tissue massage. Also see someone who knows about ART. Take some fish oil and add some udo's oil to your meals.

LB_Patriot

Awards
Yeah I have to agree. "Overtrained" has been a term thrown around a lot, and I dont think you did otherwise you would have broken down a long time ago. I do think that if you need to take some time off and research in your area who has experience with athletes that can give a good deep tissue massage. Also see someone who knows about ART. Take some fish oil and add some udo's oil to your meals.
Thanks. I've been getting massages once a week, acupuncture, ART during PT, I take all my fish oils, cissus, msm glucosamine, ect.

LB_Patriot

Awards
Going on week 3 now and the nagging pains are still prevalent. I got back some blood work and my T is pretty low, around 200. Was wondering if maybe that can contribute to slow healing.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
Going on week 3 now and the nagging pains are still prevalent. I got back some blood work and my T is pretty low, around 200. Was wondering if maybe that can contribute to slow healing.
I would say so, yes. Though I am not sure what constitutes as low levels to be able to have monitored injections from a doctor if that is a route you were possibly thinking. But if your looking for aome OTC stuff to take that will help you should. Check out iForce Reversitol V2 and Testabolin V2.

**Sorry my spelling is going to be off, using my phone.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
2 cents...
I am of the opinion that you are never really satisfied with what you are, like many of us. And you just do not really know how to wave your intensity and work efforts, in order "to have a lot of fun at training" and not make it something you feel you need to do, in order to be above the rest, or the average guy. You sound like me 10 years ago. ;-)

I don't think your problem per se, is one of a physical nature as much as it is more emotional and or say turning your fun workouts, into an almost drudging work day, day after day after day, trying to keep getting better. I may be wrong, but it sounds from your post, you have everything so dialed in ie: W/O's, diet, cardio, rest, etc. etc. that you are constantly working on yourself and not SIMPLY enjoying just having a blast in the gym and being okay with what you have attained.
At least taking some less intense workouts, to just coast a bit and "cycle" (like everything in life does, trees, bugs, animals, people) your intensity over say week/ months/cycles of HML times. Or even very regular deloads (backing off to 60%) every 3 or so weeks)
A bulb that burns twice as bright, burns half as long.
Nothing wrong with training hard, (I love it and I am in my 50's) but how do you measure how hard you are training, if all you do, is have your foot hard on the gas 100% of the time??? IMO, if you backed off for periods or waves, you might find that you will get to another level, of training by taking a step back, to go forward 2!?

LB_Patriot

Awards
2 cents...
I am of the opinion that you are never really satisfied with what you are, like many of us. And you just do not really know how to wave your intensity and work efforts, in order "to have a lot of fun at training" and not make it something you feel you need to do, in order to be above the rest, or the average guy. You sound like me 10 years ago. ;-)

I don't think your problem per se, is one of a physical nature as much as it is more emotional and or say turning your fun workouts, into an almost drudging work day, day after day after day, trying to keep getting better. I may be wrong, but it sounds from your post, you have everything so dialed in ie: W/O's, diet, cardio, rest, etc. etc. that you are constantly working on yourself and not SIMPLY enjoying just having a blast in the gym and being okay with what you have attained.
At least taking some less intense workouts, to just coast a bit and "cycle" (like everything in life does, trees, bugs, animals, people) your intensity over say week/ months/cycles of HML times. Or even very regular deloads (backing off to 60%) every 3 or so weeks)
A bulb that burns twice as bright, burns half as long.
Nothing wrong with training hard, (I love it and I am in my 50's) but how do you measure how hard you are training, if all you do, is have your foot hard on the gas 100% of the time??? IMO, if you backed off for periods or waves, you might find that you will get to another level, of training by taking a step back, to go forward 2!?
Actually your wrong to be honest. My T is very much below average (Ive had 3 blood tests in 8 months), and nothing makes me Happier than training. I love my body but theres ALWAYS room for improvement.

I am coming back to training next week with a smarter split with more rest. I dont wake up thinking of the gym as a grind, its my shrine, my peaceful zen for the day.

Looking forward to coming back, training less, working harder, and resting more.

Good things a comin'

LB_Patriot

Awards
I would say so, yes. Though I am not sure what constitutes as low levels to be able to have monitored injections from a doctor if that is a route you were possibly thinking. But if your looking for aome OTC stuff to take that will help you should. Check out iForce Reversitol V2 and Testabolin V2.

**Sorry my spelling is going to be off, using my phone.
How does Iforce brand compare to something like LifeSmartLabs Resvertrol, sold on amazon and a lot cheaper.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
How does Iforce brand compare to something like LifeSmartLabs Resvertrol, sold on amazon and a lot cheaper.
I am not familiar with LifeSmartLabs at all. I know more about iForce products because they are what I actually use, and have been using before I even started to rep. So for me, I can say that I enjoy using iForce Reversitol and Testabolin. I feel stronger, look bigger, libido is higher (which was my original reason for starting these products).

LB_Patriot

Awards
I am not familiar with LifeSmartLabs at all. I know more about iForce products because they are what I actually use, and have been using before I even started to rep. So for me, I can say that I enjoy using iForce Reversitol and Testabolin. I feel stronger, look bigger, libido is higher (which was my original reason for starting these products).
Gotcha, appreciate the candidness. Would it still be beneficial to take either of these products if I'm already on OTC TRT? such as androgel?

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
Gotcha, appreciate the candidness. Would it still be beneficial to take either of these products if I'm already on OTC TRT? such as androgel?
I don't see how that would be a problem.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
Ok. I was sort of asking whether its still beneficial/worth the money to take resveratrol if I'm already on TRT.
Oh, well in that case I guess it would depend on if your T levels are increasing or not now. Maybe wouldn't hurt to wait till your next blood test and then if its either slowly or not increasing buy some of those supplements and see.

Everyone reacts different to this stuff. Some are very responsive, others need a bigger kick, even with androgel. So it almost comes down to what you will feel is comfortable to do.

LB_Patriot

Awards
Oh, well in that case I guess it would depend on if your T levels are increasing or not now. Maybe wouldn't hurt to wait till your next blood test and then if its either slowly or not increasing buy some of those supplements and see.

Everyone reacts different to this stuff. Some are very responsive, others need a bigger kick, even with androgel. So it almost comes down to what you will feel is comfortable to do.
Great response, thanks man. Will wait till next blood test then decide. I may start taking it just because its a proven beneficial supplement (which I have been contemplating taking for a while).

Regarding which brand, Ill do some more research but its really the main compound resveratrol which we are looking for. Every company has their "proprietary blend".

Thanks again

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
Great response, thanks man. Will wait till next blood test then decide. I may start taking it just because its a proven beneficial supplement (which I have been contemplating taking for a while).

Regarding which brand, Ill do some more research but its really the main compound resveratrol which we are looking for. Every company has their "proprietary blend".

Thanks again
Not a problem man!

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Okay, that is fine that I am wrong and certainly all the best to your new regimen. It just stands out sometimes when you say stuff like...

In the past 2 months my body has completely broken down. I have many nagging muscle injuries and pain. My knees are in great pain as well, one of my major concerns. Knees are slightly better since I cut down/out cardio for the past few weeks but still a lot of pain.
Because that ^ is a cause of stress, or it was for me anyway (not being able to train) and negative stress, is not good at all for the endocrine system along with other body systems.
Glad you are finding ways to bounce back.

LB_Patriot

Awards
Okay, that is fine that I am wrong and certainly all the best to your new regimen. It just stands out sometimes when you say stuff like...

Because that ^ is a cause of stress, or it was for me anyway (not being able to train) and negative stress, is not good at all for the endocrine system along with other body systems.
Glad you are finding ways to bounce back.
Well your partially right that I was training to keep my mind right more than taking care of my body properly.

I thank you for your input regardless and Im on my way to recovery and training smarter.

Mike

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good for you dude.
Sometimes we gotta stumble some to learn some. My guess is recognizing the constant hard training, set something in motion to get you to another level!?

Cheers

LB_Patriot

Awards
Good for you dude.
Sometimes we gotta stumble some to learn some. My guess is recognizing the constant hard training, set something in motion to get you to another level!?

Cheers
I actully broke down, threw in my cards, and gave in to sensibility and realism. I cant go on like this forever. I DONT practice what I preach. I can tell others how to train but wasnt able to do so myself. Obviously a big Mind ****. Many of us go through it. I decided I am going to get out of my comfort zone. Take a much needed break, and come back training LESS, resting and recovering MORE, and training SMARTER not LONGER.

I am very excited to start my new routine and look forward to the positive results. My physique, although very well built, has not changed in a long time and I feel like I was simply in a maintenance state, not a muscle building/defining state.

G-D Bless the Epiphany....