Anyone have experience dealing with Vertigo?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.41%

Anyone have experience dealing with Vertigo?

Hi all, let me preface this with the fact that I have gone to the ER for this a week ago and am going to the doctor today for it.
    So, I'm not one of those people with a serious medical condition who is waiting for forum comments before seeking treatment.
    But, since I respect all of your guys's opinions more than I do most doctors I'm laying it out there anyways.

About 2 weeks ago I was at comic-con when I got a sudden dizzy spell and felt like I was going to pass out. I really dreaded passing out and having to go to the first aid station with all the nerds with nose-bleeds, so I wrote it off as motion sickness and sat for awhile to let it pass. It did go away and was gone for about 24 hours.

However, since then a feeling of dizziness has lingered to varying degrees. I am still working out and it has not effected my lifting performance at all, although it can be a little uncomfortable, I was able to hit a deadlift PR on Tuesday.

It's worse when I read, especially when at a computer. It kind of feels like I am being pulled to the left when I am typing or reading at a computer - thank god that's only 98% of my job.(the other 2% is spent in the bathroom and at the coffee maker).

It almost feels gone when I am driving or lying down on my back.

I should also note that my glasses are way out of date and I am getting an eye exam today anyway so looking through those ancient bad script specs could definitely be contributing.

I went to the ER a week ago because I figured the urgent care would waste 2 hours of my time and send me there anyways when it was busier.
    The doctor gave me an EKG, took blood, and urine. I checked out clean on all except my CPK level was around 700. The doc at this point just assumed it was my kidneys, blamed my protein intake, and said I must be dehydrated.

I should mention that I had engaged in a very intense weight lifting session less than 24 hours prior to this lab so of course it was higher. Even after a kidney ultrasound and urine screen came out perfectly, she wouldn't drop the accusation that it is my protein. So she basically ignored the vertigo and went after a non existent kidney problem. She gave me some IV fluids which didn't make a difference.

Note: I used to work at this ER and know the doctor, she is competant but she is veeeeeerrrry hard headed and particular so I'm not surprised she didn't want to deviate from what she thought was wrong. But I left there just as dizzy as I went in.

My white blood cell count was low, at 3.4, which the doc said could be indicative of a virus.
    What I'm hoping is I just have some inner ear viral infection that isn't causing pain and will run its course, I'll keep praying for that one.

Besides increasing fluids and cutting down on caffeine, I haven't really tried any home remedies because I'm not sure what there is available for it.
    I bought some stuff called di-vertigo at the CVS and besides smelling nice and hippyish, the one dose I have taken hasn't seemed to be doing much.

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this? Any success stories? Any ancient home remedies that I am missing?
    Could it just be my ancient glasses and eye strain that set it off? Why can't doctors differentiate between lab values that your average lardass has vs athletes?

Based on my totally illegitimate man on the street layman's research, it seems like BPPV, but then again, what the F do I know?

I look forward to hearing your responses and critique of my line of thinking!

Thanks in advance.

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'0"  114 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.97%

Quote Originally Posted by rambo679 View Post
    Hi all, let me preface this with the fact that I have gone to the ER for this a week ago and am going to the doctor today for it.
    So, I'm not one of those people with a serious medical condition who is waiting for forum comments before seeking treatment.
    But, since I respect all of your guys's opinions more than I do most doctors I'm laying it out there anyways.

About 2 weeks ago I was at comic-con when I got a sudden dizzy spell and felt like I was going to pass out. I really dreaded passing out and having to go to the first aid station with all the nerds with nose-bleeds, so I wrote it off as motion sickness and sat for awhile to let it pass. It did go away and was gone for about 24 hours.

However, since then a feeling of dizziness has lingered to varying degrees. I am still working out and it has not effected my lifting performance at all, although it can be a little uncomfortable, I was able to hit a deadlift PR on Tuesday.

It's worse when I read, especially when at a computer. It kind of feels like I am being pulled to the left when I am typing or reading at a computer - thank god that's only 98% of my job.(the other 2% is spent in the bathroom and at the coffee maker).

It almost feels gone when I am driving or lying down on my back.

I should also note that my glasses are way out of date and I am getting an eye exam today anyway so looking through those ancient bad script specs could definitely be contributing.

I went to the ER a week ago because I figured the urgent care would waste 2 hours of my time and send me there anyways when it was busier.
    The doctor gave me an EKG, took blood, and urine. I checked out clean on all except my CPK level was around 700. The doc at this point just assumed it was my kidneys, blamed my protein intake, and said I must be dehydrated.

I should mention that I had engaged in a very intense weight lifting session less than 24 hours prior to this lab so of course it was higher. Even after a kidney ultrasound and urine screen came out perfectly, she wouldn't drop the accusation that it is my protein. So she basically ignored the vertigo and went after a non existent kidney problem. She gave me some IV fluids which didn't make a difference.

Note: I used to work at this ER and know the doctor, she is competant but she is veeeeeerrrry hard headed and particular so I'm not surprised she didn't want to deviate from what she thought was wrong. But I left there just as dizzy as I went in.

My white blood cell count was low, at 3.4, which the doc said could be indicative of a virus.
    What I'm hoping is I just have some inner ear viral infection that isn't causing pain and will run its course, I'll keep praying for that one.

Besides increasing fluids and cutting down on caffeine, I haven't really tried any home remedies because I'm not sure what there is available for it.
    I bought some stuff called di-vertigo at the CVS and besides smelling nice and hippyish, the one dose I have taken hasn't seemed to be doing much.

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this? Any success stories? Any ancient home remedies that I am missing?
    Could it just be my ancient glasses and eye strain that set it off? Why can't doctors differentiate between lab values that your average lardass has vs athletes?

Based on my totally illegitimate man on the street layman's research, it seems like BPPV, but then again, what the F do I know?

I look forward to hearing your responses and critique of my line of thinking!

Thanks in advance.
    Regarding my medical experience, I would like to ask you how old are you and are you taking any kind of prescription meds or OTC meds, supps I would like to know too. There's many causes of vertigo. First thing that comes to your head is definitely an ear infection. Sometimes you don't have to have pain in order to diagnose an ear infection. So this is the first thin I would check out. Other reason are anemia, low blood pressure, lack of sleep etc etc etc. I can keep on going with tons of possible diagnosis. The treatment for this is very simple an works immediately, we usually prescribe a brain oxygenator which is fantastic if all of the other possible diagnoses aren't present. This pills supply your brain with oxygen and make the vertigo disappear. The patient feels energized and the vertigo disappears instantaneously. We also prescribe iron. In our country people suffered with anemia pretty bad and this also helps them with this kind of things like vertigo or dizzy spells. But this is America so I don't know what they'll give you, and if they'll find something else. Good luck and hope you feel better!
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.41%

Thanks for the reply and thanks for reminding me about my other disclaimer:

No health problems(shoulder injuries not withstanding)
    No drugs
    Supplements(currently):
    Orange triad
    White flood
    Melatonin
    Magnesium
    Whey(naturally)
    Coffee(counting it for fun)
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.41%

Also I'm 29 years old.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'0"  114 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.97%

Thanks for the reply and thanks for reminding me about my other disclaimer:

No health problems(shoulder injuries not withstanding)
    No drugs
    Supplements(currently):
    Orange triad
    White flood
    Melatonin
    Magnesium
    Whey(naturally)
    Coffee(counting it for fun)
    Ok, I wouldn't think the supps are the problem and since there's no drug or alcohol history I would ask the Dr. to check your ears, if everything's comes out clear, your hemoglobin is important to see if there's any anemia. Lack of sleep? This is another important thing to ask. Sleep deprivation can cause dizzy spells. So you understand, dizzy spells appear when there is lack of oxygen to the brain. Dehydration or lack of minerals and vitamins can also cause dizzy spells. Did you have an EKG done? What about a brain cat scan? I love to go to the Dr. and let them know what I think I have and what I would like to have done. Good thing I'm a foreign medical graduate. Please let me know if you have any questions or would like to just know what the Dr. means or is trying to look for.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.41%

Thanks so much for lending me your knowledge on this one. Ill keep you posted and bother you if I have any question

I've been sleeping very good this last week. The first week this was bothering me I was sleeping crappy but I had just come back from vacation and that always happens. I

I'm in the office right now.

My BP was high, 150/85. But for some reason I always read high at the doctors.

Had it rechecked it was 130/80.

No real answers, she said she would order an MRI if I want. My right eye might be lazy and to let my OD know when I go today.

Since I'm more light-headed than dizzy she says its not vertigo.

One question, what is a healthy CPK level for a weight lifter? Is 700 concern for rhabdo?
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'0"  114 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.97%

Thanks so much for lending me your knowledge on this one. Ill keep you posted and bother you if I have any question

I've been sleeping very good this last week. The first week this was bothering me I was sleeping crappy but I had just come back from vacation and that always happens. I

No real answers, she said she would order an MRI if I want. My right eye might be lazy and to let my OD know when I go today.

One question, what is a healthy CPK level for a weight lifter? Is 700 concern for rhabdo?
    Usually a lot of people aren't aware about the white coat syndrome, which is catalogued as a slight increase of blood pressure once into a clinical/medical setting or when the Dr. or nurse approaches. Some people get a little nervous or anxious and tend to have this known as the white coat syndrome. To seal the diagnose of rabdo, there has to be other things elevated as well like potassium, creatine, uric acid etc while others have to be low like calcium and the ph. There has to be presence of physical symptoms as well. So the diagnosis of rabdo will not merely depend on the presence of high or elevated cpk. Regarding the dizzy spells. Make sure you breath in deeply while exercising. Hyperventilation can also cause dizzy spells. Do you had blood work? If so what was your hemoglobin?
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'0"  114 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.97%

There's over the counter meds that can help increase blood flow to your brain and that can aid on oxygen flow. Folic acid and vit b12 are great together. They can increase red blood cells promoting more blood and oxygen flow into your brain, alpha lipoic acid, acethyl l carnitine and ginko. Give them a shot and keep your body hydrated through out the day as well.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.41%

I will try those OTC supplements in the mean time.

I definitely have white coat syndrome and I think it's worse because I know of its high they might pursue that instead of what's actually wrong with me.

I will transcribe my labs that I got for you guys. CPK was high, BUN was a little over the high range. Calcium normal, urine ph was 7, no protein in the urine.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'0"  114 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.97%

I will try those OTC supplements in the mean time.

I definitely have white coat syndrome and I think it's worse because I know of its high they might pursue that instead of what's actually wrong with me.

I will transcribe my labs that I got for you guys. CPK was high, BUN was a little over the high range. Calcium normal, urine ph was 7, no protein in the urine.
    Give this OTC supps a try and like I said drink more water than usual even if you don't really want water. And let me know if I can help with anything else. Hope you feel better
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.41%

Here are some lab values I meant to post earlier, left them at home.
    Red Blood Cells: 4.93
    Hemoglobin: 15.1
    White Blood Cells: 3.4
    Sodium: 142
    Potassium: 4.5
    Chloride: 108
    Glucose: 95
    Bun: 23
    Creatinine: 1.4
    Calcium:9.0
    CPK: 785
    Troponin: 0.02
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'0"  114 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.97%

Here are some lab values I meant to post earlier, left them at home.
    Red Blood Cells: 4.93
    Hemoglobin: 15.1
    White Blood Cells: 3.4
    Sodium: 142
    Potassium: 4.5
    Chloride: 108
    Glucose: 95
    Bun: 23
    Creatinine: 1.4
    Calcium:9.0
    CPK: 785
    Troponin: 0.02
    Normal values. BUN is going to be a little elevated on people who have a diet high in protein, so don't worry about that. No anemia either. I would consider maybe other causes like I mention. Dehydration plays a big role there as I mentioned as well as lack of sleep. Try the oct meds and if you still have this dizzy spells I would give it a shot with the MRI just to make sure everything is ok up there, with no clogged arteries or anything compromising oxygen flow.

Similar Forum Threads

1. anyone have experience with hydration scales?
    By pinchharmonic in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-20-2009, 05:01 AM
  2. Anyone have experiance with these "stealth" oils?
    By orangutan in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-20-2009, 09:59 PM
  3. Can HCG cause depresssion? Anyone have experience with this?
    By anyman in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 08-07-2007, 12:39 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-07-2005, 02:05 AM
  5. Anyone have experience with running two orals?
    By Izzman in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-27-2004, 11:17 AM