1. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.71%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I found this interesting.

I keep seeing posts about bodybuilding myths and one of the most recurring points is that you don't need to eat 6+ times a day, While it may not be required to loose fat it seems it might be optimal.

Increased protein intake and meal fr... [Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013] - PubMed - NCBI

Protein-rich slimming diet works even better with six meals a day
    ForeRunner Labs
    The Future of Human Performance
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/pics/229429-my-fat-mess.html

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.38%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Subbed.
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.56%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Sub'd

Here we go again with the meal fequency debate again

Sort of goes againsnt the I-F theories that have become popular as of late.

I'll defer to the board smarties
    A-Minds HYPE-SLAYER! All posts & feedback are guaranteed to be unsolicited and legit
    "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom & instruction"
    Proverbs 1:7
    •   

4. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.98%

Eh, I don't need some study or uppity scientists to tell me when I need to eat...I know I will be hungry, very unpleasant to be around, and paranoid about catabolism, if I don't eat every couple of hours...
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.78%

If i dont eat every 3 hours or so, i get paranoid and crazy
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.71%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Math33 View Post
    If i dont eat every 3 hours or so, i get paranoid and crazy
    Honestly for me its become such a habit my body seem to crave food at certain interleaves, but that is basically no different then pavlov's dogs.
    ForeRunner Labs
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.98%

I don't think every 3 hours is necessary but it does help me keep my diet on track and keep me away from junk food
  8. Enhanced Body Formulations
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.13%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by harbonah View Post
    Honestly for me its become such a habit my body seem to crave food at certain interleaves, but that is basically no different then pavlov's dogs.
    I'm content with my 2 huge meals a day.
    Enhanced Body Formulations Product Educator

For any questions on our products that need a quick response, please email me directly
    EnhancedBodyFormulations@gmail .com
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.71%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by EBF Inc View Post
    I'm content with my 2 huge meals a day.
    Same idea applies Pavlov's dogs
    ForeRunner Labs
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.88%
    Achievements Activity Pro

Has I am sure this has been discussed on this forum a billion times, my thoughts are no you dont need to eat 6 times a day. If your theory is to keep "the fire burning" they why not eat every 15 min? or every 30 min?

Second, there are plenty of times that I dont eat any more then 4 times a day, including pre/post workout. It is all about what you put in your body. And this is where supplementation comes into play. I big idea behind eating so often is the fire burning thing, but many nutritionists actually feel you get the most out of your food this way by breaking up your daily macros so you can get the most vitamins and such out of the food you eat. But if you are like anyone else, you probably take a minimum of a multi-vitamin.

Bodybuilders that I know of, eat upwards of 10+ times a day just to fit all their macro's in. Have to eat big to get big. And there is only so much food you can fit in your body at any one given time.
    iForce Nutrition Anabolics Minion Member
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate
    iForce Nutrition -www.iForceNutrition.com
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.71%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by veaderko View Post
    Has I am sure this has been discussed on this forum a billion times, my thoughts are no you dont need to eat 6 times a day. If your theory is to keep "the fire burning" they why not eat every 15 min? or every 30 min?

Second, there are plenty of times that I dont eat any more then 4 times a day, including pre/post workout. It is all about what you put in your body. And this is where supplementation comes into play. I big idea behind eating so often is the fire burning thing, but many nutritionists actually feel you get the most out of your food this way by breaking up your daily macros so you can get the most vitamins and such out of the food you eat. But if you are like anyone else, you probably take a minimum of a multi-vitamin.

Bodybuilders that I know of, eat upwards of 10+ times a day just to fit all their macro's in. Have to eat big to get big. And there is only so much food you can fit in your body at any one given time.
    Well the study seems to indicate an advantage to eating more often, personal preference aside we want every advantage we can get right? It would seem there is something to that analogy of keeping the fire burning if you read the last paragraph of the article it says "clearly highlights the profound impact of increased dietary protein and meal frequency on thermogenesis and body composition."

Diet is not my strongest area but that being said I find this interesting as everyone keeps blasting the fire burning analogy. There might be a limiting factor to it hence the reason every 15 minutes would be of no more potential benefit. But then I know of no study comparing every 15 minutes to every hour, two hours, three hours...so on you get the point.
    ForeRunner Labs
  12. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.88%

Well the study seems to indicate an advantage to eating more often, personal preference aside we want every advantage we can get right? It would seem there is something to that analogy of keeping the fire burning if you read the last paragraph of the article it says "clearly highlights the profound impact of increased dietary protein and meal frequency on thermogenesis and body composition."

Diet is not my strongest area but that being said I find this interesting as everyone keeps blasting the fire burning analogy. There might be a limiting factor to it hence the reason every 15 minutes would be of no more potential benefit. But then I know of no study comparing every 15 minutes to every hour, two hours, three hours...so on you get the point.
    Oh, I understand what you are saying. And in the end, I would say it boils down to what you like to do. I have a friend who also competes and is very strict with IF. I compete, and though I do try to eat often because simply I get hungry to, I am by no means on any set schedule. Obviously if you eat a very large meal and you are not use to this, you will probably bloat up and feel like you just had your 4th helping at thanksgiving. On the other hand you eat smaller meals, your body gets use to eating that frequent and you become hungry at those intervalls. I find that the study (which are done all the time) dont really give enough information to see. Every one is different, and react differently. For instance, I tried the IF approach to dieting, it works great. But I found that with my busy schedule of working full time, going to school full time plus other extra stuff, it just wasnt for me, but works great for my friend. So in the end, I guess I am trying to say is just find what works best for you and stick to that. A study is just a study done with a select group of people.
    iForce Nutrition Anabolics Minion Member
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate
    iForce Nutrition -www.iForceNutrition.com
  13. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.27%

i think its the increased protein not the increased meal frequency causing higher thermogenesis. Protein does by far have the highest tef. Also what about the improved insulin sensitivity from longer fasting periods, which would have a better effect on body composition.
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.83%

IF gives me growth gut.
    PES ALPHAMINE Log
    h ttp://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213082-pes-alphamine-log.html
  15. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.07%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

I honestly believe the total calories at the end of the day are what matters the most. I also believe it became multiple meals because these huge BB'ers just had to break things up in order to consume the amount they need...clean type of cals that is.
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.38%

Quote Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF View Post
    I honestly believe the total calories at the end of the day are what matters the most. I also believe it became multiple meals because these huge BB'ers just had to break things up in order to consume the amount they need...clean type of cals that is.

Heyyyyyy a logical common sense answer. Nice to see these.
  17. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.71%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF View Post
    I do think that total calories would be the most important factor in determining if one will gain or loose weight and you are probably correct on how the diet started. But the question I think that is asked by this article is what is more efficient for weight loss? As rhoadx said it might be the increased protein frequency but I think more studies are needed to determine if this was the cause or simply the frequency of the meals consumed?
    ForeRunner Labs
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.96%

I do think that total calories would be the most important factor in determining if one will gain or loose weight and you are probably correct on how the diet started. But the question I think that is asked by this article is what is more efficient for weight loss? As rhoadx said it might be the increased protein frequency but I think more studies are needed to determine if this was the cause or simply the frequency of the meals consumed?

That's interesting to say the least. total calories imho very important, and to lose weight I'd say you got this query correct... that's something that needs to be studied too but needless to say, how frequent you take protes with your total calories .. a combo of both right in the middle.
  19. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.2%

I've always done what seems natural and ate every couple of hours. I like to call it grazing. I still eat breakfast lunch and dinner but plan healthy snacks throughout the day to keep my metabolism pumping!
  20. I know nothing...
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.54%

It all depends on your goals. Are you trying to be healthy, lose weight, or build crazy muscles? Many studies regarding intermittent fasting show tons of health benefits such as increase in HGH up to 2000%, increase in insulin sensitivity, etc. I personally ate 5-6 times a day for years. But about 5 months ago I started IF and so far it is the best thing I have ever done for my body. I feel better, stronger, faster and the biggest thing is my blood pressure went down. I inherited high BP from my mom and I was never able to get it under control. 140/90 was my normal. Right now it is 110/75. I've never had such low BP in my entire life!!!
  21. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.69%

Limiting returns and best practice...
    Quote Originally Posted by veaderko View Post

Similar Forum Threads

1. Found this article on "How to use DNP"
    By MGH1982 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-21-2005, 01:31 AM
  2. Just found this pik...
    By refrieddreams in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-28-2005, 07:54 PM
  3. found this pic of my dog
    By Beelzebub in forum General Chat
    Replies: 15