Modified Paleo plan and energy

67nova

Awards
I was wondering if anyone that even follows a strict paleo was having energy problems.

I followed it to a tee for a few weeks and with intense training and laborious work I blew out fast and took almost 2months to recover and start getting alittle energy back.

I felt my body starting to shut down and added raw milk,kerfir for more protein/cho/fat I just don't like eating a lot of fruit so then I added alittle sweet potatoes here and there about 2oz a time.

This helped very little,better w/o's but crapping days(fatigue/low energy)Im not trying to bulk nor cut as im humbled at weight and b/f % (7-8%)just not happy with feeling like a big pile most of the day.

Not overtrained,no gland problems just feeling worn out.Please shed some light on this for me.I also don't count cals just try to get macro's everyday(180-200pro/75-100cho,130-150fat whatever that comes to.?

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Eat more.

Paleo doesnt dictate calorie intake nor macro splits, it just dictates food selection.

Sweet potatoes, red potatoes, white rice, steak, beef, organs, fish, eggs and a wide variety of vegetables and fruit.

All of these foods would qualify as paleo choices and can easily fit into whatever diet you choose to follow.

67nova

Awards
Thanks buddy.Cant stomach rice(white or brown)but did buy quinioa again as for red meat im eating a ton of it along with veggies and mybe 1-2 full serv of fruit a day.Free-range eggs(cheaper and 100yrds away)raw milk not for paleo but its 2miles away(creamery)live in the sticks so got a lot of fruit/veggie stands within a 2mile area.

PROness

Awards
All you will ever need to know about paleo:

"Eat with abandon: meat, fowl, fish, seafood, eggs, vegetables, roots, tubers, bulbs, herbs and spices as well as animal fats, olives & olive oil, avocados, and coconut (meat, oil, flour)

Limit: nuts, seeds, and fruit.
Better choices in the nut category include macadamias, cashews, and hazelnuts. Almonds aren’t terrible. Seeds are generally rich sources of linoleic acid because they can be eaten in large quantities (the serving sizes are typically in the tablespoon to 1/4 cup range and can be misleading). Sunflower and sesame seeds are a terrible choices in the seed category. Soaking nuts prior to consumption is recommended but not necessary.

Reduce the serving size if you are going to pick a fruit that has a high metabolic fructose content.

Avoid: Cereal grains including: all varieties of wheat (spelt, einkorn, emmer, durum), barley, rye, oats, triticale, corn (maize), rice (including wild rice), sorghum, millet, fonio, and teff and legumes.

Grain-like substances or pseudocereals including: Amaranth, Breadnut, Buckwheat, Cattail, Chia, Cockscomb, Kañiwa, Pitseed Goosefoot, Quinoa, and Wattleseed (aka aacacia seed). Pseudocereals are the seeds of broad leaf plants whereas grains are the seeds of grasses."

-CFFB

Now as far as your lack of energy goes... your carbs should be coming from primarily vegetable sources (A LOT of vegetables) and you should be consuming a great deal of animal fats, oils, seeds, nuts, tubers, and roots to compensate for the loss of all grains. I will refrain from slapping Judo Josh for suggesting without a doubt some the worst carbs you could eat on paleo given their ridiculously high GI rating and the fact that they're grain based, but that's okay.

If you have any other questions I would check out Robb Wolfs website which pretty much has everything you will ever need to know about paleo; more specifically check out the forums there.

67nova

Awards
Thanks that's how I was eating and lost all energy,since I added dairy,sweet potatoes and upped fruit alittle im starting to get some kick/strength back.
With a high energy demand theres noway im getting enough cho from veggies nor even wanting to eat that much of them(I like them a lot but geez)were talking 8lb of brussel sprouts a day compared to the 5lb of veggies I already eat a day!

Strict Paleo isn't for me.Times change and cavemen didn't train hard and work there butt of on cars all day either.Mybe the rare sprint to run from being attacted or getting food.

Think i'll go with a mid-evil time meal plan,they lived alittle longer and looked a lot better.LOL!Going with whatever the h$# works for me!I'd eat the ass out of a pig if it would give me energy and no after taste.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lol PROness

I am sure you are much more well versed in your understanding of paleo nutrition than me. Please enlighten me as to what was it that I said which almost got me e-slapped.

PROness

Awards
Thanks that's how I was eating and lost all energy,since I added dairy,sweet potatoes and upped fruit alittle im starting to get some kick/strength back.
With a high energy demand theres noway im getting enough cho from veggies nor even wanting to eat that much of them(I like them a lot but geez)were talking 8lb of brussel sprouts a day compared to the 5lb of veggies I already eat a day!

Strict Paleo isn't for me.Times change and cavemen didn't train hard and work there butt of on cars all day either.Mybe the rare sprint to run from being attacted or getting food.

Think i'll go with a mid-evil time meal plan,they lived alittle longer and looked a lot better.LOL!Going with whatever the h$# works for me!I'd eat the ass out of a pig if it would give me energy and no after taste.
Eliminating foods youve been eating your entire life for energy (grain based carbs) with whole paleo foods like veggies, roots, and tubers isn't going to happen overnight. To be quite frank, it sucks at first, it really sucks. But if you stick with it and you're doing it RIGHT your body will adapt. Paleo sucks mentally and that's why people tend to stay away from it.

Just some food for thought, no pun intended.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
67nova mind posting a sample of eating?

Also prior to the dietary switch was your workout and other exhausting lifestyle habits (school, work, etc) the same?

PROness

Awards
Lol PROness

I am sure you are much more well versed in your understanding of paleo nutrition than me. Please enlighten me as to what was it that I said which almost got me e-slapped.
Visit robb wolfs website (joe weider/louie simmons/gracie) of paleo and click on the "what is paleo" tab and read me the "avoid" column. Paleo with the carbs you mentioned is just a bodybuilders diet. (Flesh, veggies, sweet poatato/rice)

Pypp

Pypp

Awards
  • Established
Paleo's the best, been doing 90% paleo (ill eat oats every now and then) for a year now. Make sure to eat enough fats and protein in and energy levels should be the eat you ever had.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Now can you explain *why* whatever food I suggested should be avoided? Just because Wolfe said so? What makes him an authority? Why not Cordain? Or Sisson? Or whoever else chooses to write about this diet?

PROness

Awards
Now can you explain *why* whatever food I suggested should be avoided? Just because Wolfe said so? What makes him an authority? Why not Cordain? Or Sisson? Or whoever else chooses to write about this diet?
10000 years ago we weren't cultivating yams and harvesting rice we were hunter gatherers. That's the basis of paleo... if it wasn't readily available or caused damage to the body then it wasn't eaten. End of story. Paleo is a proformance first diet and any other foods "added" in are for aesthetic and satiety purposes.

Or as Riddik would say: You keep what you kill. That's the basis of paleo.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Cordain is far more of an authority on Paleo than Wolfe. There wouldn't be a Paleo movement if it weren't for Cordain.

PROness

Awards
Cordain is far more of an authority on Paleo than Wolfe. There wouldn't be a Paleo movement if it weren't for Cordain.
Its all based on preference and how far you want to go with it. Personally i side with robb because i usually take the "hardcore" route and anything that may cost me even the smallest advantage in performance i will avoid. In a TRUE paleo diet grains, cereals, and starches fit that bill so they should be avoided.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its all based on preference and how far you want to go with it. Personally i side with robb because i usually take the "hardcore" route and anything that may cost me even the smallest advantage in performance i will avoid. In a TRUE paleo diet grains, cereals, and starches fit that bill so they should be avoided.
Guess who came up with the concept of Paleo. Hint: it isn't Wolfe. Sweet potatoes are recommended by Cordain himself for refeeds for athletes and you talk a very large game with very little to back it up. What's funny is that it is quite documented that Paleo man did indeed eat grains on occasion, but did not make it a staple in their diet. JJ recommended one grain and GI is an irrelevant and outdated concept that has very little meaning to anyone eating a balanced meal as the inclusion of fats, fiber, and protein vastly alter the GI.

PROness

Awards
Guess who came up with the concept of Paleo. Hint: it isn't Wolfe. Sweet potatoes are recommended by Cordain himself for refeeds for athletes and you talk a very large game with very little to back it up. What's funny is that it is quite documented that Paleo man did indeed eat grains on occasion, but did not make it a staple in their diet. JJ recommended one grain and GI is an irrelevant and outdated concept that has very little meaning to anyone eating a balanced meal as the inclusion of fats, fiber, and protein vastly alter the GI.
1.Grains and cereals are pro-inflammatory and inhibit the bodies potential to recovery.

2. Occasionally means not with every meal like most who "claim" they eat paleo. Eating rice and potatoes every meal is not paleo... or optimal... sorry bout it. :(

3. That's funny because it says right here on his website that grains and potatoes are to be completely avoided. And in his book the paleo diet for athletes it says the same thing... that's funny he would contradict himself twice. :/ Or did you not read the book?

Shall i pull the studies for my first point or will you take my word for it this once?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
1.Grains and cereals are pro-inflammatory and inhibit the bodies potential to recovery.2. Occasionally means not with every meal like most who "claim" they eat paleo. Eating rice and potatoes every meal is not paleo... or optimal... sorry bout it. :(3. That's funny because it says right here on his website that grains and potatoes are to be completely avoided. And in his book the paleo diet for athletes it says the same thing... that's funny he would contradict himself twice. :/ Or did you not read the book?Shall i pull the studies for my first point or will you take my word for it this once?
1. Not all grains and cereals are inflammatory; only the ones that contain gluten are pro-inflammatory. Now, if you're talking PRAL, then that is a different discussion.2. Who said anything about eating them every meal?3. I have Cordain's Paleo for Athletes on my shelf. On page 60, Cordain recommends potatoes and sweet potatoes are good choices for recovery. Have you even read it?

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
1. Not all grains and cereals are inflammatory; only the ones that contain gluten are pro-inflammatory. Now, if you're talking PRAL, then that is a different discussion.2. Who said anything about eating them every meal?3. I have Cordain's Paleo for Athletes on my shelf. On page 60, Cordain recommends potatoes and sweet potatoes are good choices for recovery. Have you even read it?
Lolz.

BigRigg

BigRigg

Awards
I was in the understanding that most cereals and grains are pro inflamatory because they are more commonly GMO, and thay organic non gmo wheats were less inflamatory/anti inflamatory. Dont remember where I picked that up. I need to read this paleo book by cordain. Sounds interesting

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was in the understanding that most cereals and grains are pro inflamatory because they are more commonly GMO, and thay organic non gmo wheats were less inflamatory/anti inflamatory. Dont remember where I picked that up. I need to read this paleo book by cordain. Sounds interesting
It's impossible to say what level of deleterious effects that GMO foods will have, but I agree that they're far from good for you. However, the part that we can definitively say is inflammatory is the gluten as evidenced here:

J Physiol Biochem. 2010 Jun;66(2):153-9. Epub 2010 Jun 1.
Gliadins induce TNFalpha production through cAMP-dependent protein kinase A activation in intestinal cells (Caco-2).

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nope. The culprit is gluten. Non-organic wheat will have the same effect as organic wheat.

If your looking for a book I would suggest Sissons book over Cordains

PROness

Awards
Wow someone needs to get out more... i know a great spot in the hofc haha

Anyways... you're trying to tell me that BOTH robb wolf and cordain are contradicting themselves. I don't see it on page 60...

How long have you been on paleo anyways? I'm curious. :/

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wow someone needs to get out more... i know a great spot in the hofc haha

Anyways... you're trying to tell me that BOTH robb wolf and cordain are contradicting themselves. I don't see it on page 60...

How long have you been on paleo anyways? I'm curious. :/
If you had Paleo for Athletes by Cordain, then you'd find it. I no longer eat Paleo, but that's irrelevant to the discussion.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you had Paleo for Athletes by Cordain, then you'd find it. I no longer eat Paleo, but that's irrelevant to the discussion.
Why is that? Still avoiding gluten?

I have stopped associating my diet ideology as paleo. Since its growing popularity it has become rather cultish and fanatical

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
How oh how did I miss this thread. Proness, if you are indeed hardcore paleo I suggest you start eating insects (and their larvae), eat ALL parts of a wild slain beast (heart, livers, kidneys etc. as it is VERY doubtful that a real hunter gatherer would have left any parts behind).

The Paleo diet is not intended to be a historical reinactment, period. Doing so would benear impossible given the climate in which we now live.

Further: "There is no one paleo diet.

Who’s saying that? Humans have spanned the globe for millennia, surviving and even thriving in environments ranging from tropical to temperate, from arctic to near-aquatic, all the while subsisting on the wild foods available to those regions. Same basic diet of animals and plants, different configurations.

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-it-all-just-a-paleofantasy/#ixzz2YRY2Bzhw"

I no longer eat Paleo, given how expensive food is here, constructing the "ideal" diet was out of my means however I still avoid Gluten but maximise my fruit, rice and vegetable intake.

67nova

Awards
Holy moly guys settle down!I followed strict paleo for 3 months and felt worse and I always have ate clean.

I never had a real cheat meal in over 5years and I make sure I do everything to a tee.
That being said I refuse to overtrain yet again or have to train to a lesser degree for not eating dairy,tubelers.But most important having a neg impact on my workday.

If it makes a sound i'll cook and eat it,comes from the ground or a bush i'll eat it,noway I can cut out dairy(greek yogurt,kerfir)as it helps digest the food I eat.Im not eating tubs/gallons of yogurt/milk or eating a lot of starchs and no grains at all.Sweet potatoes might come to 4-6oz all day.

I keep starchs,milk around workouts and have 1-2 fruit rest of day with a butt load of meat and fat(coconut meat/oil,almonds/walnuts,ghlee,avocadoes)other then chicken some times all meat is local and grass fed,always been.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Were you on it for a few weeks or a few months? The first post said a few weeks and now you're saying a few months which can make a bit of a difference, especially if the Paleo diet coincided with a drop in carbohydrates (becoming low carb adapted). If you drop carbs, then expect to feel like garbage for a a few weeks and the body learns to adapt to a new source of fuel.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why is that? Still avoiding gluten?

I have stopped associating my diet ideology as paleo. Since its growing popularity it has become rather cultish and fanatical
It's mainly laziness. I refrain from gluten about 90% of the time still, though.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Lifestyle. Paleo is a cult now. Associated with crossfit.

I will add a protein shake in and use starches and tubers post workout.

Keep it simple as both Rodja and Josh have told me MANY times.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know its not an easy task. If it makes you feel any better Chris, I also have a tendency to overcomplicate and over think choices myself.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
I know its not an easy task. If it makes you feel any better Chris, I also have a tendency to overcomplicate and over think choices myself.
I know, just get mindfuked and over complicate everything. Meat, veg, healthy fats, carbs post workout. Why is THAT so hard. Robb Wolf says others turn every meal into a science experiment when being so finicky about everything.

67nova

Awards
Were you on it for a few weeks or a few months? The first post said a few weeks and now you're saying a few months which can make a bit of a difference, especially if the Paleo diet coincided with a drop in carbohydrates (becoming low carb adapted). If you drop carbs, then expect to feel like garbage for a a few weeks and the body learns to adapt to a new source of fuel.
Months my man.A few weeks(5-7) without yogurt then had to drink kerfir to digest all my grub as a lot wasn't getting digested

67nova

Awards
I actually started by cutting out all grains(still do)and starchs,then went on full blown paleo as I heard it made you feel great.Didnt work for me and body should of switched to burning fat/pro by the time I even made the switch.

Now it feels like im walking a fine line bordering overtraining.I know my routine is dead on but my macros aren't.Body doesn't burn fat for the way I train and want to feel again(ton of energy)

One thing I notice is I lost a lot of strength some time ago and im getting it all back and alittle more.But my endurance is completely shot for the most part,have good set of tempo runs one week and like this morning couldn't even jog 400m.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
I actually started by cutting out all grains(still do)and starchs,then went on full blown paleo as I heard it made you feel great.Didnt work for me and body should of switched to burning fat/pro by the time I even made the switch.
it takes time for your body to go through the withdrawal of the loss of sugar. it can take over a month. then your body needs to start to learn to become more efficient at using fat/body fat for fuel. its not an overnight change.

vassille

Awards
I was wondering if anyone that even follows a strict paleo was having energy problems.

I followed it to a tee for a few weeks and with intense training and laborious work I blew out fast and took almost 2months to recover and start getting alittle energy back.

I felt my body starting to shut down and added raw milk,kerfir for more protein/cho/fat I just don't like eating a lot of fruit so then I added alittle sweet potatoes here and there about 2oz a time.

This helped very little,better w/o's but crapping days(fatigue/low energy)Im not trying to bulk nor cut as im humbled at weight and b/f % (7-8%)just not happy with feeling like a big pile most of the day.

Not overtrained,no gland problems just feeling worn out.Please shed some light on this for me.I also don't count cals just try to get macro's everyday(180-200pro/75-100cho,130-150fat whatever that comes to.?
Like someone else mentioned you just need to eat more. I follow a paleo diet too not strict but very selective with my food. I dropped anything with gluten (my choice) and what I found from trial and error I need to eat a fair amount of fat and calories in general to mantain a decent energy level. My breakfast alone is around 1100 calories. Next two meals I incorporate rice, patatoes, fruit, protein then Im back on greens/fat/protein for my last two meals. So you may need to ramp up caloric intake and evaluate from there.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
100g of is hard to adapt to, and other stressors may compound the fatigue. I recently went back to higher carb (~180g but no higher than 200) and feel much better (n=1). I did enjoy low carb (~100g) but it wasn't feasible to continue it.

Pypp

Pypp

Awards
  • Established
100g of is hard to adapt to, and other stressors may compound the fatigue. I recently went back to higher carb (~180g but no higher than 200) and feel much better (n=1). I did enjoy low carb (~100g) but it wasn't feasible to continue it.
Everyone's different but once your body adjusts fats a much more steady energy source then carbs. I've done <25g for 6 months first month was hella after that there was a lot more energy.

The body can adjust to what it's given, if you go prolonged period w/o carbs you'll get used to it. But to each their own.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Everyone's different but once your body adjusts fats a much more steady energy source then carbs. I've done <25g for 6 months first month was hella after that there was a lot more energy.

The body can adjust to what it's given, if you go prolonged period w/o carbs you'll get used to it. But to each their own.
For 2 plus months I was doing under 30 grams of carbs a day with refeeds every 5-7 days. Wasn't bad at all.

BigRigg

BigRigg

Awards
For 2 plus months I was doing under 30 grams of carbs a day with refeeds every 5-7 days. Wasn't bad at all.
Yea, as I learn more and more about nutrition I realize that refeeds are a must. Especially since going through my first show prep.

67nova

Awards
I know all about refeeds but when the time comes(or I think it comes)I cant bring myself to eat a ton of cho.

Hence I find it better to get a macro that works for me on a day by day basis.
There's enough stress in life let alone having to worry about when to reefed,or actually waiting for that day when its 4days away.

Not waiting for bady to switch to using fat for energy and feeling worse then I do now and screwing up work or being more miserable working as it is.
Upping cho alittle more each day is helping slightly,thinking 100-150 might be my sweet spot.?

BigRigg

BigRigg

Awards
I'm excited to reverse diet into my off season this year... slowly adding 5-10g carbs and 1-3g fat each week to slowly up my total calories. Stay lean or die trying :D

vassille

Awards
I know all about refeeds but when the time comes(or I think it comes)I cant bring myself to eat a ton of cho.

Hence I find it better to get a macro that works for me on a day by day basis.
There's enough stress in life let alone having to worry about when to reefed,or actually waiting for that day when its 4days away.

Not waiting for bady to switch to using fat for energy and feeling worse then I do now and screwing up work or being more miserable working as it is.
Upping cho alittle more each day is helping slightly,thinking 100-150 might be my sweet spot.?
yes, keeping under 200g.