Can Someone Help to Explain This??

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Answers

Can Someone Help to Explain This??

Alright, for about 12 weeks I was doing a solid cut. Counting cals, doing cardio, weight training, etc. Only supps I used was whey protein, because protein. For the first 6 weeks I had my calories at 1900-2000 and for the second 6 weeks I dropped it to 1600-1800 calories. I went from 160 to 144 in those 12 weeks. Not bad.

Well, as of 5/31 I began my first real bulk. And I've eased into it. Only supps I've added thus far are a multivitamin and crea mono. Nothing real amazing. Tomorrow I'm adding in Condense and D-Pol for my pre-w/o. 1 scoop of each mixed together. Anyway, calorie wise I've bumped it to 2600-2800 a day for the most part (some days I've hit 3200 when I eat out). Despite adding in the calories, near double at that, I seem to have reduced some body fat, particularly in my gut and lower back. Not complaining, since my lifts have all improved remarkably. Went from 225x1 on bench to 215x6 (not the same, but with the math, it's a decent increase).

What I'm getting at here is, why in the world have I seemingly reduced my bodyfat (not tested, just in the mirror), when I've nearly doubled my calories? Yes, my training has been much more intense and much more planned out and methodical (Wendler's 5/3/1 with periodization accessory) and I've gained some strength. Haven't noted any size gains yet, and I measure 2x a month.

If anyone can give me a biological/physiological/nutritional explanation, that would be awesome, as I enjoy learning as much as possible. I have a feeling though that while I was eating such few calories my metabolism slowed down drastically and was preventing my body from utilizing fat stores vs available glycogen due to survival mechanisms. That's just my hunch from what I've read in a few physiology textbooks and nutrition textbooks.

Long post, I know, but I'm detail oriented and tried to include as much as possible that could help. Thanks in advance y'all.
    I'm just trying to bring sexy back.

2. Registered User
    Answers

Not eating enough 2800 is probably your maintenance calories and especially if your training is more intense keep bumping up them cals little by little every week until you start gaining you wanna put on about a pound a week
  3. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

It's called priming. At your age, it's pretty damn hard to get substantial metabolic damage from a cut and the extra calories have refilled glycogen stores leading to an illusion of looking leaner.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    It's called priming. At your age, it's pretty damn hard to get substantial metabolic damage from a cut and the extra calories have refilled glycogen stores leading to an illusion of looking leaner.
    That would actually make sense...that's what bodybuilders do a few days before a show, I guess I was unintentionally doing it, lol
  5. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by DipStrong View Post
    That would actually make sense...that's what bodybuilders do a few days before a show, I guess I was unintentionally doing it, lol
    Not exactly. What they do is much different in that there's a systematic refeed that has to consider water retention and bloat. They intentionally deplete to supercompensate their glycogen stores. It's closer to what a fighter/powerlifter will do than a BB'er.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Answers

Not exactly. What they do is much different in that there's a systematic refeed that has to consider water retention and bloat. They intentionally deplete to supercompensate their glycogen stores. It's closer to what a fighter/powerlifter will do than a BB'er.
    Ohh, guess I didn't have a firm understanding on that. I didn't know powerlifter and/or fighters did it too though, that's somewhat surprising.
  7. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Ohh, guess I didn't have a firm understanding on that. I didn't know powerlifter and/or fighters did it too though, that's somewhat surprising.
    Fighters/PL'ers can cut up to 20-25lbs (depending on their size) the week of their respective competitions and put it back on overnight.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Answers

Fighters/PL'ers can cut up to 20-25lbs (depending on their size) the week of their respective competitions and put it back on overnight.
    Jesus, that's pretty intense. Mostly water weight and depleting glycogen I assume?
  9. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Jesus, that's pretty intense. Mostly water weight and depleting glycogen I assume?
    Yep. There's only a handful of fighters that fight at their contracted weight; most are usually an entire weightclass above by fight time.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-11-2012, 02:32 AM
  2. Can someone correct me on this real quick
    By Squats in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-14-2005, 01:34 PM
  3. powder directions, can someone help?
    By Grifter in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-11-2005, 02:28 AM
  4. Help me Explain This!!
    By BOHICA in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-09-2004, 05:36 PM
  5. Can you help me with this 2nd AAS Cycle?
    By bigryan in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-01-2004, 08:38 PM