Saturated Fats - changing perception?

  1. Saturated Fats - changing perception?


    Got this article through my medscape account and thought it might be worth posting up here. I'm not sure if you can see it if you don't have an account but I don't think it costs anything to sign up.

    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/...l&uac=186467SV

    Lemme know what you guys think. I think they make a couple good points in the article and its good to see that people in the medical/professional community are starting to see the negative stigma on saturated fats might be a little over the top.
    Training log:

    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/267913-jswains-training-log.html


  2. Need password but for the most part, we know that saturated fats are good and not "evil" as the media portrayed.
    iForce Nutrition Representative
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate…iForce!
    www.iforcenutrition.com

  3. Eh damn. Yah I know that we know this but I just had a nutrition class in college and the professor was a practicing nutritionist and she literally portrayed saturated fats as the devil. So I just thought it was good to see that the professional community is starting to realize they were/could have been wrong
    Training log:

    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/267913-jswains-training-log.html
    •   
       


  4. My experience with collegiate nutrition classes is that they are still proponents of the low-fat persuasion and are just a little behind the times when it comes to fat consumption and the positive effects they can have.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  5. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    My experience with collegiate nutrition classes is that they are still proponents of the low-fat persuasion and are just a little behind the times when it comes to fat consumption and the positive effects they can have.
    Your perception is 100% correct. It drove me nuts to say the least. All my classmates that were on my baseball team turned into the biggest bros. "let's go lift and then pound some sugar and carbs", "carbs are so important bro", "that's why your tired bro, its cuz you don't eat very many carbs bro". It was funny cuz I was like top 3 strongest on the team. But carbs are so important bro.

    Sorry, I might have got a little carried away there.
    Training log:

    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/267913-jswains-training-log.html

  6. On a related note, I don't see the whole "low fat" selling point ever going away. It's everywhere in marketing, even though there's no science behind its validity.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by R1187
    On a related note, I don't see the whole "low fat" selling point ever going away. It's everywhere in marketing, even though there's no science behind its validity.
    After so much brain washing and lobbying it is hard to change.

  8. In their defence, there is a link between small LDL particles and heart disease. The issue here is that a lot of blood work done only includes total LDL count rather than account for the differences in LDL particle size and that has caused a misconception that LDL itself is the cause of Atherosclerosis.

    Carbs and being overweight are now being linked to small dense LDL particles whilst saturated fats such as Coconut oil enlarge the LDL particles, making them less likely to be oxidised and form plaque in the arteries.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable

  9. Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    In their defence, there is a link between small LDL particles and heart disease. The issue here is that a lot of blood work done only includes total LDL count rather than account for the differences in LDL particle size and that has caused a misconception that LDL itself is the cause of Atherosclerosis.

    Carbs and being overweight are now being linked to small dense LDL particles whilst saturated fats such as Coconut oil enlarge the LDL particles, making them less likely to be oxidised and form plaque in the arteries.
    Interesting...I wish the low fat/ low carb debate could just be settled. I feel like everyone has a counter to every argument/point that the other side makes.

    Like the above poster said though, I really don't see the low fat thing ever going away either. Especially for commercially selling weightloss, I mean it is the easiest way for the average person to cut calories from their diet.
    Training log:

    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/267913-jswains-training-log.html

  10. Quote Originally Posted by jswain34 View Post

    Interesting...I wish the low fat/ low carb debate could just be settled. I feel like everyone has a counter to every argument/point that the other side makes.

    Like the above poster said though, I really don't see the low fat thing ever going away either. Especially for commercially selling weightloss, I mean it is the easiest way for the average person to cut calories from their diet.


    It's the easiest way to make money, that's why it won't go away. If it says low fat or diet on the box your average joe "feels" better about the crap they put in themselves.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by hardwork25

    It's the easiest way to make money, that's why it won't go away. If it says low fat or diet on the box your average joe "feels" better about the crap they put in themselves.
    Exactly plus look at the lobbying for corn(hfcs) vs high fat diets.

  12. Thankfully, McDonald's has solved the obesity crisis with their heavily advertised new breakfast egg white sandwich... because egg yolks have been making kids and adults fat since the invention of the chicken
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Health Benefits of Saturated Fats
    By Al Shades in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 12-18-2007, 04:07 AM
  2. Saturated fats and hormone production- question for the diet guys
    By Champ50 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-08-2007, 05:54 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-13-2006, 03:49 PM
  4. One high-saturated fat meal can be bad
    By yeahright in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-09-2006, 10:25 PM
Log in
Log in