Eating 6 meals per day; not quite Broscience

1. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.86%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Eating 6 meals per day; not quite Broscience

Increased protein intake and meal frequency reduces abdominal fat during energy balance and energy deficit
    Objective

Unrefined, complex carbohydrates and lean protein diets are used to combat obesity, although it's unknown whether more frequent meals may improve this response. The effects of consuming traditional (∼15%) versus higher (∼35%) protein intakes as three or six meals/day on abdominal fat, postprandial thermogenesis (TEM), and cardiometabolic biomarkers in overweight individuals during 28 days of energy balance (BAL) and deficit (NEG), respectively were compared.

Design and Methods

Overweight individuals (n = 30) were randomized into three groups: two high-protein groups (35% of energy) consumed as three (HP3) or six (HP6) meals/day and one group consumed three meals/day of a traditional intake (TD3). Following a 5-day baseline control (CON), subjects consumed their respective diets throughout a 56-day intervention consisting of two, 28 day phases: a BAL followed by a NEG phase (75% of energy needs). Total body fat (BF) and abdominal BF (ABF), body weight (BW), TEM, and fasting biomarkers were assessed at the end of CON, BAL, and NEG phases.

Results

BW remained stable throughout CON and BAL in all groups, whereas BF (P < 0.001) and ABF (P < 0.01) decreased in HP groups and lean body mass (LBM) and leptin increased in HP6. Following NEG, BW decreased in all groups. BF, ABF, and leptin decreased in HP groups; LBM remained higher (P < 0.05), and TEM was highest in HP6 (P < 0.05).

Conclusions

Consuming increased protein (∼35%) more frequently (6×) throughout the day decreases BF and ABF, increases LBM and TEM, and favorably affects adipokines more than current recommendations for macronutrients consumed over three meals/day in overweight individuals during both BAL and NEG.

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.32%

Do you have a link to the actual study? Sounds like the conclusion is just comparing the high protein diet to the crappy American diet.

There are plenty of studies that show the lack of importance of spreading your meals out.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.43%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by SgtP View Post
    Do you have a link to the actual study? Sounds like the conclusion is just comparing the high protein diet to the crappy American diet.

There are plenty of studies that show the lack of importance of spreading your meals out.
    we had a HUGE debate over this on BB.com...there were a lot of holes in the study
    *185th U.S. Air Force*
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.86%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by cumminslifter View Post
    we had a HUGE debate over this on BB.com...there were a lot of holes in the study
    People will find whatever they can to try debunk a study and only adhere to studies that suit their partcicular mindset or predisposition. The study compared the same caloric meals spread out over either 3-6 meals and with one group acting as a control.

It would be hard to find a study that fits every single parameter you are looking for. Take from it as you will, just another perspective to throw continual spanners into the works
  5. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.13%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

What is the link to the BB.com discussion? I can't find it.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.43%

Quote Originally Posted by bdcc View Post
    What is the link to the BB.com discussion? I can't find it.
    I tried to find it myself. I couldnt
    *185th U.S. Air Force*
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.96%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Well, it's not about debunking to fit their opinion, it's all about seeing whether or not there are holes in it.

There have been some studies that show fasting is good, and there weren't many flaws in it. There have been studies with how many meals can affect you a day, etc. All in all, unless the study is good, it won't really give many answers, and in the end, it doesn't matter all that much, it is just what fits your lifestyle better and there is no cookie cutter approach.
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.43%

Quote Originally Posted by bla55 View Post
    Well, it's not about debunking to fit their opinion, it's all about seeing whether or not there are holes in it.

There have been some studies that show fasting is good, and there weren't many flaws in it. There have been studies with how many meals can affect you a day, etc. All in all, unless the study is good, it won't really give many answers, and in the end, it doesn't matter all that much, it is just what fits your lifestyle better and there is no cookie cutter approach.
    this^almost every study out there has a study disproving what the other study proved
    *185th U.S. Air Force*
  9. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.86%

Quote Originally Posted by bla55 View Post

Curious as to what the "holes" are and why they affect the outcome of the study.

Considering that the n3 and the n6 had the same meals with the same percentage of protein just spread out over longer duration with a 'traditional diet' acting as a control @ 15% of intake as protein. Therefore the "flaws" between the n3 and the n6 have nothing to do with food choices
  10. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.48%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

This was actually done pretty good. (Jiggz if you want the FT hit me up.)
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  11. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.86%

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    This was actually done pretty good. (Jiggz if you want the FT hit me up.)
    I have it now, CS
  12. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.08%

Just eat clean, an when you're hungry problem solved. As long as you hit your cal/prp intake at the end of the day you're fine
  13. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.13%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

I would like the full text please.
    PES Representative
  14. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.32%

I'd like to see the full text also. Seems like the conclusion is comparing 6 meals with 35% protein to a standard crappy low protein diet. I've read it 100 times now. What am I missing.
  15. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.13%

There are two high protein groups, three groups in total.

35% protein spread over 3 meals per day vs 35% protein spread over 6 meals per day vs traditional diet.
    PES Representative
  16. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.48%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I'd like to see the full text also. Seems like the conclusion is comparing 6 meals with 35% protein to a standard crappy low protein diet. I've read it 100 times now. What am I missing.
    The third group.

There was a high protein (35%) group who had 3 meals a day
  17. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.48%

Stupid phone. I didnt see you posted that
  18. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.84%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

I'd like to see how the bodyfat loss compared between the HP3 and HP6
  19. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.48%

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    I'd like to see how the bodyfat loss compared between the HP3 and HP6
    Body fat (%)
    CON (Day 0) - BAL (Day 29) - NEG (Day 57)
    TD3 - 37.5 - 36.5 - 36.4
    HP3 - 34.4 - 32.5 - 32.4
    HP6 - 37.2 - 35.0 - 34.4
  20. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.84%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

ah above it said "Overweight individuals" but those are on the edge of morbidly obese. Hmm. still interesting
  21. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'5"  241 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.2%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

I am a believer in eating many times a day. Mainly to keep you sane.

Protien carbs,fat whatever stays in your body long enough to process. The only problem with 1 meal a day is stomach issues and a large as hell insulin spike which will most likely store a good ammount as fat.

Smaller insulin spikes keep ya lean in my opinion. When I'm gaining I eat 6 to 8 meals/day. Cutting is a different story because insulin can inhibit fat burning. Bigger spikes,less time insulin is present. I'm not a scientist and this may be bro science but it works for me
    Representative of Chaos and Pain, LLC
    https://www.facebook.com/ChaosAndPain Like us on facebook!
    http://www.chaosandpain.com/
  22. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.66%

Quote Originally Posted by pyrobatt View Post

Protien carbs,fat whatever stays in your body long enough to process. The only problem with 1 meal a day is stomach issues and a large as hell insulin spike which will most likely store a good ammount as fat.

Smaller insulin spikes keep ya lean in my opinion. When I'm gaining I eat 6 to 8 meals/day. Cutting is a different story because insulin can inhibit fat burning. Bigger spikes,less time insulin is present. I'm not a scientist and this may be bro science but it works for me
    If it works, it works
    iForce Nutrition Representative
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate…iForce!
    www.iforcenutrition.com
  23. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.43%

Quote Originally Posted by pyrobatt View Post

do you plan on not eating at all?
    *185th U.S. Air Force*
  24. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'5"  241 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.2%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

do you plan on not eating at all?
    When cutting I eat more like 4 meals haha.
    Representative of Chaos and Pain, LLC
    https://www.facebook.com/ChaosAndPain Like us on facebook!
    http://www.chaosandpain.com/
  25. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.96%

Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Curious as to what the "holes" are and why they affect the outcome of the study.

Considering that the n3 and the n6 had the same meals with the same percentage of protein just spread out over longer duration with a 'traditional diet' acting as a control @ 15% of intake as protein. Therefore the "flaws" between the n3 and the n6 have nothing to do with food choices
    True, but there are so many holes that can be hypothesized over here...

How were the meals done? What was the macro of each meal? When was the workout taking place? Was the caloric intake also the same? Food choices? GI indexes?

For instance; the N6 group, if they were to workout at 3PM, and at 5PM they had a meal, whereas the N3 also worked out at 3PM but didn't eat until 8PM, couldn't you see cause for disparity on their muscle gain?

6 Meals a day, say we are consuming slow digesting carbs. They would be spread out through the day, so by the end of the day, say 8PM, they were only consuming 1/6 of their carbs before bed, whereas the N3 would be consuming 1/3. Could also see a cause for disparity.

It's not just the amount of meals that we should focus on, but how they are spread and how it correlates to nutrition timing in regards to workout.

Edit: Oh, and nevermind... we are talking about morbidly obese people here almost... a completely different animal (no pun intended, although kinda funny) and I'm assuming there was little workout involved and merely the diet alone, which would then make sense as they are keeping levels low throughout the day and it doesn't matter if they are trying to have some nutrition timing down.
  26. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.09%

There's always studies and articles that support and blast this stuff. All i know is when I have a clean diet that's high protein/low carb and eat 6 meals a day ( 3- whole foods ,3- protein shakes with snack i.e Fruit and PB) I look , feel and perform better, and gain lean mass better then when I don't.
  27. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.48%

@bla55 have you read the text? Most of your "holes" are either accounted for in the study or arent holes at all.

It os easy to say they didnt do or did something wrong. Instead of just randomly claiming "holes" why not come up with reasoning as to why this woyld cause a significant impact on the results. How much of a difference would these "holes" make and why.
  28. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.96%

I have not seen a link to the actual study yet to read it, so no, I was hypothesizing

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 09-02-2011, 01:59 PM
  2. 4-5 meals a day is NOT good.
    By jcr1 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 07-12-2010, 04:19 AM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-05-2009, 06:45 PM
  4. How Much Salt Do You Eat Per Day?
    By SoCo4Fun in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-18-2008, 08:10 PM
  5. Eat unhealthy food, or not eating at all?
    By bigbadboss101 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-30-2002, 12:08 PM