Sugar after weighg training???

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.56%

Sugar after weighg training???

I heard sugar is good for after weight training! I want to know if it's true and why?

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.47%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by butrybench555 View Post
    I heard sugar is good for after weight training! I want to know if it's true and why?
    completely false. the idea behind it is to rapidly replenish glycogen levels, which is totally irrelevant to a weight lifter who doesn't deplete glycogen hardly at all in a workout.

it could be beneficial to rapidly restore glycogen levels if you are a high endurance athlete competing in multiple bout of endurance exercises back to back.
    *185th U.S. Air Force*
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.19%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by cumminslifter View Post
    completely false. the idea behind it is to rapidly replenish glycogen levels, which is totally irrelevant to a weight lifter who doesn't deplete glycogen hardly at all in a workout.

it could be beneficial to rapidly restore glycogen levels if you are a high endurance athlete competing in multiple bout of endurance exercises back to back.
    To further his point even for those types of athletes there are better options than sugar
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.83%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Leucine + whey.
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.47%

Quote Originally Posted by machorox123 View Post
    To further his point even for those types of athletes there are better options than sugar
    very true
    *185th U.S. Air Force*
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.56%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Best thing is add some cinnamon to your post shake and your good to go
    [/COLOR]I'm a Brooklyn boy I may take some gettin' use to
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.47%

Quote Originally Posted by halfhuman View Post
    Best thing is add some cinnamon to your post shake and your good to go
    explain please, not arguing
    *185th U.S. Air Force*
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.37%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Depends on what the weight lifter is doing.. A powerlifter perhaps; if rest periods are sufficient but a traditional bodybuilder will use Glycogen as they tend to have lower rest periods which do not allow for full PCr recovery;

Also the idea of sugar is not just to replenish glycogen; it is to promote insulin secretion to attenuate protein breakdown (thus making protein balance more positive).

Sugar isn't necessary, but it does have its logic.
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.47%

Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Depends on what the weight lifter is doing.. A powerlifter perhaps; if rest periods are sufficient but a traditional bodybuilder will use Glycogen as they tend to have lower rest periods which do not allow for full PCr recovery;

Also the idea of sugar is not just to replenish glycogen; it is to promote insulin secretion to attenuate protein breakdown (thus making protein balance more positive).

Sugar isn't necessary, but it does have its logic.
    even during a "bodybuilding" workout. glycogen levels are hardly depleted, and definitely not needing to be rapidly replenished.
    also protein alone is very insulinotropic, no need for carbs(especially table sugar)
    *185th U.S. Air Force*
  10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.33%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

So adding sweet n low to my post shakes isnt necessary?
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.47%

Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
    So adding sweet n low to my post shakes isnt necessary?
    truvia tastes so much better, hell even splenda tastes better than sweet and low
    *185th U.S. Air Force*
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.07%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Stay away from sweet and low It has calcium silicate in it. That is used in all forms of insulation including asbestos, not good.
  13. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.56%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

explain please, not arguing
    Some studies show it helps decrease HbA1c, total cholesterol, and triglyceride levels all this while it can increase your plasma insulin, hepatic glycogen, and HDL levels in your body. Your suppose to take about 20mg I believe per day day which one table spoon equals about 2260mg

It's good to add to your diet for many reasons. It may not be that important to dose post workout But throughout the day should be good for general health. It also shows to delay gastric emptying and it even makes up for temporary insulin resistance due to lack of sleep which alot of people do lack.

These are many good benefits I've read on cinnamon.

Here's a study I read; Cinnamon improves insulin sensitivity

In one study conducted with 60 people with type 2 diabetes, the daily ingestion of 1, 3, and 6 grams of cinnamon per day for 40 days decreased blood glucose levels by 18-29% (meaning that their cells were responding better to insulin). The group eating 6 grams per day experienced a significant reduction in only 20 days. These effects have also been noted in healthy adults, with the effective dosage being 3 grams per day. To put these dosages into perspective, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon is about 3 grams.
  14. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.07%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Some studies show it helps decrease HbA1c, total cholesterol, and triglyceride levels all this while it can increase your plasma insulin, hepatic glycogen, and HDL levels in your body. Your suppose to take about 20mg I believe per day day which one table spoon equals about 2260mg

It's good to add to your diet for many reasons. It may not be that important to dose post workout But throughout the day should be good for general health. It also shows to delay gastric emptying and it even makes up for temporary insulin resistance due to lack of sleep which alot of people do lack.

In one study conducted with 60 people with type 2 diabetes, the daily ingestion of 1, 3, and 6 grams of cinnamon per day for 40 days decreased blood glucose levels by 18-29% (meaning that their cells were responding better to insulin). The group eating 6 grams per day experienced a significant reduction in only 20 days. These effects have also been noted in healthy adults, with the effective dosage being 3 grams per day. To put these dosages into perspective, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon is about 3 grams.
    Very nice info! Thanks
  15. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.56%

Quote Originally Posted by pete8407 View Post

Very nice info! Thanks
    Anytime brotha
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.47%

o yes I know all of the benefits of cinnamon, I have researched it quite a bit. I thought you were specifically saying take it post workout. hence why I asked.
    *185th U.S. Air Force*
  17. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.56%

o yes I know all of the benefits of cinnamon, I have researched it quite a bit. I thought you were specifically saying take it post workout. hence why I asked.
    Ohhhh.From what I've seen it's best to take prior to meals. Some will argue about the whole thing on insulin post workout.
  18. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.47%

Ohhhh.From what I've seen it's best to take prior to meals. Some will argue about the whole thing on insulin post workout.
    ya ya I got you
    *185th U.S. Air Force*
  19. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.37%

even during a "bodybuilding" workout. glycogen levels are hardly depleted, and definitely not needing to be rapidly replenished.
    also protein alone is very insulinotropic, no need for carbs(especially table sugar)
    Too right, I was just saying that you could use sugar for that means, not that it was the only means

Bodybuilding does tend to have an effect on glycogen, but definitely not as much as I made it seem. It all depends on TUT, reps, sets etc. which is highly variable from person to person. If you followed a rep temp of 2-0-2 or something and did 12 reps you would engage the lactic acid system to some degree for instance.

But that doesn't support the need for sugar lol
  20. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.47%

Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Too right, I was just saying that you could use sugar for that means, not that it was the only means

Bodybuilding does tend to have an effect on glycogen, but definitely not as much as I made it seem. It all depends on TUT, reps, sets etc. which is highly variable from person to person. If you followed a rep temp of 2-0-2 or something and did 12 reps you would engage the lactic acid system to some degree for instance.

But that doesn't support the need for sugar lol
    totally agree
    *185th U.S. Air Force*

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-24-2012, 12:58 PM
  2. Ice Baths after weight training.
    By Jasen in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-31-2011, 04:11 PM
  3. Replies: 41
    Last Post: 04-29-2010, 03:15 PM