1. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.16%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Need something to take for anxiety.

So, I've been having anxiety bad lately along with insomnia, I'm not sure if they're both related. I've had a social anxiety all my life, while that has gotten better, anxiety in general seem to have gotten worse. I've tried gaba, no help. I've tried saint john's wart, no help. I've been on anti-depressants and they all cause bad side effects, like ED and generally are not good. The only thing that seems to help is marijuana, but getting a hold of it is an issue and I'd rather take something that is legal if it works. I was looking up info on anti-anxiety meds and most of them seem to have very bad side effects, such as sexual side effects, effecting metabolism, which I definitely don't want since I'm trying to build muscle and some of them even have the side effect of memory loss. So, I guess my question is, has anyone here had any success on an anti-anxiety medication and were you still able to train and see results just as well on them?

2. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.11%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Xanax works really well for me. I can still function at work and in general. No probs lifting or any other side effects. Just my .02.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.16%

Quote Originally Posted by wicked442 View Post
    Xanax works really well for me. I can still function at work and in general. No probs lifting or any other side effects. Just my .02.
    Thanks. I'm trying to come up with a list of meds to ask my doctor about, hence why I made the thread. I've taken some of my grandmom's xanax recently to help me sleep. I don't know the dosage, but it's pretty much the only thing that has fought my insomnia. Even taking 6mg of melatonin I have trouble sleeping and I can rarely sleep more than 4 hours at a time.
    •   

4. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.11%

Your welcome man. Anxiety sux to deal with. Lorazapam is another med. It makes me very tired but xanax does not. I know people that fall asleep with xanax but not lorazapam. Its kind of a trial and error thing. Good luck!
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.16%

Your welcome man. Anxiety sux to deal with. Lorazapam is another med. It makes me very tired but xanax does not. I know people that fall asleep with xanax but not lorazapam. Its kind of a trial and error thing. Good luck!
    Yeah I just do not want any sexual side effects, that's one the main reasons I will not take anti-depressants anymore. I was worried about taking meds because of that issue and when I heard some of these meds can mess with metabolism and memory I got concerned. Which is the whole reason why I asked in the forum if the pills could effect lifting, because well my doctor is not a bodybuilder lol.
  6. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.11%

I have been taking xanax for couple years( prescribed and monitored by a dr) with no sexual sides or any other probs. I know how to manage my anxiety very well tho. Once i found the dose that worked for me i have no probs.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.16%

I have been taking xanax for couple years( prescribed and monitored by a dr) with no sexual sides or any other probs. I know how to manage my anxiety very well tho. Once i found the dose that worked for me i have no probs.
    Thanks for the help.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'0"  114 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.35%

Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    So, I've been having anxiety bad lately along with insomnia, I'm not sure if they're both related. I've had a social anxiety all my life, while that has gotten better, anxiety in general seem to have gotten worse. I've tried gaba, no help. I've tried saint john's wart, no help. I've been on anti-depressants and they all cause bad side effects, like ED and generally are not good. The only thing that seems to help is marijuana, but getting a hold of it is an issue and I'd rather take something that is legal if it works. I was looking up info on anti-anxiety meds and most of them seem to have very bad side effects, such as sexual side effects, effecting metabolism, which I definitely don't want since I'm trying to build muscle and some of them even have the side effect of memory loss. So, I guess my question is, has anyone here had any success on an anti-anxiety medication and were you still able to train and see results just as well on them?
    I'm a foreign medical graduate and we used a medication which component is called quetiapine. I've researched the name here in America and it's called seroquel. Its a very good medication used to treat depression, bipolar and schizophrenia disorders and of course general anxiety disorders. It's not only good for that but it ha a sedative component. 1/4 of a piece it's pretty much enough to make people sleep like a baby and wake up feeling better. Controls anxiety very well to the point you feel like nothing matters and everything is beautiful. I would ask about this medication. Like I say we used it down in Central America.
  9. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.11%

Quote Originally Posted by michelle82 View Post

I'm a foreign medical graduate and we used a medication which component is called quetiapine. I've researched the name here in America and it's called seroquel. Its a very good medication used to treat depression, bipolar and schizophrenia disorders and of course general anxiety disorders. It's not only good for that but it ha a sedative component. 1/4 of a piece it's pretty much enough to make people sleep like a baby and wake up feeling better. Controls anxiety very well to the point you feel like nothing matters and everything is beautiful. I would ask about this medication. Like I say we used it down in Central America.
    I agree with michelle. Can be a little costly unless you have ins. Otherwise everything she said is right on.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'0"  114 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.35%

I agree with michelle. Can be a little costly unless you have ins. Otherwise everything she said is right on.
    Thank you wicked442. Yeah I agree it's expensive down in Central America too. The best thing about this medication and all patients felt grateful for was the fact that they could sleep better and have a pretty much regular life. Anxiety attacks were control very well. We prescribed it down there 1 hour prior to going to bed. Hope this helps!
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.16%

I have medicare and medicaid. I should be able to get it, as far as I know, especially if there is a generic forum. My insurance is Priority Partners, if that helps.
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.65%

See your doctor...
    iForce Nutrition Representative
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate…iForce!
    www.iforcenutrition.com
  13. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.84%

1 gram of l theanine
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.95%

As far as natural supps, I take Phenibut and it has been helping me out a lot with anxiety attacks.

I am prescribed Clonazepam daily and the Phenibut helped me being able to lower the dosage on the aforementioned. But Clonazepam is a good choice as well as Xanax.
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html
  15. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.41%

Lorazapam fries your brain - it shuts it down - that's why you can sleep. Over time, it causes major memory problems - I know, I have experienced and know others that have. Trazadone on the other hand works well (that's if your going the Dr prescribed route. There are some good natural GH boosting supplements out there that work very well. And cycling one of these with a Test booster certainly helps the body from getting used to any one thing (and experiencing diminished returns) See the Supplements forum.
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.95%

Quote Originally Posted by bakerwil View Post
    Lorazapam fries your brain - it shuts it down - that's why you can sleep. Over time, it causes major memory problems - I know, I have experienced and know others that have. Trazadone on the other hand works well (that's if your going the Dr prescribed route. There are some good natural GH boosting supplements out there that work very well. And cycling one of these with a Test booster certainly helps the body from getting used to any one thing (and experiencing diminished returns) See the Supplements forum.
    I was prescribed with Clonazepam, the Lorazepam's powerlifter cousin, and it does not give me any sleepiness at all, taking .5mg at a time. Granted, my anxiety disorder is not a low one, I have to take it every day, 2x a day.

Didn't know anything about this memory loss thing, will have to further research but unaware of it, wasn't mentioned by my doctor either.
  17. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.41%

Quote Originally Posted by bla55 View Post
    I was prescribed with Clonazepam, the Lorazepam's powerlifter cousin, and it does not give me any sleepiness at all, taking .5mg at a time. Granted, my anxiety disorder is not a low one, I have to take it every day, 2x a day.

Didn't know anything about this memory loss thing, will have to further research but unaware of it, wasn't mentioned by my doctor either.
    I was not told about it either - found out on my own and spoke with other people who concurred. Just watch out for fogginess, not being able process thoughts quickly or easily - stuff like that. It seems the longer your on it....the more apparent these effects become. The 'Pams' are popular in old folks homes and phych wards - cause it keeps the patient sedated and out of it. They are easy to take care in this state. Terrible stuff IMO.
  18. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.22%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Gamma Amino Butyric Acid, Phenibut and l-tyrosine
    "Don't push away the messages you recieve from the wisdom of your subconcious mind"
  19. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.16%

Quote Originally Posted by burpees View Post
    1 gram of l theanine
    Too expensive, especially since most bottles I saw only come with 100mg pills, 200 at most and cost $15 for 60 pills.
  20. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.16%

Quote Originally Posted by suresha View Post
    Gamma Amino Butyric Acid, Phenibut and l-tyrosine
    How much would that cost me?
  21. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.22%

I was prescribed Buspar and was an avid user for years, until I stopped using Pharmaceuticals altogether.

From a trial and error basis, I've found a mixture of GABA and St. Johns wort deemed most effective (daytime). For any nighttime issues, I'd recommend investing in Valerian root and Melatonin.

There's a plethora of clinical information online about the efficacy of these products, do your research.
  22. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.95%

Quote Originally Posted by mike0589 View Post
    I was prescribed Buspar and was an avid user for years, until I stopped using Pharmaceuticals altogether.

From a trial and error basis, I've found a mixture of GABA and St. Johns wort deemed most effective (daytime). For any nighttime issues, I'd recommend investing in Valerian root and Melatonin.

There's a plethora of clinical information online about the efficacy of these products, do your research.
    Even small dosages of Gaba give me the itches :/
  23. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.22%

Even small dosages of Gaba give me the itches :/
    Noots?

- Alpha GPC, Huperzine A, DMAE, Cholin Citrate, Vinpocetine? To name a few.

These alleviated my anxiety, as well.
  24. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.95%

I've been taking phenibut and it has helped me lower my Clonazepam dosage, haven't tried the others mentioned yet, though, may give it a shot.

Valerian Root was pretty useless to me.
  25. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.22%

I've been taking phenibut and it has helped me lower my Clonazepam dosage, haven't tried the others mentioned yet, though, may give it a shot.

Valerian Root was pretty useless to me.
    I wasn't aware you were taking Phenibut and Clonazepam, that explains a lot.
  26. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.95%

As far as natural supps, I take Phenibut and it has been helping me out a lot with anxiety attacks.

I am prescribed Clonazepam daily and the Phenibut helped me being able to lower the dosage on the aforementioned. But Clonazepam is a good choice as well as Xanax.
    Yep. lol. But Gaba I was unable to; Phenibut has helped, Gaba only made my itch like a motherf.... Especially if taken at night.
  27. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.38%

Pregnelone is proven to help with anxeity.
  28. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  179 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.55%

have you tried meditation?
  29. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.16%

Quote Originally Posted by bossman523 View Post
    have you tried meditation?
    *face palm* As I stated I have, many different kinds.
  30. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  179 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.55%

oh, sorry. how about exercise?
  31. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.5%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

This may be a little off the wall but Ketamine has been an object of study recently. Now Im not suggesting going to a local street dealer or anything but Ketamine does have proven medicinal abilitys for long term relief against Depression and anxiety. This is a write up Times Mag did earlier this year
    http://healthland.time.com/2013/01/0...tidepressants/
    RIP IRONFLEX
  32. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.09%

Quote Originally Posted by McCrew530 View Post
    This may be a little off the wall but Ketamine has been an object of study recently. Now Im not suggesting going to a local street dealer or anything but Ketamine does have proven medicinal abilitys for long term relief against Depression and anxiety. This is a write up Times Mag did earlier this year
    http://healthland.time.com/2013/01/0...tidepressants/
    A "k hole" will most definitely relieve some anxiety as well as immobilize you and send you on a massive psychedelic voyage inward
  33. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  179 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.55%

k-holes are crazy. i imagined i was in the kitchen making a sandwich while i was lying on a sofa.
  34. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.62%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Pretty sure when your in a k hole your body and mind seperate so to speak and its just like nothingness
  35. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.09%

Quote Originally Posted by drinkyboy View Post
    Pretty sure when your in a k hole your body and mind seperate so to speak and its just like nothingness
    You're wrong about the nothingness but right about the separation of body and mind. An out of body experience is not uncommon while under the influence of ketamine
  36. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.21%

Try smoking a little bit of high quality ganja, an indica strain in specific. Always took the anxiety brought on by other drugs away from me.
    “Ideas are far more powerful than guns. We don't let our enemies have guns. Why should we let them have ideas?" - General Secretary of The Union of Soviet Socialist Republics, Joseph Stalin.
  37. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  179 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.55%

pot used to make my anxiety and depression worse
  38. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.21%

Quote Originally Posted by bossman523 View Post
    pot used to make my anxiety and depression worse
    It's all about the strain. As a medical industry cultivator I can tell you this for sure, some powerful strains are not meant to be smoked by certain people, it makes them psychotic. Same goes with highly inorganic pot, like super hydro; that **** is pure chemicals. Also don't smoke the Reggie's aka shwag (or swag depending what dialect of Ebonics you speak) it's just not good for you period.
    Go to CO or CA get your red or green card, enter a green cross store and ask for good quality anxiety medicine. It doesn't even have to be pot, it can be a lollipop, browny, rice crispy, canabicola..etc
    “Ideas are far more powerful than guns. We don't let our enemies have guns. Why should we let them have ideas?" - General Secretary of The Union of Soviet Socialist Republics, Joseph Stalin.
  39. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  179 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.55%

nah, my pot and drug using days are done. (i hope)
  40. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.65%

I mainly used Phenibut for sleep, can't imagine taking it before a workout.
    iForce Nutrition Representative
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate…iForce!
    www.iforcenutrition.com

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 79
    Last Post: 09-10-2012, 08:23 PM
  2. Anything to take for someone that doesnt eat a lot of veggies?
    By San Quinn in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 01-29-2008, 12:43 PM
  3. Help! Need something to lower Cholesterol
    By superdrollover in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 09-08-2007, 03:49 PM
  4. what to take for PCT
    By warriorway in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-23-2004, 11:18 PM
  5. what is the best ph to take for an extended cycle