Net Carbs ? - AnabolicMinds.com

Net Carbs ?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  247 lbs.

Net Carbs ?

I recently bought a pack of whole wheat tortillas. On the package, it has the term net carbs. After a little reading, it seems that "net carbs" is a marketing ploy. Ex, each tortilla has 32g of carbs, 26 of which are fiber. The idea, from what I understand, is that those 26g of fiber don't really count. I was looking at the carb nite diet so I was wondering, what's the truth about net carbs ?

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  177 lbs.

A gram of dietary fiber has about 2 calories, rather than 4. So you can correct the total number of calories by multiplying the grams of fiber by 2 and then subtracting from 4*carbs.
    For instance, if your 32g of carbs were straight sugars, that'd be about 32*4 = 128 calories of carbs. But, if there are 26 grams of fiber in there, then there are 26*2 = 52 fewer calories. So that's actually only 128 - 52 = 76 grams of carbs.

As far as the whole "don't count" thing, that's really aimed at diabetics, who have to care about that sort of thing more than other people do. It's not total bs, but the whole idea that those grams just "don't count" is a bit of an exaggeration.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

The body can't digest fiber so it basically passes through with no structure change, hence why the carbs from fiber don't really count.
    Justin
    joh408 is taking Follidrone on a ride:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/252416-joh408-taking-follidrone.html
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Fiber has a neutral effect on blood sugar which is why it is subtracted. But let's talk about eating 26g of fiber at once..... whoa
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I was thinking this was going to be something different. Watch out for the phrase "net carbs" or "impact carbs" A lot of times they will include sugar alcohols. But in this case they got it right. I don't count fiber towards my useable carb count.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.

26 grams of fiber... Sounds like a trip to the bathroom to me..
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  143 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by OHlympia View Post
    26 grams of fiber... Sounds like a trip to the bathroom to me..
    lmao, this. in for bowel movement of peace
    iForce Nutrition Representative - iTrain. iCompete. iDominate
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  247 lbs.

Have ate 2 of the tortillas so far, no bathroom issues. The ground flax seed on the other hand ...
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by OptimusX View Post
    Have ate 2 of the tortillas so far, no bathroom issues. The ground flax seed on the other hand ...
    Sounds like someone will be playing the butt trumpet all day at work then...
  10. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  182 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by joh408 View Post
    The body can't digest fiber so it basically passes through with no structure change, hence why the carbs from fiber don't really count.
    For the most part true. However:

Fiber Has No Calories
    FALSE: Fiber is essentially composed of a bundle of sugar molecules. These molecules are held together by chemical bonds that your body has trouble breaking. In fact, your small intestine—can't break down soluble or insoluble fiber; both types just go right through you. That's why some experts say fiber doesn't provide any calories. However, this claim isn't entirely accurate. In your large intestine, soluble fiber's molecules are converted to short-chain fatty acids, which do provide a few calories. A gram of regular carbohydrates has about 4 calories, as does a gram of soluble fiber, according to the FDA. (Insoluble fiber has essentially zero calories.)
    http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/fa...er/printer.php

I can believe I just quoted a Men's Health article
  11. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

what about inulin? which is in fiber one. ive heard that the body does not digest that.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. UD 2.0 and 'net' carbs.
    By soontobbeast in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-11-2010, 03:38 PM
  2. Best Tasting LOW NET CARB Tortillas????
    By Whacked in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-05-2009, 07:07 AM
  3. Sandwich buns, 2 net carbs
    By rok in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-11-2004, 10:56 PM
  4. Carb sensistive after keto diet?
    By lbm4life in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-04-2002, 03:56 PM
  5. High/Medium Carb Diets...