Dairy..ok or not ?

OptimusX

Awards
My current goal is body fat loss, I'm at 36% currently. I don't want to lose any muscle in the process though. I lift moderately heavy 3-4 days/week and I just started HIIT cardio. Anyways, my question is about dairy. I've been told to avoid dairy and that I need dairy for its protein(whey and casein), by 2 different trainers. I currently use dairy in my diet in the form of 1% milk in my protein shake and sometimes a 1/4 cup of cheese(fiesta blend shredded) in a chicken quesadilla. (On a whole wheat tortilla) So should I ditch the dairy or is it good to go ?

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
cals in vs cals out. especially when youre at 36% bf

by hiit, do you mean sprints or bike?

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
ove dairy and it loves me.. No bloat and i go with the fat free just for the reason of getting healthier fats from other sources. If it doesn't voter your stomach go for it.. Just watch your calories. Dairy wud only make a difference at very low bf levels and also depends on and individual basis

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Why would dairy affect your ability to lose weight?

OptimusX

Awards
I'm guessing because its a fat source or maybe due to the calories in milk per se are largely carb calories. Not sure, but thinking possibilities.

JD261985

Banned
Awards
Oh my ****ing God if you can't lose weight don't blame it on the dairy please. Eating dairy will not inhibit fat loss as long as everything else is in check

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Eating/ drinking fat doesn't make you fat.

PalmFist

PalmFist

Awards
The no dairy issue is about reducing inflammation...

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Oh no, not Doctor Oz..

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm guessing because its a fat source or maybe due to the calories in milk per se are largely carb calories. Not sure, but thinking possibilities.
Fat is good for you.

130 total calories in a glass of milk. I think you're fine.

PalmFist

PalmFist

Awards
For the record I try to stay away from dairy as much as possible. But I'm very intolerant so...

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
For the record I try to stay away from dairy as much as possible. But I'm very intolerant so...
I never thought I was intolerant (even midly) until I decided to drop lactose from my diet; the change has been dramatic.

eluruguayo

eluruguayo

Awards
If you are 36% body fat, there's no reason to worry about the micronutrients in your diet. Just (i) try to eat as few carbohydrates as possible—ideally all in the post-workout window, and (ii) maybe do a little cardio now and then—not really essential if your diet is on point, but can be good for your heart. If you do those two things, the fat will fall right off of you.

The only solidly substantiated reason to avoid dairy is allergies/intolerance. If you don't have a bad reaction to dairy, then eat a ton of it. When I dropped 30 kgs to get back to my current weight, I was eating as much as 3-4 lbs of nonfat cottage cheese a day. (I am also very impatient when it comes to eating. I don't like chicken breasts because they just take too long to eat, whereas I can inhale a pound of cottage cheese in a matter of seconds.)

Finally, dude, you are 36% body fat. If you want to lose over half of that, then you WILL have to lose at least a small amount of lean mass in the process. (a) Deal with it, (b) you probably don't even accurately know how much muscle mass you have right now, so take it all with a grain of salt.
If you want to lose 60-70 pounds of fat without losing any muscle at all, you're going to need either AAS, or a timeframe of years and years and years. Eh.
Just drop the weight and then do a clean bulk. Don't try to push and pull at the same time.

PalmFist

PalmFist

Awards
I never thought I was intolerant (even midly) until I decided to drop lactose from my diet; the change has been dramatic.
I always knew as a child growing up that it gave me the shyts and caused cramping but for the last six months or so I've been almost entirely lactose free and you are right that it is a big difference...

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Eat your cottage cheese and drink your milk, if you like those things. They will have no negative affect on weight loss. The only thing it might do is make you a little bloated which in turn will make you think you're not losing fat. However, we all respond to dairy differently so you'll have to see if you get bloated.

vassille

Awards
I eat some dairy mostly chesses and cream with fat in them except milk. I dont bloat and im currently single digits bf without any problems.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I'm a chocolate milk man...

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
Highly individual. Do you need to avoid it to lose weight? No, you don't. Fat loss is about being in a caloric deficit. You can still eat fat and lose fat if you're in a deficit. Dairy is one of those things that will vary with each individual. Some people have lactose issues, myself included. I've cut it out just because my stomach effing hates me when I consume it. However, it wouldn't hinder my fat loss efforts should I decide to eat/drink it. If you're not lactose intolerant, do whatever you want. However, many don't know they're lactose intolerant until they eliminate it for about a month and then reintroduce and see what happens. Highly, highly individualized here.

vassille

Awards
You know when you are lactose intolerant in about an hour after you eat it dont need a month for that..lol
Now what causes ppl to be lactose intolerant sometimes is another food they eat like gluten for example which interefers with normal digestion and certain enzyme production.

eluruguayo

eluruguayo

Awards
However, many don't know they're lactose intolerant until they eliminate it for about a month and then reintroduce and see what happens.
Even then it's not a certainty. Introducing (or re-introducing) ANY major dietary change will elicit the "body no likey" response at first. Any change at all. Whatsoever. Even if the change is 100% salubrious in the long run.

Like, if you've been Super Sizing Me for the last five years and suddenly you start throwing down tons of whole foods and fresh vegetables, you'll feel HORRIBLE for a couple of weeks. Gas, more gas, lethargy, diarrhea, maybe nausea... the whole 9 yards. Does that mean you're "vegetable intolerant"? Most likely not, it just means you are adjusting to a big delta.
This is also the reason lots of people get sick/diarrheic when traveling abroad. Sometimes it's the sketchy stuff in the water, but 9 times out of 10 it's just the result of eating foods that make your body say, "whoa wut".

This is not to say that lactose intolerance isn't a thing; clearly, it's a thing. Rather, this is just a warning against being a hypochondriac when it comes to nutrition. If something is really a problem, you should test it beyond just eliminating and re-introducing—unless it's a food that you don't like very much, and so can eliminate from your diet without much ado.

I.e., don't be That Guy who suddenly starts mortifying his friends by insisting on gluten-free vegan non-dairy hemp-based love&light&chakra&etc. meals at restaurants... unless you are actually the 1 in 1,000,000 who actually needs that.